What would you like to know or see?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Dawndra, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

My friends & I are trying to get a homesteading demonstration/classes weekend set up. We would like to know what homesteading/self sufficiency thing you would like to know about or learn or see. We have an excellent teaching grounds & want to use them to help turn people onto the homesteading lifestyle.

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd like to know what kind of birthday cake homestead ladies make, and how thick will the frosting be in the month of January.

--------
    -I'm sorry. The devil made me say that. Please IGNOR it

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

On a more serious note, one thing that would-be homesteaders might benifit from knowing is the care and handling plus hands on milking of a family cow.

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Butter making and how to tell if a Chicken is laying.

big rockpile

5. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

LOL.. Unk you're the best!

Well, the frosting runs deep.. but peaks in depth on the 21st. ;)

6. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Thanks for the responses guys! This is exactly what we want to know...

7. margo

margo Well-Known Member

If it were me going, I'd be interested in sewing, quilting, demo's on care of animals, particularly chickens, ideas for reducing consumer costs,( utilities, building methods, any method of using materials thrown away normally, that could be made into a homestead problem solver.
    You didn't say one or the other, so I am assuming that the workshop is tuned toward women's interests? Guys would like probably critter management, hunting related ( not to exclude us girls !). Oh, and one I really want to learn.....knife sharpening....I can never get my knives the way I want them...and so few people I know can get them really really sharp.
    How's that? when does this weekend start? sounds pretty interesting already......Margo
    I bet if Uncle Will shows, we'd know him because he'd be staring at the food demo's slobbering....... :haha:

8. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

Well, we're wanting it to coincide with Carla Emery's visit here at the end of June.

We're in West Central Illinois

There will be workshops for both men and women.

We just had an all day soap & noodle making workshop for ladies. It was a lot of fun!

9. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I think one of the things that had me the most worried was trimming a goat's hooves! I was able to relax once someone showed me how to do it. Maybe learning how to use a drop spindle (I've never even seen a drop spindle!). Injections! When I was just getting started, I guess it came down to livestock care.

10. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Here on the forums there seems to be more questions on water wells than about anything else.

Perhaps a demonstration on pulling submersible pumps, testing pressure switches, adding air to bladder tanks, etc. is in order. I'll be working during that time period or would offer to help with demonstrations.

There might be some interest in welding for men.

11. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

windmills... waterwheels..solar power.

12. comfortablynumb

canning and drying food/various preservation methods.

13. Litsa

Litsa Member

If you are interested in attracting newbies into the wonderful world of homesteading I'd suggest classes on fairly simple skills that are quick to reward for the efforts, giving particular attention to grand picture of homesteading. If you are wanting to attract students who are already into homesteading then I'd go for the more specialized classes, like goat hoof trimming or well drawing. For myself, I'd be likely to join a class on solar power.

14. comfortablynumb

how about washing clothes without electricity...

15. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

WOW... maybe we should expand it to a week long thing!

we can do all those things!

16. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

I would be interested in learning soapmaking and ciderpressing. I want to do both, but have been stalling because I've never seen them done. I learn better if I watch someone do it first.

I love the idea of knife-sharpening. That's a great skill to know. Maybe tool sharpening, too.

17. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............. A well designed program on the basics of water wells , fundamentals of wiring , theory of operation , diagnosis of controller and pressure tank problems , How to properly use and interpret a (VOM) volt\ohm meter to check all electricial facets of both water wells and your homestead wiring systems , etc . Not all who take the class will grasp the concepts but if the presentation is given at a very basic level it will be tremendously valuable In my opinion . fordy... :)

18. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

How about coping with frozen water and septics, and other emergencies on the homestead.

19. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Taking wool from the sheep to the loom, animal care including medicial care, butter and cheese making, soap making. Some might want to know how to keep bees --we beekeepers are, always giving free dem/talks on our bees. Sounds like a fun time

20. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I agree with Litsa-- You're going to have to decide whether you're focusing on specialized skills for established homesteaders or on "the basics" for those just getting into it. Coming from the standpoint of one who has yet to master the basics, I would love to see a program that includes

- basics of raising animals for food (maybe limit to chickens, pig, milk cow)

- building basics (e.g., turning trees into fence posts, shelves, structures) with only the most basic tools

- felling of trees for firewood; cutting & splitting

- building a basic fence, chicken coop, and corral without a lot of store-bought stuff

- sanitation (managing garbage and human waste, laundering, bathing, strategies for hygiene under primitive circumstances)

- managing pests and predators

- using propane and wood cookstoves

- food preservation, including refrigeration strategies

- winter issues

I would love to attend something like this. One thought: For those of us who would have to travel some distance, a longer program (maybe a week) probably makes more sense. Great idea, Dawndra!