Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am needing an exact term for a certain form of mental illness. I will try to describe it for you..
He just sits. And has just been sitting for three years now. He escapes into fantasy; whether it be books or tv or his own head. No motivation for anything..food, bathing, fresh air, consuming liquids.. nothing.
He is on Prozac and seems fairly upbeat-ish.. just not interested in the real world. He says he doesn't feel depressed. he is quite happy.. I am going NUTSO! It chaps my rear that he just sits in his room behind a closed door day after day and month after month and is quite happy to do so.
We lost power for 6 hours one day and he chose to sit and stare at the wall instead of heading outside or even picking up a book.
I am going to get counseling for him.. I jst don't know what you would call this behavior.
I have googled escapism, depression, avoidance. Alone and mixed together. I cannot find anything that really deals with this level of problem. He sat so still and was so lost in his head it almost killed him. He didn't really eat for almost 2 years, ya'll.
What would you call it?

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I don't know what it's called. I agree that you need to get him to a doctor. Tell the doctor the symptoms he has.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good Evening Chickenista, :)

I am sorry that your son has withdrawn himself, and my heart goes out to you. Children withdraw from reality for many reasons. ie,.. Death of a friend or loved one. A tragic event. Change of environment. Life altering events such as divorce or separation. Abuse, Fear etc.,.

Depression is evaluated on many levels. He doesn`t need to appear unhappy, or cry all day, to suffer from depression. You had stated that he is on Prozac, so without mentioning a psychologist, I am assuming this was prescribed by his primary care physician? If so, talk to them and tell them of your concerns.

I don`t really think anyone here is qualified to offer a psychoanalysis on your child, and give a diagnosis. Especially without personally seeing and evaluating the child. Only a qualified doctor would know for sure. I would seek out a psychologist, and then go from there. I hope he will recover and start enjoying his life.
You are both in my prayers.

Have a good evening.

Hugs,
Linda :)

·
Happiness is Homemade
3,511 Posts
ok... you have a Pm...
and you may wanna Google "dissociative disorder" but that would be his axis 2.
Major clinical depression w/ a side of psychosis will likely be his axis 1.

ask his Dr using these terms. and see what he thinks.

EDITED To add....
before someone has a cow because I (or my mother) are trying to diagnose via the internet. ;)
I know how difficult is can often be when you don't feel you "speak the language" that Dr's do.

Of course what I/she said is just the first thing that she would think if she were presented with a new Pt with these symptoms.

I hope you can find a qualified psychiatrist who will treat him.
It often takes some time to get the right balance of medications and treatments worked out. But once you get the right one... You just may have a Father again!

Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Good Evening Chickenista, :)

I just posted and had seen that you had now stated this is your father. All info I had suggested would hold true for your dad as well. Again, there are many things that could be triggering this behavior. He may also be in the beginning stages of Dementia, or Alzheimers. He may have suffered a mini Stroke or Aneurism. Has he been tested? These are just a thought. I am not qualified to diagnose him. Good luck.

Hugs,
Linda :)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Aside from ruling out typical elder concerns such as dementia or alzheimers I would be reluctant to consider other options.

It can honestly still JUST be depression, severe depression but depression none the less.

There are no magic pills for mental illness. It is a guessing game at best just ask a good psych doctor who has REAL experience. Not all psychs are prepared for the more complex issues of deep depression. It isn't the average bored housewife with post partum blues or a defiant teen type issue.

Many people have to try several medications, dosages or even a combination of a couple pills before they get the right one. It may not erase all symptoms either. Some people with more severe depression may just get a sense of the "edge off" and nothing more. To make it more complex there are often seasonal cycles and changing needs. many people have to get readjusted from time to time to stay on top of things. Winter is great for that!!

You have to understand that some meds for depression often are meds for other issues that happen to have a side effect of helping depression. The pharmaceutical options are not as perfect as many would hope.

Lastly, physical activity according to abilities, social outings and a general participation in life although hard at first do make a huge difference.

edited to add: keep a diary of behaviors and advocate for him with his doctor. He may be too depressed to care or know what is going on.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
Have his medical condition checked first. Go from there.

Just a thought, since you didn't say, but have you asked him why? Has he stated any reason for why he's the way he is?

Could his behavior be a side effect of Prozac?

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The story is too long to go into now, but there was a whole series posted here on his last summer.
He is in good physical health, just a mental wreck. Nothing in particular, no traumatic events, just the way he is and probably has been most of his life, starting in childhood.
I was not raised by him, so.. no effect on my life other than driving me nuts now.
I am going to try to find a good geriatric (though he is NOT really old) psychiatrist or similar in the area. He seemed surprised when I told him he was crazy. He is just so happy to sit and stare....

·
Premium Member
11,250 Posts
Many years ago, I worked as a psych aide in a state hospital. I strongly agree with the idea that he needs to see a psychiatrist who can adjust meds. A counselor can't do much when a person is already on prozac, unless they can interface with the prescribing physician and understands what meds can do.

There is no way to evaluate someone over the internet and each situation is different. All I can say is that I regularly saw patients that fit a similar description that were on an excessive dosage of thorazine or mellaril. In some cases, they were on high doses because of psychoses, but others benefited greatly by changing or adjusting meds.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
NOT a diagnosis by any means, but schizophrenia comes to mind as a possibility. Definitely a psychiatrist is urgently needed. Don't delay. You've already waited three whole years! I'd have been getting him checked after less than a month.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I DIDN'T know about it three years ago.
It has only come to light after having him in the house since October.. and I am not looking for a diagnosis.. I was just wondering how I could phrase it when I talked to the DR. It is not a question of if I will find him help... it is a matter of description to the DR when I do...
and, as I have said, he has probably been this way forever, more or less, I just didn't have to deal with it and he had a wife that forced him to deal with the basics of existence.. it is not the Prozac. That is a new component in his life..but I will let the DRs sort it all out.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
I can't offer any more advice then has already been offerred. Except, sometimes medications have the exact opposite affect on some people than what it is supposed to be doing. For instance, I cannot take Tylenol pm or Benedryl because it winds me up instead of the desired affect of getting sleepy. Sometimes if you read the drug info, you will find some eye-opening info. It could be that the Prozac is having the opposite affect on him, casting him deeper into depression instead of helping him out. Depression has so many faces, a person doesn't necessarily need to be "sad" to be depressed. Or could it be the med is too strong for him, and he is "high" (sorry for any implications, can't think of a better word) from the pills? People on too high a dose of anti-depressants and so forth are quite happy to sit in one spot, they are medicated to a point of contentment.

I so hope you can get to the bottom of this, others have stated possibly alzheimer's and so forth and these could also be a strong possibility. Agreed, find a geriatric doctor (I mean one who TREATS geriatrics, not an old doctor, of course!) and present the case to him.

I am touched that you are so concerned for him and hope you can find some answers quickly.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
I can't offer any more advice then has already been offerred. Except, sometimes medications have the exact opposite affect on some people than what it is supposed to be doing. For instance, I cannot take Tylenol pm or Benedryl because it winds me up instead of the desired affect of getting sleepy. Sometimes if you read the drug info, you will find some eye-opening info. It could be that the Prozac is having the opposite affect on him, casting him deeper into depression instead of helping him out. Depression has so many faces, a person doesn't necessarily need to be "sad" to be depressed. Or could it be the med is too strong for him, and he is "high" (sorry for any implications, can't think of a better word) from the pills? People on too high a dose of anti-depressants and so forth are quite happy to sit in one spot, they are medicated to a point of contentment.

I so hope you can get to the bottom of this, others have stated possibly alzheimer's and so forth and these could also be a strong possibility. Agreed, find a geriatric doctor (I mean one who TREATS geriatrics, not an old doctor, of course!) and present the case to him.

I am touched that you are so concerned for him and hope you can find some answers quickly.
My immediate thought was similar to this.

Last winter I was prescribed anti-depressants (not prozac but something similar). Although it did ease the actual depression, it also had another effect. It sort of numbed everything - stopped me reacting to and feeling all sorts of things and made me sort of detached from what was going on around me? It is difficult to describe the exact feelings that went with that, but it "could" be that your dad is getting something similar from his Prozac?

Hope you find an answer quickly - sounds like he isn't really "living" right now

hoggie

1 - 20 of 20 Posts