Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are driving on a pretty big interstate and see, on the side of the road...Christmas presents, all prettily wrapped. Had they fallen off a car? I kicked it back and forth with my stepdaughter; technically, if we went back and took them, it would be stealing. On the other hand, no one would even know where to start looking if they lost them. Someone would get them in the end...I told her we could go back if they were still there in an hour or so and look at them (I was hoping maybe they had addresses or something on them). So we drove back, and they were still there...all prettily wrapped and sitting there. My stepdaughter jumped out of the car to gather them up...and sure enough, they were all empty. I was relieved as my conscience said to leave them there, but my curiousity said check them out! I told DSD that there was probably somebody with a camera videotaping how many people stopped. I honestly think I would have just gathered them together into a pile safely off the shoulder of the road and left them in the hopes the owner realized what had happened and would come back. I don't think in good conscience I could have taken them.

What Would You Do?

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
I would have picked them up, then put an ad in the paper, local news stations or what not for 'found presents'. I would really try and make sure they got back to their owners.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
Reminds me of one Xmas when I used huge cardboard boxes, wrapped, for decorations in the yard. Had a brick in them to keep them from blowing away. Someone STOLE THEM!
I don't know if this is true or an "urban legend" but many, many years ago I read about how people were faring in a city (maybe NYC?) when they weren't getting trash picked up. Someone had the brilliant idea of wrapping their garbage in boxes and leaving it in an unlocked car... and sure enough, the boxes got stolen.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
You know lots of people like to wrap gift cards in boxes....just a thought.
Trisha

·
Banned
2,113 Posts
I would have either gathered them up and placed an ad for "lost" gifts (and require some identification of them) or, possibly, another option would be to find the closest law enforcement person, possibly by cell phone or in person, and make them aware of the situation.

Or, possibly, gather them up and take them directly to the closest police station.

I certainly wouldn't have picked them up without having some kind of plan to try and return them to their rightful owner(s).

Janis

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
I would have gathered them up and taken them to the nearest police station.

In all good conscience, there's no way I could have taken them for myself.
Ditto

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's funny, I never would have thought of taking them to the police station. I was worrying that if I gathered them up and put them on the side of the road, someone else would have gotten them. You guys think quicker on the run then I do!!! I was so saddened to think someone had spent so much money on gifts to have lost them. When we opened the one box to see if there was anything in there, I got even madder to think someone just threw trash out the window. THAT ticks me off!!!

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
I hate to admit it; but one day a noticed a big box blow off a guys truck. He didn't stop. I stopped real quick and son put box in van. Son said box was empty. We caught up with the guy anyway and gave him his box back! I don't care for littering either.

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
I'm a road buzzard. I pick up pieces of scrap metal and wood, straps and the like off the side of the road all the time so I'd stop and get them.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Around here, some people wrap pretty packages and leave them on the side of the road, where a loved one died in a car accident, each Christmas. It's not unusual to see that at all.
If someone looses real presents around here, they'd probably never get stolen as most folks would just think that's what they were.

·
Banned
1,627 Posts
I don't know if this is true or an "urban legend" but many, many years ago I read about how people were faring in a city (maybe NYC?) when they weren't getting trash picked up. Someone had the brilliant idea of wrapping their garbage in boxes and leaving it in an unlocked car... and sure enough, the boxes got stolen.
that happened in NYC yrs ago, a lady used to wrap her garbage up every other day and put it on the back seat of her car, when she got off work the package was gone.

personally, i'd becareful about opening strange packages today, there are a lot of strange people running around and they may just put some strange explosives or chemicals in the package.

·
Can't stop thinkin'
1,267 Posts
Watcher, my boys and I call that stuff "roadside recyclables".

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Nothing and no one entices me to stop driving or pull over other than a county mountie. I've seriously considered getting me a big blowup man balloon to ride beside me when DH can't. I don't talk on my cellphone while driving, but I keep it beside me in case I need to give the appearance that I'm in contact with possible help if needed. Old women driving longer distances alone know what I'm saying. It's all just a part of being cautious.

So, would I have stopped to look at the pretty presents? Not likely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts