What would I end up with?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by RedneckWoman, Mar 5, 2005.

1. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what the end result would be if I breed a Yorkshire to a Poland China? or a Hampshire to a Poland China?
    I know it will result in piglets lol but does anyone know what they would look like?
    I can't seem to find a Yorkshire boar and we don't wanna talk about what happened to the Hampshire boar :no: so I had THOUGHT about breeding them to my Poland China but not sure about it. I like to keep the breeds clean but I am out of places to find mature boars and know a whole lot of nothing about AI.
    Any thoughts?

2. BDB

BDB BDB

hey red the AI is easy i just did a yorkshire gilt a couple weeks ago if your pigs are easy to be around not to mean or jumpy and you can detect there heat give it a try International Boar Semen is where i got all the suplies from they where real helpful to they send you a video on how to AI i just hope it takes on my gilt this was my first time tryin it so I will see what hapens i dont think they have any poland china boars good luck

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

A Polish Pig with an English Accent :)

4. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

:haha: :haha:

BDB, thanks for that info. I checked out their website and after I do a little more reading about it I might give it try. None of my pigs are mean or anything it is just that humans aren't their favorite creatures. They prefer to totally avoid people and will run if they aren't in a stall so I am not sure they would stand still. It would be kind of nice not to have to keep a boar though.

5. rwood

rwood Well-Known Member

How much does it cost? AI I mean.

Whats the cost per sow?

Ta
    Raphael

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

cost runs depending on the boar, between 35 and 65 avg for the semen, the supplies and container charge for it will be about the same, but after you return the container , then they return that portion of the fee, so , its about 50.00, which is a heck of a lot cheaper in most cases than feeding a boar and housing him , for only two rolls in the hay from him a year, i think if you have 2-3 sows then it balances out , but if you only have one, heck i would AI her

7. BDB

BDB BDB

i only paid $10 a dose for unspecified yorkshire semen there was no deposit on anything the doses came in a tube that looked like a toothpaste tube you just cut the end off and stick it in the catheter after your done just throw em away the shiping cost more than anything i think it was like $60 but still cheaper than keepin a boar my gilt runs in a big pen to but when there in standing heat they usualy stand still long enough to ai um i did not have any probems at all just keep a little presure on there back and they just stand there let us know how you make out goodluck