What would you do? Ebay ?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by gottahaveagoat, Dec 5, 2006.

1. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

I purchased a book that said brand new...When I got it, it had a yellow stain and about 10 pages were warped. It looked like maybe food or something had fell on it. The envelope that it was sent in looked fine, I don't think it got wet in the mail. Well I sent the seller a message and asked if maybe a used one (book) got messed up with a new one, Maybe sent me the wrong one.
    I got a nasty email back that said "I just want to get this over with because it is not worth the time discussing because I only have dining outs that are brand new..." (dinding outs, was the name of the book). They had a 100% (36) feedback. My question is do I just let it drop, leave neg feedback, try to get my $12.00 back? They have already left me positive feedback. How would you handle this situation, I can read the book but I do not think it was a new book. I probably would not have bid as high a price if it was used.

2. giraffe_baby

giraffe_baby Well-Known Member Supporter

I would leave a neutral feedback, and then put in the comments, pages warped and yellowed

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I think that you can put in a formal complaint to eBay that the product was "substantially not as described" in the auction. They will hear your side of the story and their side of the story and decide if a refund is in order. Same with PayPal (if you used PayPal as payment).

You have to decide if it is worth the bother or not.

Personally, since you asked, I would not complain and would leave neutral feedback saying that the product was not as described.

Donsgal

4. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

We Ebay users have an obligation to make the system work with honesty and reliable information. $12 may be unimportant money to you but stopping an upstart Seller that thinks they can rip a Buyer off with a damaged used item when a new item was promised is important. I suggest you require a refund of all your costs and nip this Sellers dishonest inclinations in the bud. You may be saving some poor future Buyer a big loss and that might be me or your favorite Auntie. Good luck....Glen

5. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

I received a book once that wasn't in the shape as promised and left negative feedback.(it was supposed to be new and it was torn and wrinkled) The seller told me not to pay and was mad that I still felt they were wrong. Hey, they got me once and hopefully the next person would think twice about how they sell. Be honest and tell it like it is.

6. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

Not knowing whether the seller knew the book was damaged when it was mailed, then this is a very good option.

7. gottahaveagoat

The seller keeps saying they were new when she mailed it. It was mailed in bubble wrap and an envelope looks clean so I have to believe they knew it was soiled when the mailed it. I really would not have cared so much if the would have said there was a stain & warping, I would not have bid as much for used and worn but honesty is the best policy.
    I know when I list I probably over describe but I want to be honest. I have never had a problem with EBAY til now and have been a member since 03. I work to keep my 100% feedback and wish others would too. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I emailed and asked for a refund and I would just ship it back to them but have not heard back yet. Thought maybe this would be best for both of us because I don't like fighting over something like this. If they do this I probably won't even leave a feedback, maybe neutral if I do.

8. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

From the email, it sounds as if they have more than one copy. Email them and ask if they can exchange it for another copy.

9. KCM

KCM Well-Known Member

Since the seller has already said all their copies of that book are brand new, maybe you could just request a replacement. That way you'd still have the book you bid on and they'd have the opportunity to make amends without losing the sale.

10. pistolsmom

pistolsmom Well-Known Member

We sell on Ebay for a living....and incidentally what we sell are books. If you bid on a book described as new then you should expect to receive a book that is new....pure and simple...no questions asked.....no excuses. Give the seller a chance to make it right[ everyone makes mistakes] ....if you paid by Paypal file with Paypal.....if the seller makes it right then fine..if not you leave a neg...there is NO neutral here pure and simple. If more people did business the way we do Ebay would be a much better place!! New is NEW ...simple as that.

11. gottahaveagoat

I did ask for a new one...said she sold all the others had 5 and they are all gone. Trust me I'm trying to be very patient with this person but there is a breaking point. I've been doing this since Nov26th. 10 days is plenty of time to work "something" out

12. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you have to rate the seller so others can judge them before they buy too. a sellers neg on you is not like a getting one from a buyer, so long as you are not ignorant ot nasty... let the seller be as nasty as they want to it proves your point.
    post a NEG, worded like "Book was listed as NEW, received a stained used one, seller refused to listen"

they will neg you, of course. you get to reply. "I politely asked if it was a mix up, seller was hostile, refused refund or replacement"

dont fignt or name call, just be dry and factual. let the seller flip out in his replies, that tells a buyer or a seller that you are cool headed, your seller was a hostile crook.

you can make a neg work for everyone and not really effect your status. most people see negs and surf back to both sides responses to see what it was about. Calm and factual is good, hostile and name calling is BAD. let the seller hang themselves....

then report them for fraud if they listed it as NEW.

13. Acts2:38girl

Acts2:38girl Well-Known Member

We sell and buy on e-bay as well. Once I bought a Paralegal book and it wasn't the right edition - I emailed seller asking if they had the right one, my mistake, and could I buy the right edition#. They gave me my money back and said to keep the book. It was under $10. and they said customer satisfaction was more important than anything! I would leave neutral feedback and comment on how seller said item was shipped new, but it was recived stained, etc. Maybe in the future she will make sure she ships things properly. Good luck!

14. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

If she can't exchange the book with you for a new one, then I would leave neutral feedback and explain that the book was not as described. (It's not like you didn't try to work things out prior to leaving the feed back). :)

15. mtn_gin

mtn_gin Active Member

I would be careful about leaving negative feedback. No matter that it maybe true because if you are trying to keep 100% feedback, you will probably get a negative back from that seller. I bought an item off of ebay and when I recieved it it was not as described, tried to work something out but could not get anything accomplished so when I left neg. feedback so did they even though I had paid just as I was supposed to. All I am saying is be prepared for that.

16. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I'd give the seller a chance to refund your money, if they don't make it good, then I would leave negative feedback. Why let them sell damaged goods and claim them to be new? A neutral will get buried in the pages and not noticed, but a neg will warn other buyers.

I've had some bad deals with sellers that have 100% feedback. Maybe I was the first person they ripped off, but maybe the others were afraid to leave a neg. feedback cause they didn't want to get a revenge neg. Since they already left FB for you, that is not a problem. Be honest in the feedback you leave.

17. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

If you brag about your 100% positive feedback, and then don't give AT LEAST a neutral for receiving an item that was NOT as described because the seller might neg you...well, that means your 100% rating is just as good as THEIR 100% rating...which apparently they only have because people were "afraid" to state the truth.

Mon

18. gottahaveagoat

I really agree with you...I just have never had a problem before and just want to get it resolved the quick and easy way. I just wish she would contact me again, refund my money and I will send the stupid book back. As a business owner I believe in cusomter service and try to be fair to people.

Actually they already left my positive feedback I paid them within a couple of minutes of winning the auction. I always pay right away & have been trying to work out a solution so they really don't have any negative thing they can say unless they want to lie. I think I will wait until the end of the day to see if they get back to me then leave neg if nothing is resolved today.

19. gottahaveagoat

Funny how I sent the lady another email and told her if she did not decide to either refund some money or send me another book I would be posting a neg feedback tonight. The lady decided to refund all my money and told me to keep the book too. I really did not expect both just wanted her to do something, like work with me with out getting mad would have been nice. I will probably just send it back, I feel guilty having book & all the money. I just want this transaction over!

20. belladulcinea

belladulcinea Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to do this. I bought an old camera which according to the description was in new condition in the box with no damage. I also paid their shipping and handling which was 15.00, I thought that was outragous but I wanted the camera for a gift. There is a major crack in the flash shield and for 15.00 which 7.95 was for shipping it, there would have been some bubble wrap around it. It was in it's box, which was in a much bigger box rattling around no less, there were a couple pieces of cardboard in the box and bubble wrap, one sheet, on the top! It wasn't secure at all in the box. When I ship a book off half.com it is bubble wrapped and put securely in a box or padded envelope. I will be leaving negative feedback. He's also one of those positively no refunds or returns, which is fine as long as he doesn't whine over his feedback.

Edited to add, there were several pictures and there was no indication of a crack in the shield.