What would you of done?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Becca65, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Becca65

Becca65 Well-Known Member

I was in Kmart this afternoon waiting to exchange a shirt thats to big for my daughter, the line was a little long.. anyways there was this woman standing behind me with 2 boys, the little boy hit my leg, I thought it was an accident, but when i turned around and looked his mom was saying "now stop that".. then he pulled my purse, I turned and gave him a funny look, then he proceded to push the cart into leg.. i'm like what the heck?? discipline your kid geezzz.. I didn't say that but boy did i want too!!! I had a headache that was just hanging on, and i was in no mood.. but what could i say?? what would you do in a situation like that?
    This woman looked the type not to mess with too.. she was short and very big..and had the look on her face that said don't mess with me!!

2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Excuse me would you control your child?

3. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

and if the answer was no I would agin ask "Should I call the cops or defend myself? following that with a laugh might help defuse the situation.
    Or I might just have "accidentally "beaned" him a good one.

4. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

Excuse me, but your child has hit me twice. If you don't do something with him, I'll have to call security.

5. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

We had a similar situation today. I had to take my eldest in to the doctor's walk in hours (long story) but there was a woman there with three kids -- the youngest of which was completely OUT of control. Not the kids fault, she was getting NO supervision, Mum was reading a magazine and would occasionally look up and say "Don't, Mia" when another child would cry out (because this kid had hit, jumped on, or taken a toy from them).

The only seat available was right next to them :rolleyes:

So, I'm sitting there watching this, thinking, "When ARE you going to control your child?" -- apparently never. Finally, the nurse called this woman in, and there was an audible sigh of relief from EVERYONE in the waiting room. Just as they're exiting the waiting room, an elderly woman says, "I understand why some animals eat their young." The man with her said something to the effect of "It isn't the kid that's the problem."

Perhaps you could have offered the woman behind you in line a leash? If I'd had one this morning, I certainly would have been tempted. I told my son (who, along with his brother had been sitting there, staring openmouthed at the behavior that was being allowed) that there have been few times in my life that I've been tempted to put another person's child over my knee, but that was one of them. Perhaps a better solution would be someone putting the MOTHER over their knee. Lack of parenting, IMHO, is responsible for a lot of the problems we have these days.

I really prefer the solitude around here than the "interesting" people I run into when I'm forced to go into Calgary.

6. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

I would have told him to stop it .Dh and I were eating out on our trip when this screaming little girl at the next table jumped up and began shaking dd's high chair.I looked at her very stern and said go sit down and be quite you're acting bad.She looked shocked and sat down.Sometimes they just need some one to tell then to behave.

7. kasilofhome

kasilofhome Well-Known Member

I like the
    Control your child or security will line.

8. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

OH, I don't know. I am pretty hot headed when it comes to unruley kids. I do believe I would of said something like "Excuse me, can you get your child under control?" and I don't know if she would of smarted off back to me I might of just blown a gasket. I have told people before to get their kids under control. I had one lady ask HOW, How would you suggest I do that? Wrong thing to ask me. "It is easy, nothing that a good ASS whipping wouldn't fix, then the kid popped up and said "if she hits me I will call the police". I asked if he wanted me to call for him. I got right down to that smart A!! leval and told him if he thought he had it bad with his mom, wait until you go someplace where they DON"T love you and see how you are treated. He truned around to his mom and started to cry, then he said to her "MOMMY I am sorry, I love you."
    Before I left the store the lady came up to me and thanked me. She said he had not said he loved her in years. He was 9 at the time.

9. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

Certainly an awkward situation, yet I would have looked at the child and said "STOP hitting me!" If that didn't work, or the Mother took offense for some bizarre reason, that's why stores have security guards to sort out those things.

I wouldn't have put up with it just to avoid being the "cranky lady" in the return line, even if the mom looked like a line backer for the NFL. But that's me. :)

10. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Lori, all I can say is - WOW.

:bow:

niki

11. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

If the kid is young enough, I would give them a gentle scare by asking them "Are you supposed to go up to strangers?" Not in a mean voice, but in a firm adult voice.

Sometimes getting the idea into their head that you might be "a stranger" starts them thinking of all of those warnings about talking to strangers - and gets them to back off. Up until that point you are just a plaything or a part of the scenery. Putting out the word STRANGER can sometimes drop their confidence and make them a little less big for their britches.

It doesn't hurt to give them a reminder that people in public places are not their playmates or toys.

Lynda

12. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Now my husband's solution -

Ask the child if he's trying to steal your purse, or if his mother is trying to teach him to steal your purse. Then tell the child that the store security people will want to talk to children who steal purses.

Then enjoy the look of panic on the child's and parent's faces.

Lynda

13. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

Been there done that. Reminds me of a situation at a grocery store. Two kids were running all over the store bumping into people and when they bumped into me I said to them Excuse me but this is not a playground can you stop running into people. So I am in the check out line and this woman came up to me and said I hear you have a problem with my kids. She happened to be white and the kids were black. I said NO I DON'T have a problem with your kids I DO have a problem with them running into people. Well she tried to make it out like it was a racial thing and said Jesus loves ALL children. I said well maybe you should tell your children that Jesus would want them to respect their elders also.

14. momlaffsalot

momlaffsalot Well-Known Member

I would also tell them to stop it. And if mom had a problem with it, I would have a few words to share with her, too. I have a hard time holding my tongue when it comes to bad parenting in public.

15. Natureschild

Natureschild Well-Known Member

I would have ignored the child :shrug:

16. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

:shrug: So she had Don't mess with me look.

Like I had a woman say I would give a if looks could kill look :eek: Seems it kept me out of fights,just making them think I was one Crazy person.

big rockpile

17. asher

asher Well-Known Member

:D Too funny!

18. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I am sure people would think I am a really crabby woman but I don't hesitate for a moment to speak to a child and tell them to stop. I do it all the time. Some parents won't take control of their kids, it's sad really, not the kids fault really.

A few weeks back I was at a fast food restaurant and a kid was sitting at a booth behind me and the kid hit me in the back of the head several times with whatever he was playing with. I turned around and spoke to the mother first and told her that the kid was hitting me in the head would she please ask him to stop. She gave me a dirty look and kept shoving food in her mouth. He did it again a couple of times and I admit that I was pretty PO'd by that time, I turned around stood up and very firmly and probably too loudly said, :p "Boy, you better stop hitting me, NOW" The lady got up in a huff and left. Good, I got to enjoy the rest of my meal in peace.

19. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

First time: Give the kid the big stink-eye. Then tell him very loud "PLEASE DO NOT HIT ME. THANK YOU". Second time - tell, don't ask the mother to control her child, also in a loud voice so that bystanders and employees are aware and can witness the bad behavior. Or....

just get your kid to kick the crap out of her kid. :shrug:

20. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

The little brat would've gotten an accident wallop with the pocketbook.
    I definitely would've said something to the mother. Tough if she looked like a big brute of a thing...It's your right to stand in a line without being clobbered.