Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In your last relationship with ex spouse or ex significant
other, what parting 'non profane' words did you say?

I can't remember really my parting words with the ex wife.
It must have been something along the lines of thanking
the man she got attached to and hiding it and glad to be rid
of all that nonsense. I remember sort of a last email stating
that I don't wish to be with someone who doesn't want to be
with me.

I don't do 'relationships' flippanant or casually, though I often
think maybe some people go through life okay with that.

The last person I broke up with breached trust by hiding
that she was married. Granted, it was only a shorter term
developing relationship. We found that we are what we are,
and move on. Though she did miss my contact afterwords.
I didn't feel like trying to take her away from her marriage
like my ex spouse did. So, I gave her some useful advice
about a subject dear to me. I told her to go out and plant
a tree in remembrance of me and watch it grow , to signify
I'm not diminished in her absence. Besides, trees are great
for the environment. What do you expect from a guy who
already planted a forest???

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I remember his very clearly. First marriage, early twenties. When I asked why he had the affair and left, he simply said...'I love you very much...I just don't like you.' I had no parting words because I was speechless. Years later, I understood exactly what he meant. I loved him but didn't LIKE him either. Next and last husband, loved and liked him!

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
When I saw him with our grandson's aunt, I walked up to him and said " You are not the man I know" turned and walked away, my heart in a million pieces.
That for me was the official goodbye.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
after catching mine in our bed with someone else, I went to the kitchen they got dressed and as they left he said I will see you on Thursdays!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
She left but wanted to move back to the house we lived in. (It was a rental.)

I moved out and 1000+ miles away to start a new life elsewhere.

I don't remember her leaving me any kind of note. I did leave her a note when I left but it was basically just how and where I had left some of the things I didn't want and the things I specifically left for her use. (Things like some building materials that I had that were intended to add a wall for an additional room space, that kind of thing, really nothing personal.) She moved back in after I moved out. I left the key in the chicken house.

That was it. No fights. No arguments. No harsh words. By the time we were there, the relationship had been over for years. It was just a matter of finally cleaning up the little details.

She had found someone else. By that time, I was interested in somebody else. The divorce was final. I think we were both happy that we were finally able to move on. I know we both ended up much happier.

Now, going on 14 years later, I remember much of that about as well as I remember what I dreamed last night... and I hardly remember that at all. We're not even in the same region of the country.

I will say that when there is a major change like that, I think having left all of the familiar and basically started over a new life somewhere else was a good thing. It gave a chance to reinvent myself and those new friends and acquaintances never knew the old me. Ok, not THAT much different. But different enough that I was able to do some new things that I probably would never have done in my old world.

T

·
0 Posts

I will say that when there is a major change like that, I think having left all of the familiar and basically started over a new life somewhere else was a good thing. It gave a chance to reinvent myself and those new friends and acquaintances never knew the old me. Ok, not THAT much different. But different enough that I was able to do some new things that I probably would never have done in my old world.

Very true. When my first marriage fell apart, I moved (with the help of my family) about 1,500 miles away. Spent some time, and re-found myself. I discovered a responsible woman (32) where a child (16) had last been...

My life took a new direction, and I bettered my situation ten-fold. Invested some time and energy in making myself a great Mom and single bread winner. I think all the positive steps have erased a lot that came before.

I don't remember what I last told the first Ex. I guess it must not have been very profound or prophetic.

I'll pay attention closer this next time... And I do believe the time is fast approaching. :-/

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I think he was a bit confused on what a divorce meant, at least what it meant to me. He's the one who got it going, I certainly didn't object.

I think my final personal words to him were, "Don't you have someone else to swallow your bullsnot?"

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
"I'm going home to do the chores Honey, and I have to have some sleep. I'll be back early in the morning." She was gone before I'd driven fifteen miles, and i was called back to the hospital.

On the other side, a close friend had a wife who had a really bad attitude, though she had given him three sons. I know from another friend who saw it that she slapped him in public, where he was working.

One day she walked into his office and said "I'm leaving you--you get the kids." He told me all he could think of was "Thank God", but he said nothing. He married a good woman and they raised the boys together.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Putting ourselves back together after a spouses/SO's infidelity can be one of the most painful journeys ever. It took quite a few years for me. But here we are, stronger and more sure of ourselves and our worth than ever!!!
Yes, you are right about that. It's not easy in the beginning
after spousal separation to face up to it , but in the scheme
of life we get over it and know more about ourselves
moving forward.
In my estimation, people tend to get hung up on marriage
as the 'ultimate' solution to their existence. Living is
much more than that.

·
Renegade Gypsy Queen
2,126 Posts
My ex-husband: No parting words, I went to work and then went into hiding for about ten years until he stopped trying to stalk and terrorize me and our daughter.

My first significant relationship after that, my fiance: "I love you, see you at 5" He was killed around 430 by a drunk man driving a dump truck.

My last significant ex: Sort of long but summed up, "I think it's time we both face up to the fact that the first three years were awesome but the last four, we have been going in different directions. I think it does both of us a disservice to continue when neither of us are happy and what we each want out of life are not anywhere close to each other. We've grown out of each other."

And the last guy I was dating was a text message since that is how he communicated to me he was breaking up with me because I do not own a tv: "Whatever you have to tell yourself to feel better, Sweetheart."

·
Poo Fairy
6,495 Posts
My last words was "if you've got something to say...say it now, or I am leaving and I wont come back". Funny how 3 years later he has a lot to say, and wants me back.

I warned him, I never go backwards.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I'm just done. Edited to add, because I didn't have time earlier:
I had been constantly accused of cheating, which I NEVER did. He tried to turn me into the person he wanted me to be. I'm talking crazy stuff like not talking to my parents and throwing away pics of me and male friends from childhood. He didn't want me to wear my hair down in public because I would look undressed. He would say crazy stuff when I liked songs on the radio, like I'll bet this brings back memories of old boyfriends, huh.
The last straw was when my best girlfriend asked me to go to a Travis tritt concert with her and he blew up my phone all night saying he bet I was doing sexual stuff, blah blah, I was a ho.
When I got home I said, I'm just done. I want a divorce. I'm not happy and I know you aren't either. It's over.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts