Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For most of us there is typically at least one major factor that would prevent us from leaving our existing location and moving elsewhere for the sake of a relationship. A few that come to mind quickly are - children, job, other extended family, etc. What is it that would hold you back from leaving your place to move elsewhere?
For me it would be moving the kids from the only place they have ever known as "home". Plus during the contruction process of building my house, my brother (who was my general contractor) passed away in a non-related accident. Needless to say the house has very special meaning to me!
So what would it be for the rest of you?

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Let's see.....my dog is portable. I'm ready to move :D

If I had close ties to family it would make it more difficult. I'm not terribly attached to things so that isn't an issue. In June, July and August I'm usually wishing I was anywhere but here.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Family is all here. Two brothers and a sister are within easy walking distance, and the sister who lives far, far away is a fifteen minute drive if the school buses aren't in the way. The boys are close by too, and that's even a good thing some days. I have maybe 40 first cousins within an hours drive, and cousins in our family are closer than some brothers and sisters in others. Both my parents were very close to their brothers/sisters, and they kept up with and interested in the lives of their nephews and nieces. Gotta' couple of grandkids somewhere too, but I often misplace them. Had lunch with my only granddaughter today, but I cannot for the life of me get her to eat anything other than chicken fingers and fries. She does like Dr. Pepper though, so there is that.

So for me, it is family.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
My biggest issue is books (non-fiction) and equipment including tractors and implements. I will be moving out of this area in the future. I plan to do a road trip and look at other areas not only in WV but also out of state.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I've only got a granny, uncle, great aunt, and parents as far as family that's left. My parents live next door and they make me nuts lol! Getting away wouldn't be bad at all.
My kids are weird. They actually talk about moving like it would be a great adventure.
My job can be done anywhere that there's a hospital or nursing home in driving distance, and I have loads of experience, so that's no biggie.
I could easily rent my house for more than the monthly payment on it.
In short, not a lot lol.
It would have to be better than my current situation though. I have quite a bit of land, but it's mountainous and tree covered, so not very useful.
I guess it'd make me sad to leave land my family lived on since 1840, but I'd still own it, and that's what visits are for.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Everything I am is what keeps me at my stead. No wish
To have any reason to move from it. My work, my settling
here, and my play as we'll right here at zen stead.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I love money. I have the best job I have ever had right now and when I turn 45 they will keep sending my check to me for the rest of my life. I will stick it out.

Also, I would never take my kiddo away from her grandparents or mom. She turns 18 a year before I turn 45 so I guess that will be move it or lose it time.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Nothing keeps me from moving. I'd love to move to the country somewhere…I want to be able to see stars at night!!!!
The stars at night surely are a fine site. Even the Northern
Lights shine bright here at the nearly lightless stead away
from city lights .
Only one consideration to all this. When the night sky is at
It's best here it's either air swarmed with mosquitoes in
summer or freeze yer gizzard at. 30 below in winter !

Reactions: handymama

·
Premium Member
4,990 Posts
I think there's a bit of gypsy running through my veins. I've moved more times than I care to remember and would have no problem moving again(and still might yet!:hair).

So, really about the only thing that would keep me from moving for a relationship would be the possible location that I might move to. I know I could never be happy along a coast or somewhere that seems to be perpetually hot. Keep me around the mountains and I'm good! :happy2:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I roamed a LOT when I was younger. I found myself in a place that I love, and appreciate even more as time goes on. I also have a handbuilt cabin I built myself, a little land, some good friends and neighbors, and I'm close to an absolutely vast wild area of stunning beauty. The skies are dark, the milky way is out all the time, the northern lights show once in a while, shooting stars are regular occurrences, I hear coyotes outside regularly, wolves rarely, see buffalo out my kitchen window when they are on their winter range, and am 5-45 minutes from mountain goats, bighorn sheep, grizzlies, black bears, moose, elk, deer, antelope, wolves, coyotes, and some stuff I'm probably forgetting.

I find it difficult to imagine living in a house I didnt build myself, and that had flat walls.

I'd say I'd consider moving for the right person and situation, but find the idea unlikely, if that makes sense.

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Considering the place you've got Mal, I don't blame you. That's what they call God's country, out there.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts