What would you do with so many trees?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by marisal, Jun 1, 2005.

1. marisal

marisal Well-Known Member

Hi!

Haven't posted in awhile. family problems, and we just, well in Febuary, moved into our new house and are remodeling it.

We have 26 acres of pretty much all trees. I need at least 2 acres cleared for now, for gardens and animals.

I was thinking of letting anyone needing firewood to come in and take down what they want in the area. I had the county forester come out and tell me what trees I have, he said I have nice firewood. Not anything of value. I called a tree guy who gets firewood, and he said it's not worth his time to come in and take those trees. Only if he can take them all! But we like the woods, we just need one area cleared.

they both said we have enough wood on the ground to burn to last us 10 years, so we really dont need the ones we are taking down.

I really want this area cleared this year as soon as I can, but we are strapped for cash from the remodeling, it would cost us $1000 to have someone come in and take them all down.

They will take out the stumps for half that if we take down the trees.
    But we are doing the remodel ourselves, so my husband doesn't want to do it yet till the house is done.

What is the liability of having a regular person come in and take them down to keep?

Would it be bad to post on, say Freecycle for anyone wanting to cut their own firewood?

I just really want that section cleared, but want someone else to do it! :)

My husband refuses till the house is done.

Sooo....what would you do?

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

i would not just let any one on your land to cut trees . chainsaws in the wrong hands are deadly! try and find a semi retired logger ,my pa inlaw was such a person and would do that sort of a job on shares . guy being greedy i would not give the time of day too! check about need for permits and insurance(can vary even between countys). some small mills will prosess "fire wood "into planks ,ask around your neighbours ,feedmill ,churchs for recomendations there will be at least one guy (or several)

3. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

If you can cut the trees down yourself, and cut them into firewood, sell the firewood yourself. You'll get the best price if you cut them into stovelengths, split, and bundle them into enough for a single night's burning. Then load your truck up, find a nice corner in the fall, and sell it by the bundle -- in my area, a bundle of firewood goes for $2.50-$5.00 each, for about 4-5 pieces. Or a cord of firewood goes for about $150, though they generally short the cords so you're really paying for about 3/4ths of a cord.

Leva

4. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

I am absolutely positively convinced that under no circumstances should you allow any TOM, DICK & HARRY on your property to cut your trees down and harvest the firewood.

Your liability is unlimited and some lowlife could come onto your property, injure themself, and wind up OWNING your property.

You may wish to write up a contract "selling" your firewood. Even if its only for $1. The contract specifies that falling trees/harvesting wood/chain saw operation has the potential for injury and that the "buyer" assumes ALL risks. In addition, they have their own health insurance policy and will show it to you so that you can write down the policy #.

You need to cover your behind from a potential lawsuit when JOE NICEGUY claims a back injury while harvesting wood on your property......and you find out his name really isn't JOE NICEGUY......but in reality is JOE CRACKHEAD.....and he says he will settle his bad back claim out of court for only $5000!

I can't believe there isn't a responsible neighbor or someone living in close proximity to you that isn't looking for firewood.

HOWEVER. You must realize that even a responsible person is only going to take the firewood......and you'll still be left with a huge mess from tree tops and branches.

5. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

I'd keep the firewood and store it somewhere....can never have too much firewood if you have a stove. Think about it, something happens, you cannot get/buy/cut firewood for a while, what'll happen if you do not have enough?

Then again, I'd also build outbuildings with the logs, you know, log buildings...nice and cheap and looks rather good.

6. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

If you want to clear, then hire a CAT with a dozer blade: push them over, then the stumps come out. Have the CAT pile them. Then cut when you want, burn the rest.

Cutting down trees on even two acres is a long slow, messy process, and you still have the stumps to deal with.

Hire a CAT and operator -- best money you will spend -- if you can get him there. What are they in your area, about $75 to $100 per hour, plus the move?

A D-7 can do a lot of work in an hour.

Make your self happy and safe: hire a CAT-operator-company to do the job.

Good luck.

Alex