What worm that is found under human skin?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by freedomfrom4, Apr 18, 2010.

1. freedomfrom4

freedomfrom4 Well-Known Member

My 10 year old came to me hysterical cause she pulled a worm out of her skin. She has a oushy half inch tract where she said she she removed it from. Described as small white worm. She was panicked and killed it. I can't find any info about what this could be online. We have numerous animals and yes she has been known to run outside without shoes on. She is healthy chuncky active kid. :hrm:

2. sewserious

sewserious Well-Known Member

3. mountainlaurel

mountainlaurel On my way home Supporter

We call them worbels. They come from the bot fly. Around here, they are generally found on animals. My dh removed several from the neighbors bunnies.
    We have also removed them from a cat.

But, when my son in law was a boy, he lived in Belize and he had one in his head. His brother had one on his leg. I don't know of anyone who has had one in my area. But I remember there was one article in the newspaper not too long ago about someone having one but I'm not sure if they just hadn't returned from a tropical country.

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be warbles. Those are the larvae of the bot fly; I've seen them, and wouldn't describe them as small. They also make pretty good-sized lumps under the skin before they hatch out. (I've only seen them on cattle, but I imagine it would be possible for humans to get them, too. Although, livestock generally ingest the bot-fly eggs by licking at their legs, where the flies have laid them.)

I do think that I'd be getting the daughter to a Dr. ASAP, though. If there was one worm, there may be more, and, while I hate to scare you, I've heard some horror stories about worms migrating to the eyes and brain, among other body parts.

Kathleen

5. Common Tator

Common Tator Uber Tuber

I remember as a kid at school, one of my friends telling me that she had worms living in her nose. She squeezed it and pimples came out. They did look a little like worms, but definitely weren't. I couldn't convince her they weren't worms.

6. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with BJF. I don't think it is a Bot Fly Larvae. I have pulled multipule larvae from cats. They don't come out easily, and the wound has an infected smell and look. Not to mention that they are not little. They have hooks on one end and do not want to come out, I think it would be painfull too. I second the thought of going to the doctor.
    God bless you and yours
    Deb

7. naturelover

naturelover Well-Known Member

You will need to take her to the doctor for blood tests immediately now. Where there are worms in the skin, there are eggs in the blood circulating through the body.

8. D Lynn

D Lynn Well-Known Member

Ya, I'm with her!

Ew!

9. PrettyPaisley

PrettyPaisley Well-Known Member

10. freedomfrom4

She is freaked out. I planned on taking her to the doc tomorrow about it. I had just never seen or heard of such a thing.

11. mamaof3peas

mamaof3peas Well-Known Member

Take her now! I had a cousin almost die from this, it was in his lung, and they found. More in brain, but if they hadn't caught in time, he wouldn't have made it! I'm serious, I'm a nurse, wake her up and take her to er!!!!

12. naturelover

naturelover Well-Known Member

FF4 - you never said what part of the body she found the worm. Was it in her leg or arm?

13. freedomfrom4

On her hand. She has a 2 inch open wound on the palm from a fall with a horse, and the worm came out on the top side near her first knuckle.

14. Joshie

Joshie Well-Known Member Supporter

Could it have been a maggot? Flies will lay eggs in necrotic tissue. I'd make sure that you tell her than anytime she has anything unusual happening in or to her body that she must tell you ASAP.

I'm also a nurse and I agree that this is nothing to mess with. You have no idea what it is and if it's systemic or not. You certainly don't want anything migrating anywhere else.

How large was the worm? Color? Is there a tract from which this worm came?

By the way, you're making my head itch. :)

15. kyweaver

kyweaver Well-Known Member

i will second the ewwwwwww

16. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Let us know how she's doing, okay?

Poor kid. I'd have freaked and smooshed it with a rock, and then smooshed it some more.

Ugh.

17. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe scabies. She should see the doc as soon as possible.

18. ACountryMomma

ACountryMomma Well-Known Member

Scabies are a type of mite, they are very tiny and cause a lot of itching. I don't think they could be it & I agree that the cuterebra (warble, bot larvae) would be very obvious & they are terribly difficult to get out - they create a large lump with a hole for their breathing apparatus... saw more than a few as a vet assistant. I don't think it would be one of those.

Definitely take her to the doctor.

19. hippygirl

hippygirl Well-Known Member

Holy cow! I can completely understand her freaking out!

I agree with the others...get her to a doc.

20. jer

jer Well-Known Member

I would not take the time to post on here but get her to the ER as soon as possible!! It could be lifethreatening! I will send you money if you need it to pay for the ER. Please let us know what you find out and prayers sent for you.