What would you do with 2000$?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Queen Bee, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I work for a lady that is very wealth and I always help her purchase her Christmas presents to her children and Grandchildren! Well, we whent shopping for a gift for her daughter.... We looked every where for a nice gift.. She finally decided on a necklace that cost $2000!

I came home and told DH that rich people don't know how to shop!

I am by no means poor but if my husband or anyone were to give me a 2000$ pc. of jewerly, I would sit down and cry! :waa: Jewerly is the last thing I would ever want...

I could buy a heck of alot of things for $2000. What could or would you purchase for $2000

2. MsTrish

MsTrish Member

I would probably spend it at Lowe's!

Trisha

3. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Oh my gosh, I SO know what you mean! I would NEVER buy myself or anyone else a peice of jewelry that costs two grand! I don't think I would buy jewelry period actually. There are more practical things to blow that money on.

I'd probably add a few more birds to my flock. Build a couple more pens. Do some work on my barn and buy another horse! haha Guess some folks would think that would be wasteful too though.

Good question to pose though.

:) ~Christina

4. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Wood fired outdoor hot tub...Joan

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Assuming I can get serious about restarting some farmstead 'production activities' a modest $2K investment I think I would by new beehive equipment for 2 hives, garden seeds and tune up the tiller, revamp greenhouse and seed starting materials, several dozen turkeys including a few heritage varieties, about 100 day old chicks in the spring, and anything left over to buy materials for fencing an area for pasture.

6. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd go and buy enough material to finish my greenhouse. Then I'd get the stuff for a new chicken run. Whats left over would go into the bank to pad out our depleted 'emergency fund'. Dream on!

7. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

If handed $2,000 I would pay property taxes with it. Then with the tax money I would buy some new Dockers, a nice pair of boots, some lumber to build a storage chest, and four $200 tires for my truck. Well tires or a different differential that would accept less costly tires. Maybe a front axle too so that different tires and rims could be used. Any money left over would go to add more propane to my heating fuel tank.

8. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Limp Bisket LOL

I'd pay off the one stupid personal loan I have, and buy another broodmare.

Stacy in NY

9. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd spend mine at Lowe's too...get the stuff to build my potting shed/chicken coop and materials to set up my raised bed enclosed garden (enclosed by a chicken run to keep out deer and help cut down on the bug population).

10. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd fill the pickup with gas, and if there was any left, I'd buy a bag of tater chips, and a dozen cinnamin rolls.
    Really I wouldn't do anything with it. I don't want anything. I'm too tight to just blow it.

11. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I'd give part of it to Blount County Sav-A-Life (that helps girls and women in crisis pregnancies) THEN I'd pay for the materials to extend the goat shed; build the buck a shed in the fenced area he will be moving to when older; and then put the rest on fencing the big pasture behind the animals' current fenced areas....

I told my husband what I wanted for Christmas was a new commode for the main bathroom!!!!! The other one is so beyond hope it's impossible to clean with anything.....One year I got chicken wire for Valentines! and I loved it!!!

But last year on our 25th wedding anniversary he surprised me with little one-fourt carat diamond earrings for my pierced ears! All the jewelry I wear are those earrings; a silver chain around my neck (bought at the flea market about 10 years ago): and my plain silver wedding band....I'm not really a jewelry person but I have to say the surprise of getting those earrings was really special! But I think they cost WAY WAY WAY below $200....no where near like $2000!!!!

12. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I'd pay off the Lowe's bill I ran up building the house. If I had no debt, I would build a greenhouse around the hot tub.

13. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I would put up a greenhouse.

14. Queen Bee

Now, this is how you are suppose spend money! :haha: I guess because I am not a jewerly person--It's real hard for me to see it!

A few of my favorite gifts have been: the 12 Muscadine vines I got for my Anniversary. One Mother's Day I got--10 apple trees, one Easter I got 4 peach, two fig and blackberries vines. I got a post driver for Christmas -- and I have gotten need tools. Beehives and bees for my birthday,

Isn't country life fun?

15. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

$2000 would pay quite a bit toward my land purchase :)

16. Jenco

Jenco Well-Known Member

I would pay off the rest of my credit card debt. If I had no debt, I'd stick it in my "Future Downpayment on Land" savings account. :D

17. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

I'd put up more fencing and buy another dog. :D (Which I need like a hole in the head, so I suppose I'd just do the fencing, pay off bills, and put a LITTLE in the bank for that next show dog... :D

18. GrannieD

GrannieD Well-Known Member

I just might buy another dog or 2, but likely finish the dog house...any left would go for food supply- mine & theirs. NO jewels..except the eyes of my laughing dogs! GrannieD

19. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

This is probably why we are not rich-----we don't see the reasoning.

A man gets a paycheck in Palestine or Iraq or Iran or Saudi or India. He takes his wife to the marketplace and after negotiating, buys a gold bracelet. Why? Because the currency in his country is not stable--------(like the dollar that has declined since the election by 30%). The gold is safe on his wife's arm rather than in some bank. Because the base of the bracelet is gold which will always be currency. The gold bracelet is portable wealth. In 1980, a lot of people increased their standard of living selling grandma's real silverware for $50 oz.

If I had $2000 right now, I would buy gold and silver. If I lived up north, I would seriously consider the greenhouse because of the short growing seasons there, and one has to eat. Here in the south, a greenhouse is not worth much as we can grow food all year round except summer when the temps are too high.

We all need to start thinking in terms of assets that will appreciate and not assets that will depreciate. Our homes and land can depreciate BTW. If you have a mortgage, you do not own your home. You have a lease to own because the day you can't make the payment is the day the mortgage co starts evicting you. If you own a home outright, you don't care what the value is, it is still yours and no one can take it.

In this country, we just don't think like the rich or the people in other countries. We could learn something from them.

20. Queen Bee

Mudwomen-- 15yrs. ago a pc. of jewerly was purchased by my father for my mother- he paid 15,000$ --It was appraised at 16,000$ by two different gemologists (two towns far apart) (I have that pc of paper) (no typing error). After the death of my parents, I had it appraised at a local jewerly store--- He said if he was appraising it for insurance he would appraise it for 15,000$ , if he were to purchase from me, he would buy it for 1000$. It is white gold and has two very large, white diamonds on It! Went to another jeweler and got the same response.. So, now it sits in my safety deposit box, along with all the other very expensive jewelry, I have no use for... not a very good investment.. :no: