What we learned from the architect

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by tinetine'sgoat, Jan 18, 2007.

1. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

We had our appointment last night and we took alot of our info that you all have helped with to him. They were a very nice company, and we were able to get an intern architect who is working under the main architect and get a better rate. :dance: Should be about $400 for a plan that we can take to the bank and go get our estimates with. I was very excited about that. We learned that to have bedrooms in the basement we have to have a window well with a window big enough for someone to get out of in case of fire. That changed our walkout design a little bit, because if we pick a steeper grade to build into then we can use step down walls and not have to invest as much in concrete, and the more expensive windows in one bedroom. The architect thought we had done a good job not leaving dead space in the house, and we changed the basement layout just slightly that allowed a bigger storage area. They treated us respectfully and listened very well, which I appreciated and had worried about since it is such a small home. These people are used to 2000-3000 sq foot homes so maybe this is a welcome relief from the norm? :rolleyes:

Everyone's help with my questions has been SO appreciated, and we are encouraged by everyone on here and their own experiences. OH, we also learned that we would benefit from scissor trusses in the main room so that we can do a blown in insulation and a wet cellulose in the walls. Cost's more but the benefits seem to far outweigh the costs. Ok, I'm done. :p

2. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like you got a decent price and they are "hometown" architects. hope everything goes well and you live a long and healthy time in yout new place!!

3. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Hey, that's really great!

I was following your previous thread with great interest and I'm relived to hear that they treated a small house as seriously as they would a large house.

It also sounds like you were well-prepared, which I'm sure made their job easier! Congrats! :dance:

/VM

4. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

Were your closets deep enough? That's the only thing they changed on mom's plan in '71. Sounds like you did an excellent job!

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Great! We designed our own home, also. We took our plans to an archetect and she pointed out some design flaws. Like the windows should lie on top of each other (first floor and second floor). It cost $500 ten years ago, so I'd say you got a good deal.

We didn't build that house. By the time we started building the youngest was in college. We live in a much smaller house, but it suits us fine.

6. via media

via media Tub-thumper

WIHH, that's a GREAT idea!! Why don't they make stuff like that standard?!?

We have an outlet very near the top of the fireplace mantle. It makes plugging in Christmas lights, etc. so handy.

We just saw a brand new house that didn't have a single phone jack downstairs (kitchen, dining room, living room, master bedroom, 1 1/2 bathrooms, laundry room). It was big enough for a whole neighborhood to live there...but no one could make a phone call :baby04:

/VM

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

You evidently have not heard of cordless phones. We have only one phone jack in our two level home, but we have three telephones......

8. via media

via media Tub-thumper

:rolleyes: Must be a new invention. Useful when the power goes out.

/VM

9. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

All you have to do is have a spare "non-wireless phone," which can be purchased at any Goodwill for $2, on standby in the closet. When the power goes out, unplug the wireless base unit and plug in the good' ol standby rotary phone.

10. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Ya got me there, CF. :D

I'd just rather have the jack in the kitchen or some other semi-centrally located place, not in an upstairs bedroom (which is where the jack in this house was located).

/VM

11. tinetine'sgoat

tinetine'sgoat Luvin' my family in MO

I like the idea of in cabinet outlets. My dh's cell charger is always gracing our kitchen counter and it's kinda an eyesore. And also the outlet on the mantel.

I'm gonna have dh look into adding the between stud's cabinets, that would be really handy in the kitchen. We are having them put in french doors where we will be adding on a sunroom later in life so we don't have to redo a wall later on. Luckily I started a notebook and am writing down this stuff from on here, so that later on I won't be searching through posts trying to find ideas I liked.

12. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Hubby spent so many hours going over our plans for our modular house to put in extra outlets, telephone jacks and even exactly where to put the lights in the ceiling so we could read in bed and in the LV without lamps around the place. I have outlets on my island in the kitchen, someday i want hubby to
    put lights in the cabinets under the island.

I'm so glad you found a decent architect and that he had some good feedback for you.