Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
millerized
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perusing the "back home" classifieds this AM, and came across a few lots in PA (why I called it "Back Home" since it's close to where I grew up). There's one that's +13ac, 50% wooded, 50% clear in what looks like mowed field.

Looks to be a gentle slope on the clear part. Topo shows the same slope as you see in the photo's, at about 1800'asl. Satellite photo (pretty good quality and recent as 2006!) Roadfront is about 600', meaning the depth should be about 1000' if my calculations are correct (public school math, tho).

Question: could you "live" on the acreage, and what would you do with it??

I'll be checking it in the next few weeks, looking at soil, location, grade, water availablility. The "freedom" of the area is nice, taxes low(er), and unless things have really changed, a sociable area.

My thoughts: If it's arable, it's almost my perfect small scale homestead. A bit larger would be nice, but it would be adequate for 2 people. The family farm (about 20mi south) grows very well (peppers do amazing!) and has never had anything other than natural fertilizer (poo) used. (read as completely organic soil = $$$ for produce).

I'm just rambling right now, getting my bearings as to the if/and/or scenarios, and just vocalizing to a group that has probably done this a time or two :)

Hmmm......gonna be an interesting few weeks while I think about this.

·
Registered
10,221 Posts
We do quite a lot with our 11 acres + 2 rented pasture.

Jersey milk cow
steer for beef
freezer hogs
meat poultry (chickens, geese, turkeys, guineas, ducks)
egg poultry (same)
honey bees
draft horse team for horse power
hay field
vegetable gardens
berry gardens
herb gardens
grape vines
fruit trees (apple, cherry, peach, pear, plum)

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Suburbanite, tt's a rule of economics that land always rises to its highest economic use, and if it is located well, it's highest use is to be covered with houses.

millerized, 13 acres will provide enough for a sideline farming operation and also for enough produce to see you through the year, if you can or freeze it. You might be able to actually produce all your foodstuffs there, if you are OK with eating rabbit, chicken (maybe some turkey) and goat for your animal proteins. You can pasture-raise all three if you make a moveable coop for the birds. I would not rely on the land for your money, though. High-risk move. I say all this after 17 years of experience on our place (which was originally 13 acres and is now 25). You'll need some off-farm work or on-farm industry like crafts, etc., to bring in money.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
millerized- Where in Pa did you grow up? I'm always looking in my hometown area too even though I don't live too far from there I still like looking to see what is available. I think 13 acres is perfect....not to big not to small. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
We live on ten right now, but are looking for another small piece for pasture.

13 would work.....

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Our place was originally 13 3/4. Just shy of what TN requires for a place to be under the "green belt" ag preservation law, and get a third off the property taxes. Need 15 to do that. So when the adjoining 11 1/4 came up, I jumped on it.

You might want to check if your state has such a law, and what is required.

·
millerized
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally from a little place called Cherry Tree, but this is about 20mi up 219. They actually have several lots for sale, but the 50-50 split is almost perfect for what I'd like. Enough trees to live, burn and see, with enough cleared to plant something, grow something or raise something.

A few years ago, I did a summer "project" on the family farm (inactive for the last 30+ years). I planted peppers (red, green, yellow) and pretty much just fenced them off and checked them every other weekend. Holy [email protected]! The ones that the grocery store had looked like 2 week old leftovers (which, of course they are) but left me knowing that if the weather held up, SOMETHING would grow. Seeing the prices of peppers in the stores gave me an idea. Eventually, something would/will grow up there.

I'm going to see what happens, if nothing, then it wasn't to happen just yet. If it does, I'll be more than happy to leave the daily "run-to-DC-rat-race" and visit the parents on a weekly basis. Just have to convince the wife that poo on your shoes ain't all that bad.

Thanks for the comments, suggestions and concerns.

Might be a long road, but the traveling will be fun even if the destination ain't what you want.

·
Banned
5,950 Posts
For those interested in the "Clean & Green" program..

You need 10 acres or more in PA, it will lower you taxes by about half, but not quite. There are restrictions(which for us are easy to follow), one of the restrictions is if you sell any portion for development within 7 years of listing the property on "Clean and Green" you will have to pay the full taxes of those years. There are others, but you will have to check locally for info on them.

·
bluebird2o2
1,203 Posts
my sister looked into property in South strabane washington county(farms all around)the property was less than 10 acres(7 )and you need 10 in that township too keep a horse.even though the previous owners had horses you cant ,township rules.bluebird

·
garden guy
3,516 Posts
MullersLaneFarm said:
We do quite a lot with our 11 acres + 2 rented pasture.

Jersey milk cow
steer for beef
freezer hogs
meat poultry (chickens, geese, turkeys, guineas, ducks)
egg poultry (same)
honey bees
draft horse team for horse power
hay field
vegetable gardens
berry gardens
herb gardens
grape vines
fruit trees (apple, cherry, peach, pear, plum)
DITTO that except I am doing it on 2 acres and the road right of way for extra grass also have to buy hay no horses but have 4 cows and a goat.

·
garden guy
3,516 Posts
Jim S. said:
Suburbanite, tt's a rule of economics that land always rises to its highest economic use, and if it is located well, it's highest use is to be covered with houses.

millerized, 13 acres will provide enough for a sideline farming operation and also for enough produce to see you through the year, if you can or freeze it. You might be able to actually produce all your foodstuffs there, if you are OK with eating rabbit, chicken (maybe some turkey) and goat for your animal proteins. You can pasture-raise all three if you make a moveable coop for the birds. I would not rely on the land for your money, though. High-risk move. I say all this after 17 years of experience on our place (which was originally 13 acres and is now 25). You'll need some off-farm work or on-farm industry like crafts, etc., to bring in money.
I dissagree You can make a living on an acre or two if you have good access to a farmers market and you are frugal and most importantly you own your home free and clear, I am doing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts