What would be your next step?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by a1cowmilker, Nov 27, 2006.

1. a1cowmilker

a1cowmilker Well-Known Member

I will make a long story short.
    We have decided to look at other land to move to.(a long story in itself)
    On Thanksgiving day, with the permission of the land owner and the realitor my husband and three male relatives went to look at this land to buy.
    The owner told my husband that there was a chain link fence across the road with two t-bars, he told him to just wiggle them out a little and let them lie on the ground, he would fix them later.
    My husband did just that, and the boys hiked all over the property. Than the fun began.
    As they were leaving a man (about 60 years old) said that he was the care taker for an adjacent piece of property and that this was his private road. He threatened to kill my husband and would bury the body where nobody could find it. Then he threatened to get his gun and kill all of them.
    The man could not be reasoned with. He was NUTS.
    My husband was so mad he could hardly contain himself.
    On Friday dh called the owner and realitor and they said they would have a chat with this nut case. Today ds left a note for the sherriff to please call him, the sheriff has been out of town for the holidays.

This property would be great to live on IF we didn't have to worry about this nut case. Would you pursue it or let it lie? ( which would make the nut case guy very happy, he wouldn't have to worry about new owners that way.)

I appreciate your advice, one friend of ours said we should have the guy locked up, that would be a bit rough, we just want to look at the property without being threatened.

2. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

First you either need to talk to this man, find out if he is just keeping people that has no buisness there run off or is a problem.
    We have had so much trouble with people over the years we probaly seem to be about as nutty as the man your husband met.
    I have the hunting rights to the farm south and west of my place, keep people without written permits off. This is with the blessing of the owners as they do not live in the area.
    Talk to him if he is just nutty, run do not consider buying especially if you get the law involved. These people make great friends and neighbors or depending on how you handle it your worst night mare come true.

3. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

Yeah, I would check with the owner to see if this is an act to keep trespassers away, is he confirms I would ask him to introduce me to the man, if all this goes well, then I would resume negotiations, if he really is a nut, then I would call the law and drop the property, living next to a nutcase can be hell...

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Get on his good side, and he might just be the ideal neighbor. Or the worst.

5. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

He has either got to be a buddy or commited before you buy the place.

LOL could he be why the place is for sale?

6. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

The man threatened lives. I would stay away from it. Do you really need the headaches? If you let your family go back there, make sure they are armed.
    I would let this rabid dog alone.

7. dagwood

dagwood Well-Known Member

Time is on your side. The old fool will die off sooner than later. Make sure your local law enforcement is made aware of the threats and if needed file charges against the old coot for threatnening. A few trips to the hoosegow should calm the old guy down quite a bit..... :p

Last resort.....if he comes on your property with a gun be prepared to shoot back. :hobbyhors

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Run, do not walk, from this property.

Having dealt with goofy people and property disputes and all sort of interesting things, just say, "No, thanks" and keep looking.

The nut case may die off, but 60 is not old (Dagwood, you must be under 30 if you think it is!), and it seems to me that ornery folks just last forever. Besides that, now you have to wonder how many people are buried on that property, considering that the Nut Case may have already done unto others what he has threatened to do unto you.

My gut feeling is to stay away. Just don't go there.

Pony!

9. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

Fortunately, this isn't the only property for sale in the world. With a certifiable nut as a neighbor, only a moron nearly as kooky as this person would consider buying the property.

Life is short. Complications such as these are best left at arms length.

10. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

sheesh... to me the number one question is "Is this your ideal piece of property". If it is, some old neighbor wouldn't keep me from it. If it isn't, he's just another "con" on the "pro-con" list.

11. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

Ok what are the positives of this place?

12. a1cowmilker

All good advice,
    The positives of this place is location. It's closer to dh's work, and my daughter's in laws property is next to it. He told us about the property, we are very good friends with them. Our hope was to have my daughter and her family build on the property with us.
    The price is very good, but we thought it was because of the poor access and we'd have to run water to it. (all stuff we'd look into if we got serious).

I asked my dh about it last night and he said his gut feeling was the man was just tired of city folk hassleing him on the property. But lets face it, he went way over board when he threatened to kill my husband and bury the body. there is way too much thought in that if you ask me.

We are waiting on the realitior to get back with us, dh refuses to look at it again unless the realitor goes with him. The owner is in poor health and is in no position to go any where.

Thank you all so much, I have learned a lot, and I will keep you posted.

13. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

14. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

If he had just been grumpy and unpleasant, I would say feel it out a little more before deciding to buy or not....BUT, he wasn't just grumpy, he threatened to KILL YOU! What a wacko. I would never knowingly move in next to someone, no matter how many acres divided us, that I knew up front was such a nut job.

15. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Supporter

Walk away from it. You don't need this nut nearby.

16. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

Wonder if the nut case wants it at a low price & is doing his routine to discourage others from buying?

17. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

OMGoodness! I was thinking the same thing! I bet that's it...

RedTartan

18. edcopp

edcopp Well-Known Member

This is a golden opportunity if you can see it.

You say the owner and the Realtor took you there, if this is the case then they know that this nut case is going to keep them from selling the property. SO, just take the asking price and divide by 4. In other words if they are asking $100,000 your very best offer just became $25,000 take it or leave it. If they hem-haw around very long drop your offer to $24,000.

If this nut is attempting to keep them from selling, then you just became their only hope. Play that game. It may just be very profitable.

Now about the nutty neighbor. He makes a pretty good case for concealed carry. If the wrong person had been in your shoes the nutcase would be a hasbeen. End of story.

Some people when threatened tend to take it seriously. A prudent shopper would have leveled a .357 MAG. right between this jokers eyes and said, you just threatened my life in front of witnesses, if I ever see you again I will presume that you have come to kill me. Get out of my sight before I start to defend myself. It is very likely that he would have gotten very humble.

19. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Oh Heck! I LIKE neighbors like that! They save me the trouble of having to threaten trespassers! Take him a batch of warm cookies once in a while and he will protect you and yours as well as he does his own. He's already proved that he is good about keeping trespassers away.

20. a1cowmilker

Wow you all brought up points that I never considered. He doesn't own an inch of the property, he is just a caretaker, maybe he does hope to buy it cheap. And, no, we would only pay a fair price for the property, we wouldn't try to force a cheap sale, but if we had to put up with this wacko there wouldn't be a price cheap enough for us to buy it.
    Update on the sheriff. He and my dh spoke and he is going to run a background check on him to see if there is anything on him. He will not press charges unless we ask him to do so and we do not want to do that at this point in time. Best thing is, the sheriff now knows that there has been a death threat in front of witnesses. Good for the wacco that my daughter's father in law was not with them, he would most definately leveled his revolver of choice at him, he looks like a very gentle man, but I have seen the tough side of him and it ain't pretty.
    I will keep you posted, but as of last night, Dh has really cooled to buying this land. We value peace way too much.