What would you do?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by celadon, Sep 18, 2006.

1. celadon

celadon Well-Known Member

As posted before Sandy , 5 month old nubian goat was very sick when I got her at a auction. We got her thru this with three vet visits. I had the vet out last Thursday because she has a rattle in her throat. Vet check her and said she had a rattleing in her right lung. Probably from the sickness from before. She really does not know what to do about this. Said people just do not call the vet for sick goats around here. I was thinking about giving her pen. shots. What would you do? Is there a certain kind of pen. that I need to use? Sandy weighs about 60 lbs. How much should I give her and for how many days? Ihad her poo check for any worms and none should up. Would I be doing more harm by giving her pen. shots?

Vet said to being her in and they would try to take x-rays. She has never done this on a goat before. I really do not have a way to get her to the vets. And do not want to pay someone to take her there in a horse trailer, I already have 400 in this goat. Thanks

2. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I recently used Penicillin G on a little wether with a rattle. It perked him up (I think) but didn't get rid of the rattle or the cough. Both symptoms are seemingly random.

Others have suggested Tylan 200 shots. That may be my next attempt.

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

You could try penicillin for 10 days . 1 shot ain't gonna do much. Give her some probios along with the antibiotics to help her gut stay healthy.

Patty

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

My vet told me that if you start antibiotics you must continue for a minimum of 5 days regardless of whether symptoms disappear after the first day or not and that you should continue injections for 1 day after they completely disappear (after 5 day minimum).

5. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

If you have a pickup and a big animal carrier you can take her in that unless she is way to big. If you do not have a VET that knows goats you need to find someone that know goats and can help you out in the time of need because they can die fast.. Also if you will check with the Department of Agriculture they may can help you also. Because a lot of VET's do not know anything about goats. I know many may think I do not know anything because still kind new to goats but I now have had goats for 2 years and learned quiet a lot and fast..

Good Luck on your goat and hope it gets well soon.. :)

6. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

I could be wrong. I had three goats come down with a rattle and the vet said to use Tylosen (sp). I thought it should be the Penn also but he said no use the Tylosen. I did for 7 days twice a day and everyone cleared up just fine. Good luck. It soulds like you have really had your hands full.

7. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

She may also always have the cough/rattling even if you dose her. If she's not showing any other symptoms, I don't think I would dose her at all. I have a doe that came with a cough and she's had it since. When I first got her I dosed and dosed...Didn't do any good. She'll always be that way.