What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Homesteading and Retirement' started by MoonRiver, May 17, 2018.

1. MoonRiver

MoonRiver SM Entrepreneuraholic Supporter

I'm selling my house because 4 acres is too much for me to handle. It seems like all my time is spent cutting grass, picking up and burning dead branches, pruning trees and shrubs, caring for landscaping, maintenance on house, etc. I'm 69+ and this is not how I want to spend my final years.

I'm single, no kids, so I am free to do whatever I want, as long as it is financially reasonable. One doctor recommended and another concurred that I would probably be healthier if I lived much farther South where there are fewer months with low sun exposure. As I lived in Louisiana as a teen, I thought that would be a good place to move.

I'd like to move to that same town (about 8,000 pop), but the houses are about $10k-$20k more than I want to spend. A town about 35 miles away (about 12,000 pop) has several houses in my price range. I think the difference in price is primarily based on closeness to I-10. I have relatives (cousins) and old high school friends in town I grew up in and I wouldn't know anyone in the other town.

The main thing I don't know how to handle is getting older! I want a small house (about 1000 sq ft), with a small yard; but I don't want to be crammed between 2 other houses. A small house and yard is something I can take care of myself for at least the next 10 years, assuming I live that long.

How do I take into account getting older, probably having serious health issues of both short and long durations, maybe being unable to drive, unable to do maintenance on house and cut the grass, etc. I realize you can pay for someone to do all these things, but what good is it to live in a house where you don't get the benefits anymore?

I checked on senior apartments and they seem quite expensive. I don't like living in apartments, but it's something I have to consider. I'm not that concerned about a nursing home because if I ever get to that point, it really won't matter that much.

Any ideas are appreciated, but maybe I just needed to write this down to see if it triggered any ideas. I guess if I could rent a decent house at $500-$700 a month, that might work. Problem is rent will go up faster than my savings. But if anything was to happen to me, getting out of a rental is easier than selling the house.

dsmythe and pixiedoodle like this.
  2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I totally understand. Get a good realtor and have a long discussion with written notes of your requirements.

Be patient. It may take months to find a place like you want.

None of us know how to grow old. It’s our first time.

nehimama, kalmara, vickinell and 4 others like this.

3. hiddensprings

hiddensprings Well-Known Member

My folks are in their late 70’s. They moved a few years ago into a new housing development that is advertised for folks 55 and older. They bought a single family home within that subdivision and love it. All of their neighbors are the same age, the homes are nice, one level, and the yard manageable. Dad is still able to do yard work and have his garden and they are not right on top of their neighbors. The subdivision also has a little club house, swimming pool, and walking trail and folks get together and play cards, talk, etc. Might not be what your looking for but thought I’d suggest it.

nehimama, dsmythe, kinnb and 2 others like this.
  4. MoonRiver

I have another option I have been thinking about. That is to live in my travel trailer and do some traveling until I decide I need a permanent home. I could declare Texas my residence and put off buying or renting until I figure out what meets my needs best. Arrange for mail service, register my trailer and vehicle in Texas, and I'm good to go.

5. dsmythe

dsmythe Well-Known Member

At the end of a dirt road in Mount Airy, GA
    MoonRiver; I am not being mean or disrespectful but why Texas? I like your idea. It has been a dream of mine for a long time but health reasons have hampered my plan. Just wondering. Dsmythe

6. MoonRiver

Since I wouldn't have a permanent address, I have to "fudge" it a little. I belong to an RV club that will provide an address and mail forwarding. They provide this service in Texas, Florida, and S Dakota. I could do it on my own in other states, but for convenience I would probably use this club. This would allow me to become a resident of Texas, register my vehicle and trailer, buy insurance, vote, etc.

You would be surprised how many people do this for health reasons. Living in tune with nature can cure a lot of things.

nehimama and dsmythe like this.
  7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Unless you have a free place to park, you could spend more renting a campsite than you say you are willing to spend for an apartment.

I don't know of anyone who ever chose to live in an RV "for health reasons".

8. Prismseed

Prismseed Self-sufficient newb!

Around here we call them 'Snowbirds' South for the winter and north for the summer. The really well off ones own 2 houses.

I think about the traveling RV when the wife retires myself. If you're still fit and able you can get 'free parking' at lots of campgrounds working as a camp host. Maintaining trails, cleaning the bathrooms, charging admission, working the canoe rental booth.

Not sure your taste in hippies, liberals, and intentional communists, but there could possibly be the option to stay seasonally at intentional communities. Lots of them are self sufficient and low environmental impact. www.ic.org I can't remember the name of the place that did it, but at least one commune hosted RVs and used the grey water to irrigate certain crops.

9. MoonRiver

Lots of places at $12/day and less.

Go on youtube and you will find many videos of people who have greatly improved their health through RVing full-time. Lots of health benefits in going to bed when it gets dark, getting up when the sun comes up, going for walks in nature, and not using a lot of electronics.

vickinell likes this.
  10. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

One doesn't need an RV to do all those things.

Maybe some have.
    I still don't know of any.

I don't doubt there are videos making the claims though.
    I've heard people claim eating DE could cure cancer and AIDS too.

11. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

Single, no kids, and you have an RV...lots of options here.
    Friend of ours (late 50s I think) bought 40 acres of raw land. About a $1000 per acre. Other than a road and trails and a couple acres of pasture it is almost all timber and bordered by Forestry land. He had a well dug and a septic installed and had power run from the pole at the road. Other than mowing a patch around his 30'camper he does little to no work to maintain the property. He was after seclusion. He is about 20 minutes to the nearest town and has good cell service and internet.
    He says he'll live there till he dies. If the camper wears out before that he'll buy another one. Low investment and low monthly costs. Travels when he wants.

dsmythe likes this.
  12. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

I sold my 5 acres at 70 y/o and moved into a single level brick (less upkeep) house on almost an acre in Georgia. Horses across the street in a pasture, and chickens next door so I've got my visual and sound of living rural. Hospital and shopping 5 minutes away, as is my doctor. Although I'm pretty healthy, I know there will be the day...gotta think of the future and make plans today.
    When I can't take care of this place, I'll move into a subsidized senior living apartment. Rent is based upon your income. One is not too far away so I'll be in the same area. Very nice ones are being built more and more as the population gets older. Do some investigation.

nehimama and dsmythe like this.
  13. Prismseed

Prismseed Self-sufficient newb!

Not to discourage but keep yourself aware. I'm not sure about your area but around here the waiting list can be 2 years.

14. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Yeah - the wait list is the only downside. And that's mostly across the country.
    The last thing I want to do is move in with my children, as much as I do love them.

15. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Even though full-time RVing sounds glamorous, I think you may just be trading your current "cutting grass, picking up and burning dead branches, pruning trees and shrubs, caring for landscaping, maintenance on house" for RV maintenance, repairs, and upkeep.

Even though they are crowding, a southern (Texas gulf coast) RV park where you could move in a park model home, might be the ticket. You'd be among ACTIVE people your own age and many of these places have woodshops, metal shops, tours, etc. that keep life fun and interesting.

Wolf mom likes this.
  16. MoonRiver

I have a small, fiberglass travel trailer (egg), so not much maintenance. I tow with a fairly new van, so hopefully not that much maintenance there either.

I have thought about exactly that kind of place. Everything comes down to money. I can't tie up my money in a property that won't at least hold its value and be easy to sell when the time comes.

Cabin Fever likes this.
  17. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Well, if you do decide to travel around, come see us. (I am serious) We live in one of the most beautiful lake/forest areas of the entire USA. If your fiberglass trailer is a Scamp, it was made practically in our backyard.

Scott SW Ohio likes this.
  18. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

It certainly won't hurt to give RVing a try. See how you like it and give yourself time to find the right niche for you.

dsmythe and nehimama like this.