Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever used your stick blender to dissolve your lye? I never would have done it, but my mind was zoned out. Slick as snot on a door knob, though! Naturally, deep enough bowl/pot and slow speed to prevent splashing.

It's so humid here that the lye in my bag has begun clumping, which then leads to difficulty getting it all to dissolve (well, at least for my impatient self), and without thinking I just stuck my stick blender in and began blending it with the frozen milk the other day. It worked so well, that's the only way I'll do it from now on. Of course, safety gear is so much more essential...

Does anyone else use the stick blender for their lye solution? I'd just always been taught to hand stir that portion... :shrug:

·
Registered
383 Posts
I used mine when I made soap last a coupe of weeks ago. I thought that I would try something and I made up my lye solution with the frozen milk, then stuck it away to finish the next day. The next time I looked at it, the lye had partially saponified the fat in the milk and I had chunks of gunk floating. So in went the stick blender and I smoothed it all out and soaped it. Soap came out fine, but that is NOT an experiment that I will try again!

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
Tracey,
I hand stir my lye into my milk, but I always have chunks of frozen milk by the time the lye has dissolved so I always finish with a stick blender.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.