Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a really good 700# Berk Boar. He throws nice litters. He's friendly with people. He is the product of nearly 10 years of selective breeding. I'm keeping one of his offspring for breeding purposes. My sows are all on the same breeding cycle, so he could be inactive for 3-4 months. None of my uncut feeders have ever exhibited any boar taint but I don't think that I would be that lucky with a 3 1/2 year old boar who has been active. The problem is that he's just too expensive to keep feeding and he's getting a bit aggressive with the sows. If he doesn't get his fill he gets protective of the food. Your thoughts????

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
Take the above advice and do a bit of taste testing for less than $10.00. Then I would eat him. Have a whole freezer full of cheap pork. If he had mild taint I would have a whole freezer full of whole hog sausage. I have 2 boars now that one way or the other will be going in my freezer shortly.

·
Registered
841 Posts
if he dose have a bit of taint cut him and feed him out for a few months, from what i understand most taint in boars is a buildup of testosterone, so you need to give it time to work its way out before slaughtering

·
Premium Member
3,201 Posts
If you want to keep him for awhile longer i would put him in his own space and bring a sow to him when due. Other wise they make nice meat and very good sausage.

·
Registered
9,852 Posts
If he's a good boar you might first want to try selling him as breeder so someone else can have the advantage of the genetics. Otherwise I would take a small bite to taste test him as described in the link above. I suspect that he does not have taint based on what you've said if you're keeping him out on pasture.

May the odds ever be in your favor...

-Walter

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cut him???? OMG not sure how to anesthetize a 700# boar! I said he was a good boy, never said he was stupid! He won't go down easy. We could have uhmmmmm....... delicacies..... the size of 2 large grapefruits.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Walter

I checked out ebay, I buy lotsa stuff there. What size of biopsy punch do you use? They are selling sizes from 1mm to at least 6mm. I'd like to taste Big Boy while not pizzing him off.

·
Registered
255 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts