What would you do if you found CL?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Mouse, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Hi,

I'm jumping the gun here a bit, but I want to be prepared. We took our favorite ewe Zoey to the vet on Tuesday for a huge lump on the back of her rear leg. The vet took a sample out of it that was yellowish green and foamy. He really believes it is CL (caseous lymphadenitis) but we're hoping it's not since we read that article in Sheep! magazine about Cruels, that not all abcesses are CL. We should hear the results today or early next week.

So have you experienced CL in your flock? What did you do? What would you do if you ever found it?

Thank you,
    Mouse

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Culling the ewe and any nursed offspring is the only remedy. "yellowish green and foamy" does not describe CL abcesses though, bright white, solid or cheese-y is the description I've heard more often. If you have ever vacinated with Glanvac you will get a (potentially) false positive.

3. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Oh I hope it is not CL, that would be devastating. We would have to cull her ewe lamb too???? Oh no, she's my favorite. Serves me right to pick favorites. No results at the vet yet.

Uh,, by culling, you mean killing, right? I take it she would not be good for eating with an infection in her, right?

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I know abcesses are trimmed but they wouldn't automatically condem a carcass. CL is a bacterial infection, it is untreatable because if surrounds it's self with a hardish puss that is difficult for the imune system to totally eradicate or tetracycline to kill. It is suseptable to tetracycline. CL as the name implies is mostly in the Lymphadic system not the meat. I've never heard of CL condeming a carcass, and in a lamb there wouldn't be any obvious sign of infection, as it takes years to become noticable. Your vet may be bracing you for the worst, it really doesn't sound like a CL abcess.

5. Mouse

Mouse Well-Known Member

Wonderful news!!! It's not CL!!!! Just E coli, I know which is bad enough but at least it doesn't require culling of the sheep and her lamb. We're so happy and relieved. She's now on daily shots of Naxcel for the next 6 days.