What would you do first?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by pcdreams, Jul 18, 2005.

1. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Well we are going to VT in 3 weeks to see (hopefully we can find it) the land we bought.

I'm curious to get ideas of what others would do first thing. It's 10.2 acres and curently all wooded.

I'm taking along some tools to do some work but I want to see If I'm thinking right to get started.

I already know the building regulations etc so...

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

#1--Clear a driveway to your building site.

3. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

draw a plot plan of where you want the house.
    try to locate any water and/or water problems like run off and/or springs
    locate a driveway off the road to the house without taking the nicer trees
    If you have water, bring a shovel and pail and dig a 2 foot hole and check for perk.
    Walk the property and check out what trees you have
    See if you can find the survey markers and note them
    Check out the neighbors while you are there, like barking dogs, etc
    make sure you get a local newspaper to take home with ya

Have a picnic :)

4. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I agree, clear a driveway or wide vehicle path to where you want to build. Then work on finding/getting water to that place!

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

My tactic would be to identify the best places for your cabin/house... water availability, electrical (I am assuming you will be on the grid), make sure of cost's etc. THEN what Cabin Fever said.

6. boxwoods

You can also bring some stakes and mark out a potential house and driveway
    mark the trees you probably will have to remove with ribbon
    check with a neighbor on potential well depth and how the water is in the area
    find out what the set backs are for your buildings (feet that a building has to be back from property line in front, rear, and sides.)
    Find out about crime in that area also beings you will be there and talking to a neighbor.

7. pcdreams

sounds like I'm thinking in the right direction.

1. find the place :)

2. walk property to find corners and estimate where house goes

3. decide where driveway will go based on above location

4. start cutting for drive way (Sooner the better so we can get the truck
    off the road and get camp setup).

theres no surface water but will check for errosion from runoff. From what I can tell on the topo it is fairly flat topography.

we will be off grid. I've already talked with a well driller. water in the area runs 250-350 ft. Will have to haul it for now though. Will be a few years before we move and have the $$.

We're planning to walk around and try to meet some neighboors, check out town (not sure if they have a local paper) Newport is the largest town in the area(15 miles or so I think)

We'll be there near a month. I'm hoping to get our piers put in (have to dig 5 ft down and have 8 to do).

8. boxwoods

wow!
    Well if you are going to be off grid, I wouldn't put in a 300 foot well. Might be better to put in a big old tank and fill it every so often. 300 foot well around here is like 10,000 plus now.

9. pcdreams

They quoted me $4500-7500 depending on how far they have to case. $9/FT for the drilling.

I do plan to put in a holding tank though. Static levels tend to be between 20-40 feet so a solar pump or small 110 should handle that ok.

10. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

It looks like you have a good plan, this link might help you find it and become more familiar with your parcel, the general area, the neighbors' lines and topography.

Grab your deed, and go to this site, then search by longitude and latitude, or address.

The search results page will list all topo maps, aerial photographs, and street maps for that area, along with the date they were each made.
    After choosing one (I always click right and open the map/photo in a new window, so I still have all of the results listed) you can zoom in and out to check out the "lay of the land." - and see old logging roads which don't show up anywhere else.

The resolution of the aerial photo (taken in 1996) of my rural property in Missouri is good enough to clearly see our old semi trailer/storage shed in the woods. I can also see the old creek beds as our spring-fed creek has changed its course over the years - that was a surprise!

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/
    copy and paste into your address bar

11. pcdreams

I love terrasever. Darn near driving me nuts finding this one though. LOL. luckily I have a good map of the area (with distance tween intersections) Shouldn't be too difficult. Has a stone wall on the northwest corner.

I've got pictures but no where to host them..

12. froggirl

froggirl Feelin' Froggy

1.find corner and side markers
    2.do perk if not done yet
    3.punch in driveway

Have fun!
    --f.g.

13. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

find out how far away from utilities you are building the house. It may quadruple the hookup if you are beyond X feet from the nearest elect/water/telephone/cable hookup. Find out now. A difference of a few feet might mean many $$$ to you.

14. pcdreams

We plan to be solar and don't want phone/cable/etc :viking:

15. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

welcome to Vermont land ownership. It is a beautiful area around newport. Enjoy the visit, be prepared for mosquitos and follow the guidelines listed above. It is stifling hot and humid right now but come August you will appreciate an extra sweater in the evening so be prepared for that.

16. pcdreams

thanks for the warm welcome VTFarmer

We been vacationing there for a few years so kinda have a feel for skeeters and chilly evenings (though I perfer cold to heat anyway).

Our last night camping last vacation was sept 4th. Got a tid bit nipply :nono: I mean tad bit nippy :p

the best part of the deal is we should have everything setup and paid off before we move!!

17. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Now THAT is the way to do it. We are looking at doing something similar in Vermont still just with more land. Good luck with the process... and keep your sense of humor.

18. pcdreams

I hear you on the more land bit we wanted more but alas $$ is the limiting factor (isn't it always).

The good news is the land surrounding is currently uninhabited and undeveloped so its just a matter of time till someone sells out ;)

It use to be a part of a farm and was select cut 15 or so years ago. Mostly small birch and ferns now. If I can find a way to host the pics I'll post em.

Vermont is a beatiful state, which I'm sure why land is so high. We got lucky (I think tell you after we visit) and picked this up for $11k