What would eat my poody cat?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Dec 18, 2004.

1. Something got a holt of our momma cat and ate its innards out. A neighbor of mine called and asked me if we were missing our cat, she said she found one next to here house and said something must of killed it and ate on it. She doesn't have dogs or any other animals. I checked it out and sure nough looked like something had caught it and chewed on its head and ate its stomach and part of its hindquarters off.

Looked like the hunter got hunted itself. She was always bringing up mice, birds, and big field rats. Also bunnies, and once she brought up a young squirrel. One of the best huntin cats I had ever seen. I got a kitten from here that is almost full grown and it is already bringing its dinner home too.

2. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

coyotes like to eat cats.

3. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I'd guess a coyote. I've always thought that the stray house cats that are tossed out near my place are a big factor in increasing the coyote population.

The house and feral cats decimate the local quail and songbird population and then provide food for the coyotes which also decimate the quail. No wonder I have trouble with keeping a quail population let alone expanding it.

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Most likely a coyote. Another possibility is a bobcat.

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

I vote for coyotes too.

6. Triathlete

Triathlete New Member

Coyotes are getting fat on domestic & farm animals here in New Mexico.

7. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I would go along with the others and say coyote or fox, but you say it was eaten right there at the homesite. It's been my experience that these predators take the animal back into the woods for consumption.

8. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Owls eat cats.

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Feral or stray dogs will kill cats and eat them. Many of them aren't afraid of people and won't drag their prey off to the bushes.
    Owls will take cats, but normally strike tne back first.

Sorry about the cat. I would really hate to lose one of my feline friends like that.

10. I kind of ruled out coyotes myself cause I too figured they would run off with the whole cat. Stray dogs is what I think done it or maybe a bobcat. But then I have wondered if it just didn' get runned over in the road and stray dogs or maybe possums just found it and started eating on it.

11. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

My guess is it was road kill and some small animal was eating on it.
    A coyotte or bob cat would have carried it back into the woods before eating it.