What would you do?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cashcrop, Nov 5, 2004.

1. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

I have aproximately 12 turkeys and a less than a dozen meat chickens that need to be butchered. Butchering myself has become too hard on my lungs. I would take them to a poultry processing plant but, there are only 2 in the state and they are both 5hrs away. I had actually planned to take them to one of them earlier this year until I started my new job(with lots of OT). Every time a animal swap meet came up I was unable to attend one to sell/swap them. I would really like to get rid of them before winter sets in.

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

How about trying to find someone local who would do it for half the meat?

3. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Advertise them in the local paper and hope someone is willing to buy them for a fair price as live weight?

4. JulieNC

JulieNC Well-Known Member

Post something on the barter board . . . there may be someone who doesn't live too far away who'd be happy to barter for your birds or come to some other arrangement.

You can also ask around at your local feed store to see if they know of anyone who is willing to butcher birds for a fee or who might be interested in buying your birds.

5. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody for your responses!! I just posted it on the barter board. If that doesn't work....then I'll put an ad in the yellow paper.

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Cash, if you were near Grantsburg I would be all over that, except that one of my freezers pooped out on me without my knowledge and I'm now boiling up 200 lbs of dog food.