Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
106 pairs and counting
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you tried to breed a saanen doe to a nigerian dwarf buck? Is it even possible? If such a mating produced a pregnancy, would the neonate even able to nurse? Or would you have a bottle baby on your hands? (assuming baby is small and mother is too tall or teats too large....)....

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would imagine the baby would be smaller than normal, but I doubt it would be too small to nurse, kinda like breeding a Thoroughbred mare to a Welsh Pony stallion, LOL.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
42,341 Posts
This is how folks are making the mini-Alpines, mini-Manchas, etc.

You'd be producing mini-Saanens.

The buck may need a box to stand on.

We are trying this now with our does. We had borrowed a Nubian buck earlier in the season, but he had a rather disappointing success rate. So...... We are now using a Nigerian Dwarf as the 'clean up' buck.

We've only been milking a couple of years, so we are learning by mistakes and trials. We're hoping this works. :)

·
Banned
2,113 Posts
I had an accidental breeding between my pygmy buck and my Nubian doe. And between my pygmy buck and my Toggenburg doe.

"Bucky" needed no help.

I bottle fed all my babies so I can't really address whether there would be any problems with the babies reaching mama. I tend to doubt it.

I also had an accidental breeding between my Saanen buck and a pygmy doe. She had four adorable white babies. ("Muffin" got into the buck pen and back out without my even realizing she'd been in there....until it became obvious she'd been bred.)

The pygmy/dairy cross babies were in high demand for pets and I had no trouble selling them.

I love Saanens.

Janis

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
I have a mini-Saanen in my barn. She was one of twins and neither one had any problem nursing as kids. They just didn't have to kneel down as much as a full-size kid.

If I remember correctly, the buck did need something to stand on. ;)

·
In memoriam
79,016 Posts
I know someone who had a female Chow that had a litter fathered by a Chihuahua, so ANYTHING is possible

(The pups were red, fuzzy, shortlegged, but very cute)

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Yep - mini-Saanen.

No problems with nursing. Nice teat size and lots of milk on the kids. Gal about 40 miles from us is getting into the mini-Saanens. She wants my smallest does and then breeds to a very nice Nigerian buck.

I don't think most folks want the pygmy/dairy cross as the pygmy is technically a meat goat,

·
Registered
805 Posts
Mini-Saanens are called "Sammies" by Patty @ St. Indian Camp in GA. She's on Homedairygoats on yahoogroups if you want to talk to her.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts