Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When removing a cabinet to fix a water leak a while back, we found pictures of our kitchen - with beautiful wood cabinetry. Looked like maple. So, we sanded a small area of the awful beige paint off on the inside of a door and sure enough - MAPLE. Insert drool here.....

That was over a year ago, and since then I have been on a "Let's strip the cabinets and just stain the wood" campaign. 28 cabinet doors, 12 drawers, all the in-between stuff, plus three curved shelves. No big deal, right?

DH has steadfastly refused to do it. Says I don't realize how big of a job it is.

SO.....this morning I got a bug in my bonnet and trotted on down to the hardware store. I had ds take off the doors of one cabinet while I went and bought some paint stripper and a drop cloth and scraper (pride kept me from asking Dh where his were!).

That stripper stuff works good! But then I had to go to the hardware store for more rubber gloves and the chemical that removes the stripper. Then I had to go back to the hardware store for the stuff that removes the stuff that removes the stripper. Then I had to get more rubber gloves and sand paper.

NINE hours later we have two cabinet doors, the frame front of that cabinet, and the three shelves stripped and ready for sanding. My asthma is acting up, I have a splitting headache, and I so wish I had listened to my husband. The rest of the kitchen seems to have tripled in size during the day, but I am now irrevocably committed to doing the whole kitchen.

DH keeps walking through giving us helpful hints, but not actually helping. :grump: Although he did say that once we did all the prep work he would stain and finish them. :)

The only good points to this are that the kids are having a great time and think this is so exciting (we shall see how they feel 26 cabinets later!), the cabinets are truly beautiful, and that I know my DH....by tomorrow it will be driving him nuts and he will pitch in.

The moral of the story.............I'll figure that out when I'm not so tired.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I can relate.

I am just starting year four of what I thought would be a three year major remodeling project.

Started gutting the upstairs a month ago, very slow going and part of me wishes I could just put it all back and quit for a while.

But the upstairs now is bare to the studs, and winter will be here before long, so I can't stop now.

So I keep reminding myself that there will come a day when I will stand in my finished house, and all this will be a memory. There are days when I'm working, I actually feel like my hands belong to someone else, and I'm just watching the work being done (now that is an odd feeling).

I never think about how much work I am getting myself into when I start a project. If I did, I'd never start. My DH also thinks I'm nuts LOL!! He's great at putting things back together, but we agreed at the start that I'd do most of the demo work.

So I suppose I should head back upstairs and get the last of the plaster off the walls/ceiling.

Cathy

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The kids are stripping the doors outside, I am doing the inside work. Also, we are using something called Citristrip Safer stripping gel. Says it is safe for inside work. It works really well and smells like that orange cleaning solution stuff.

It's the supposedly odorless mineral spirits that are messing with me. I notice I am now taking breaks every 15 minutes or so.

I also notice that DH is outside working on a door.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
Sounds like the whole family is getting involved! It will be so nice when you get it done AND you will have the memory too. Be sure to take pictures of them all working, so you can remember together!

Don't quit!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.