Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you die? Bigger animals I don't worry so much about (even tho I have 2 horses) but your dogs--and cats? Friends daughter had her little dog euthanize, and buried with her, but somehow, that does not seem fair to them.
Are any of you close enough to your animals--and of a age to have this worry you?

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
That's a good question. As far as the dogs and cats...other family members would handle that. Cows would be sold at auction I'm sure....but the goats I need to make plans for. I imagine they would live their lives out here if I didn't make plans for them, as SO won't rehome a goldfish. I'd rather have them go to another goat lover though, so they could be bred and give milk on a regular schedule. And of course, have their hooves trimmed frequently.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It doesn't seem fair but honestly we considered it with my grandfather's dog. He loved her so much but they never really tried to housebreak her and relied on potty pads when/if those worked. He was fine with cleaning up accidents every day. When the time came and we "inherited" her, it was awful. She was already 8 years old and completely oblivious to potty training. We tried for months but we were so busy with our work schedules that we ended up asking around and going against my grandpa's wishes, we gave her to my uncle who knew how she was and was retired so he had the time to behavior train her. We didn't have time for a puppy, much less an 8 year old dog set in her ways.

I regret it every day because I promised my grandpa that I would take care of her for him so he could rest and I feel like he's bothered that I didn't keep my wish. She's very loved in her new home and seems happy but it's a nagging feeling.

So I suggest that if you have pets with behavior problems, please let it be known to those that will or more than likely will take them for you if you pass. It may be a good idea to realistically plan that part of your final wishes as well, and find out who would want to take them in. Please make sure the folks you are leaving them to are a good lifestyle match and have the means/time to care for them.

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts

I regret it every day because I promised my grandpa that I would take care of her for him so he could rest and I feel like he's bothered that I didn't keep my wish. She's very loved in her new home and seems happy but it's a nagging feeling...
Seems to me you DID honor your grandfather's wishes...his girl is in a loving home, and I'm sure that is JUST what he wanted!

Mon

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
Coomassie and Jiki would probably have to be put down. Coomassie is old and Jiki could never be taken off the farm. Sparta, however, is young and friendly and would be perfectly fine to rehome. I would not rehome the others. I have expressed to my family, in the past, that they are not to let DH's family take my animals but to give them to a rescue. I wouldn't give a spider to DH's family. They can barely take care of themselves.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I worry about it a lot. I have not adopted a dog in part because of that.
But I have a guilt thing going on about one of my two remaining horses. Chances are that I will live to bury the older one but not the younger one. And since I got sick and she never got the under saddle training that she needed, she will just be another useless pasture ornament.
I did give a letter to a younger friend that if I die the horses belong to her, with the understanding she will do her best for them, whatever that means.

The goats are meat goats but very friendly. I hope someone would like a pet weed eater but a goat's life is always uncertain.

But, although I would love another goat or two, this is a consideration there too.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
When we had our big dogs and our Bella, we actually had money set aside in our wills for them to be cared for. Bob can't be rehomed at all, unless our vet comes up with someone Bob would be put down, I think that kinder for him. I have a cat lover friend who would take Blue cat.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
The only pets we have are two cats. They are now 8 years old and when they die that will be it for pets. I'm figuring we can outlive them but we'll be too old to start again with another pet. I don't know what would happen if we both passed before them. They are indoor only cats and live a very quiet life for the most part since we are not very social folks. I have one son who would probably take them but it wouldn't be ideal as he has a business and works long hours. Other sons have allergies in their households. Something to think about for sure.

·
Premium Member
3,681 Posts
That's not the part I worry about. My livestock could be sold. The dogs and cats would be with family...but yes, I have a few very old, incontinent, sick dogs who would be better off put to sleep.

What I worry about is this...What about those of us who live alone, way far out. On or off grid. And don't have much contact with the rest of the world? Now, you die in your sleep say, or die in a car wreck and aren't found right away and no one knows you're gone for how long? My dairy goats who are in milk would surely suffer. No one there to milk them. No one to give the animals water. What would become of them until someone notices that you're not around? Now that does worry me. Being put to sleep isn't so bad, suffering for days on end is horrible!

·
Dallas
13,852 Posts
We're struggling with that now, we really want another dog but with an average lifespan of 12-14 years it would take us into our 70's and I would worry about it outliving us.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I have it written into my will that my dogs will come with a pretty good stipend for my sister to care for them. I probably should update that now that we are older, but they will go to someone who will love them and not be burdened by the money to give them good care.

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
We have two cats who are both over ten years old. When they go, we will not be getting any replacements. If a stray wanders in, I will feed it, but not bring it inside. They come and go where I live, mostly tomcats.

My horses are all closing in on the 20 year mark, so don't know how long they will live. They seem to be pretty good, not as big as they use to be, but okay otherwise. When they die, I will not replace them either. If something happened to both, my husband and I, the horses would probably be put down. They aren't the most rideable girls. We have no family members I'd trust to keep them. Or that would be able to afford them.

When our dog died in 2013, we chose not to get another due to how bad we both felt over her loss. She lived to be 15 and was my only dog really, and I just can't go through losing someone I love so much again.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
It is definitely something to think about. Many rescues I see had outlived their elderly owners. They usually get adopted out right away though, as they tend to be mellow lap dogs.

I selfishly can't bear the thought of someone else having 'my' dog. It breaks my heart. :(

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
As was my mother wishes, we put her dog down when she died and buried him with her. BUT, it was a close toss up as to who was going to go first. HoBo was very old by that point and we did not feel bad putting him down.

My worry is that we have 2 parrots. They will out live us no matter our age. So yes we have plans in place for the. Our dogs will not out live us at this point. CAnd once gone, we will not replace them.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
I've thought about that. I can't even trust DH to take care of our animals that well.
I've told my daughter to sell the horse, give the two farm dogs to our younger neighbor, if he wants them, and she'd take the two chihuahuas herself. Our cat would have to be put down. She's an old outdoor cat and at 16, there's no way she could go to another home. She doesn't wander far from the house anymore, she's on Senior food and getting hard of hearing.
As long as they end up with good homes, I'm fine with someone else having them.

A few months back DH's parent's elderly poodle passed away. I'm hoping they don't get another one - unless they make arrangements in case something happens to them. I don't want another inside dog and DH's Sister lives in Hawaii, so that's not an option for a home.
His parents are both in their mid-seventies and you are right, that is something people need to consider as they get older.

Younger folks have active lives and some prefer not to have animals because of that. It's always best to make those kind of plans in order to find a good home for your animals.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
We're in our 60's and most of our cats are over 15 yrs. old. We will not be getting any more animals. If something happens to me before my husband I have said get a vet to come to the house to euthanize everyone because it would be less stressful on them. Whatever the price, it would be worth it. My husband with his mobility issues would not be able to take care of them.

I need to talk to our vet now to see if this is something they would be receptive to.

I have two sets of friends that have aging ill animals left to them from other friends with no money designated for vets or upkeep. Both sets of friends had vet bills on these dogs in the first month of over $500.00. While family members looked on and did not offer a penny. Lack of fore planning on the animals owners or maybe a manipulative disgraceful action? One pup has passed on but got the best care she could have gotten in her last years and the other pup, a little male Pom is spoiled rotten. He also is getting the best care and love in his life. He is carried around in a front pack like a baby on my friends chest and "viciously" growls at anyone putting their hand near my friend, him and his 2 teeth. She had to have most of his teeth extracted within a couple of weeks after getting him because of abcesses. He is a protective guy even if he is only 4 1/2 lbs.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Just think hard before you ask someone to take on your pets when you die. Maybe have that money set up and make it enough. I had to take my moms 2 dogs both 13 years old blind and not house broken any longer. It is a real problem for me just keeping up with the pee is a huge problem. Buying the only food they will eat is proving to be very expensive. And I have her 2 cats, so spaying is top on the list and finding $ for that. Fulfilling last wishes is way harder than it seems.

·
Premium Member
7,035 Posts
When my old dogs died a couple years ago, I was not going to get another dog. Didn't want to worry about taking care of it as I got older (VERY late 60's now) or it having to go to a new home if I couldn't take care of it, or if I died.

Life was pretty darn empty and bleak.

So, I ended up getting a puppy. Life REALLY improved! LOL! Added bonuses, friends with the same breed are often calling to ask if we can get togther somewhere and do something with our dogs, and, I am diabetic and he lets me know if my blood sugar gets too low. (I sometimes get busy and don't notice)

My dog has a dog-mother (God mother) who will see to his needs IF he needs...she will take him or find him a good home. I know that my daughter would not be happy with him, or any other relatives....this is a busy breed. What I want is in writing and WELL known.

My job is just to make sure he has manners at home and in public and is healthy and well trained. Loving him is easy!

Mon

·
Registered
887 Posts
our horse will be gone by then since they are 26 and 27 the dogs will go to each one of the kids,,,the cat will as go to one of my daughters as well,, the sheep can be rehomed,,,i am already looking for homes for the sheep

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
Ya know, folks, those of you who say you don't want another pet because you're so old are cutting off your own noses. My mom is 92, lives with me, and has a cat who rides around on her walker. Mom pushes, Pumpkin directs traffic. You're only 60? 70? Do you really want to go through another 20 or 30 years without a loving dog or cat? Have some faith in your own longevity!

In my case, my DS's family will move onto the property and take over the ducks, turkeys and rabbits, and may or may not keep the sheep. Pumpkin will learn to get along with their dog, and life will go on.

Kit

1 - 20 of 43 Posts