What Wormer????

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cowgirlracer, Jun 16, 2006.

1. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Ok. I have a confession to make - I have owned goats for 5 years and have never wormed. They have always looked good, appeared bright eyed, happy and healthy. However, my sweet Winona is looking rather skinny - can see her ribs. I have two different cattle wormers - Ivermax pour on and Safe-Guard pellets. Is it safe to give either one of these to my goats? Thanks for any advice you have to share.

Anne
    Cowgirlracer
    :hobbyhors

2. Delinda

Delinda Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah it's probably time to worm them :) I have used the safe guard pellets for cattle but I don't really like the results. If you have more than one goat eating out of the same feeder it is hard to tell who is eating the wormer and who is not, also my goats would pick around it and not eat it at all. I use the Cydectin and Ivomac cattle dewormer on my goats given orally, with great results. I have never tried the Ivermax.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Anne, I bumped up an old post where I posted the doses of Cydectin, Valbazen and ivermectin. It is the post that says "opinions on dewormers " by "6e". Go to the post and see where i tell the doses i use. You should probably worm your goats every 21 days at least 2-3 times to break the life cycle of the worms and then worm as needed after that. :)