What Would You Do??

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Jan 5, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok now I have two places.First one 20 acres,house,barn and other Buildings.Orchard,Garden.Fence and a spring.Taxes $100 a year.No restrictions,20 miles from very good Fishing Lake and across the Highway from 8,000 acres of Hunting land.

Second place 1 acre,going to put Cabin on it.Up the hill from another major very good Fishing Lake and 55,000 acres of Hunting Land.Could have small Garden,no Farm Animals and other restrictions.Taxes as of now $40.

Problem I get down every so often got rid of animals,decided to Hunt and Fish for meat.Doctor tells me to try to keep busy.I was talking with the wife about getting animals again,but she would have to take care of them if I couldn't.She says they would tie me down,which is true.If Ihad them they would kill all the baby Pine Trees we have planted.But I miss them to.Right now we can leave for four days no problem.

What would you do?

big rockpile

2. TexasMom

TexasMom Member

I would get the animals; what the heck, if it doesn't work out you can always get rid of them again.
    Sometimes I think life would be simpler and just as good if we moved into town. DH never moves from the front of the computer and I'm at work from daylight to dark - but when I DO finally get a chance to fool around with our goats and chickens and stuff - well, I enjoy it. It really is worth it, for some reason. To me anyhow.
    Linda

3. Belle

Belle Active Member

I would go for animals that are less needful of care. Cattle and horses just graze. Your calves could take care of the milk supply. Chicken feeders take care of the chickens if you have big enough/extras for breaks. Goats I can't help you--they just naturally get into trouble if you're not around. Put in extra care on the fencing and find a neighbor's kid who will feed/water once a day for pocket money and try it out a couple of weekends to see.

Life without my animals was pretty lonesome even in town--cats and dogs just don't cut it. But I do miss my goats.. :rolleyes: (Dexters replaced them and they take care of themselves a lot better) :p
    Belle

4. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Beware of "other restrictions". If it's a community group determining restrictions it's nothing but trouble. I was driven out of a campground type of community this year because of a bunch moving in, getting into power and cranking up restrictions. Got lucky in that I ended up in the kind of place I really wanted - where I can have animals and do what I want. Heck, I can even invite someone over without checking in with security!

I would go for the animals also - it sounds like it's what you really enjoy.

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

well, I advise you to move to the one acre, and sell me the 20 acre lot... on article. I promise I will have it paid off in, 20 yrs...35 tops, give or take 10 yrs. I'll have lots of animals you can come visit, and I will sweeten the deal, I will even pay the taxes.
    :haha:
    I didnt think you would go for that one... :no:

6. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

I'd be guessing that the land with the water would likely gain value much quicker, if investment is on your mind. The nearby water - is there any threat of flooding your property or cutting off your property? But then again, you have hunting AND fishing.

I wish I had your problem rockpile. :) I hope you work it out soon.

7. I'd live on the larger plot and put up a second cabin for a likeminded, likable person to rent and let them work off some rent by helping with farm chores. In fact, We are hoping to buy a good chunk of land with my parents so we have nice neighbors to help in raising nice children, healthy food for our table and room to get beneficial exercise. Hunting and fishing are also on the list, as well as having affordable property for our children to make a home on when they are grown. They dont make more land...its a good investment and so is healthy food and practical skills for children.

Alot of people would love to rent a spot where they could garden and have a few critters.

Be sure to use a rental application and a lease agreement to protect yourself if necessary.

Goodluck!

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Think hard before you get the animals.

We can't take a vacation. We both cannot go anywhere together. In the last year, I've been to CA, then to OR twice, but I had to go alone, hubby had to stay and take care of the stock.

We really wanted to go to the Stock Show in Denver this month. Can't. No one to take care of the animals.

I guess it depends on what and how many you have, but it gets old sometimes. Even if we do manage to get away, all we do is worry. I used to think it was hard to find babysitters, but it's much harder to find a good cow sitter!

If you must, then get short-term animals....broilers that will be grown in a couple months, feeder pigs that will be gone in a few months, etc.

Jena

9. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

I'm with Jena on the not being able to go away together. Dh and I never seem to be able to go away camping or hunting together for more than a day or two. Someone has to stay back and care for the animals. And during this bitter below zero stuff we're enjoying right now, I do wish I didn't have to bundle up twice a day to do chores. But the rest of the time I really enjoy them. Great to watch and knowing where our food comes from. No slabs of god knows what on plastic trays from the grocery store for us. Becky

10. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

That's a hard call. Could you still keep your dogs on the 1 acre property? I can't imagine you giving up those little sweeties. What about chickens? They take up almost no room. If there is lots of wild space around the little lot, it might not be so bad. I would suffocate in a town lot, but some people don't mind having lots of neighbors. We can't go anywhere because of our animals, but I traveled a lot when I was younger. I remember standing on streetcorner in Key West, next to a beautiful big house with bouganvilla growing all over the place, and wishing I was at home looking at my little forest, and walking my field with the dogs. I'd stay in the place that feels most like home if it were me. I want to die here, sleeping in my own bed in my own little old house surrounded by my trees.

11. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    This is why God invented the hired man or better yet the unmarraigeable bachelor cousin. Have Tina build a little hired mans house on the back lot and get some animals, Rockpile. You can then be a gentleman farmer, sit on the veranda with a julep and go down and pet the goats when the spirit moves you.

12. To add to my previous post #7

We actually have a cabin 77m northwest of our homestead in the mountains of Maine. Sometimes I bring my goats with me if we go to "camp" for more than 2 days. I milk in the kitchen and bottlefeed babies. At night they stay in the woodshed or if we leave to go fish, swim or pick berries. We can hunt on paper company land that surrounds us and we have made friends with folks up there and we are planning to go to camp for 2 months this summer. A neighbor with horses needs a little brush control and my girls can help with that and stay in the barn. Or in the woodshed or under the camp (its on post). I have 5 bred does and 2 doelings. We do have 5 acres of heavily wooded land at camp and will be putting up fence for my ladies. My neighbors here and there enjoy the goats as much as we do. We may even throw a pig and a veal calf into the mix.....but I LOVE tending my animals even when I'm sick. And my children love the att'n the goats give them. And the dog watches over us all. And the cat keeps mice and squirrels at bay. And they all get along.....and its good clean healthy fun!

13. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

I vote for getting animals too, as long as they're ones you can leave to fend for themselves a few days at a time. Chickens set up with feeders and waterers are good for several days if you have enough feeders etc. Beef cattle and horses on pasture can be left as long as they have plenty of water. Cats can be left too, if they eat dry food and have access to water and litter boxes. My indoor pet birds can be left for a couple of days since I use water bottles instead of dishes. I put in extra food dishes when I go. My outdoor dog can even be left as he has a metal feeder that holds 25 pounds of dog food and a big bucket for water. You might be able to get a neighbor come over to check on things once a day when you're gone to make sure the water situation is okay and everyone's alright. Offering some fresh eggs or chicken or something like that might sweeten the deal and then be willing to return the favor so the neighbor can get away once in a while too. Sitting out by the chicken coop, chatting with the girls is very theraputic for me. I love how they cock their heads and look at you with one eye, like they're really interested in what you're saying (I know they're wondering just what it is I'm yammering about but I prefer to think they're interested LOL)

DebF

14. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Compromise: Get broilers that will be ready for the freezer in 7 weeks. Get 2 pigglets that will be dinner in the fall. Kids (goats) get in the spring and they can join the rest in the fall. Ducklings and gooslings also. Have fun in the summer with the animals. Travel etc. and no winter chores in the cold months!...Joan

15. Ozarkguy

Ozarkguy Well-Known Member

Oh c'mon now Big Rockpile. You already know the answer to your question. :rolleyes:

1 acre, or 20 acres? Animals, or no animals? Neighbors will build beside that 1 acre, and you KNOW how shy you can be..... no more "outdoor plumbing" for you! Eeeeekkkkk!!!! :eek:

Now the critters.... of course you got to have em! What ELSE are ya gonna do? Watch the weeds grow? Just keep it small, so you can handle what you can, and it's not too much for the little lady when you're down for awhile. But even the doctor said to keep busy! And between chasin' the Mrs. and chasin the critters, you will surely keep yourself busy. :)

Wish you both the best of luck in whatever you decide. But I vote for "give me land, oh lots of land" anytime. 20 acres and a few critters!

gotta love those hills.....

Ozarkguy