What would you do today?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

ARGH! My doe has finally gone into very early labor and I am supposed to go out of town today until late tonight. My conscience is killing me because I want to go, but I also want and need to be available for her birth. What I am looking for is opinions on if you think she'll have babies today.

I have a meeting that is 2 1/2 hours away tonight, and when I went out to feed everyone, I noticed that Oleanna is in early labor. Her ligaments are gone, they were there yesterday, and she has a very slight yellowy discharge. She isn't eating like she normally does and is doing alot of hiding. My wether, who is usually her best friend, is acting odd around her and butting her away. This is her first.

I can't separate her completely from the rest of the herd - no space, but she will have her own "house" to give birth in. I really want to be here for the birth and since she is on the bottom of the ladder, the other does are quite mean to her. Should I go to my meeting, which is fairly important, but missable or should I stay? I know this is a silly question, I will probably stay anyway, but I wanted to ask because I my experience and education tells me that she isn't going to have the baby until late tonight or tomorrow am, but I just can't bring myself to say that I won't go to my meeting.

Any opinions or advice would be helpful while I wait this out and make my decision.

(of course I'll post pictures if I am able to get any, when she has the baby!)

Corrie Ann

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

There are a couple things I would personally consider:
    If she is a first timer, I would stay.
    The fact that she is bottom rung, I would stay.
    Sounds to me that you believe you should stay...I would stay.

It's better to be safe than sorry. Plus if she does give birth and you miss it, I bet you'll wish you could've been there....STAY!!!

Since your meeting is missable... you should stay.

I've missed one first timer birth but dh was here to accomodate the doe of which she graciously gave birth to an 8 1/2 pounder with no problem but if he wouldn't have been here , I would have stayed.

Separate her now. You said you have a house for her to give birth in, why don't you put her there now? (if you haven't already)

I've noticed that even bottom rung animals become important when they give birth and while they have their young by thier sides. I'm sure not always the case but most of the time.

wish you well whatever you choose!
    ;)

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if you don't want to risk to loose the kids i definitely would separate her from the rest of the herd. if there is no space i would bring her in my basement or garage or in the shed. i would find something for her if the meeting is this important. or stay.
    susanne

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Your delima is why I control breedings here. My does kid from early March until the first few days of April. During that time I don't have a life off the farm. Everyone knows to see me they have to come here. I don't go to the store, the movies, out to eat or anything unless I have checked on those who are pending delivery. Folks who have kids coming by airplane from me, know if I get up in the morning and someone is dialated than they get postponed and I reschedule their flight. My kids are my cash crop which I need to pay for things like showing, fitting, appraising (this year more cement and a barn addon) and things that make my next kid crop go up in price :)

Now if an emergency came up and I had to go to this meeting no matter what, I would bed the bed of my truck deeply with shavings and hay on top, put her into my show cage I haul goats to shows in, and take her with me. I would bring my baby monitor that runs of batteries and listen to her and also go check on her at breaks. Everyone who knows me would expect this behavior out of me :) If she went into labor I would deliver her in the parking lot and go home, if she didn't deliver I would have a good meeting, and laugh at the fun poked at me!

With the majority of my first fresheners having triplets at 12 months, I would not think of letting them deliver by themselves. If I worked and could not be at kiddings, I would not breed my Nubians to kid that young, a 2 year old can eaisly have triplets by herself.

Likely nothing will happen, most folks come into the barn to find baby goats all licked off and nursed, missing the kidding anyway. Unless you physically go in and feel for the dialted cervic, it's hard to tell early labor from a doe who is 1 week away, they can loose their mucous plug weeks before they go into labor, same with their ligiments. They can also udder up weeks before or an hour before.

And the biggy, when is her due date? This spring was a doozy for does who had kidded on day 150 for 3 years than went to day 156 or kidded on day 145 with healthy kids. It was truly the most bizarre kidding season I have ever had. But usually Nubians kid on their due dates here. Our LaManchas kidded around day 145. Vicki

5. Croenan

Well, I got my answer from her...even though I thought I wouldn't go. She has had a few episodes already where she laid down to have a contraction! We shouldn't be far off! I feel so bad because it is so hot and muggy out there, especially in the house I have her in.

Does anyone know if i can feed her ice chips or would that screw up her digestive system like it can for babies? (too cold) I have some apple slices in the fridge right now and she is still eating them from my hand. I am hoping that that will make her feel a little cooler.

Funny thing is that the daddy, who is now wethered, got into the house with her and was very sweetly laboring with her. (this is the one that is her best friend) It was so cute! She was having contractions while laying her head on him. She seemed to not mind him but I have since fenced him out so with any luck, I won't have a problem with him...either way...it was really cute!

I'll keep ya posted!

6. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

7. Croenan

Well, she did it! The twins are finally here, a girl and a boy. Ginger and Kuzko...pygmy/kiko mixes...and they are beautiful!

Oleanna's (mom) labor was the quietest labor I have ever heard! She made one peep when she was pushing out the first one. I think I was making more noise than she was cause this one really looked like it hurt!!! I almost thought I would have to do an episiotomy! (but I didn't know if you did that in goats!)

Kuzko is holding his own right now and has finally nursed a couple of times so he's resting, but I worry about him. Ginger is fiesty. Both are smaller than I thought they would be, but I guess it's because they are twins. Our first doeling was hefty. I wonder if I should check on them later tonight and get them to eat again...they aren't eating as much as our first doeling.

Funny thing is that momma was in her goat house all day laboring and then really acted like she wanted out of the "barn". So my hubby and I talked it out and let her out. I was nervous about that one, but it turned out to be good, even with a little bad weather. She almost immediately relaxed and started to get serious about labor. Everyone in the pen, including the chickens kept away, so it was nice to be able to watch her from a distance. She is very attached to me and my hubby so I really don't think she minded us watching.

I have pictures for those of you who want to see them. There is a subfolder with the "au natuaral" pictures if you wanna look at those too.
    http://www.seraphworks.com/gallery/...bumName=album06

We are sooo proud...now if you'll excuse me...I need a shower bad!

(copied from earlier post)

8. Croenan

9. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

I am so glad that you stayed AND THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE PHOTOS! I am expecting my first goat babies ANY MINUTE and the photos of the labor and deliveries really seemed to help ease my mind! Well, I'm on my way back out to the barn again!!!!!! Everybody pray for me and pray for my goat....she's a first time mama and I'm a first time goat mama!

10. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

great pictures, and don't worry , everyone will do fine.