What vehicle do you use around the farm?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RandB, May 15, 2006.

1. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

As I am sitting around the house here slowly recovering from my broken knee, I am thinking ahead to when I can start going out again. I think I am going to need something I can ride around the barnyard and field. Of course if money was no object, I would love a Gator or a golf cart, or even a small 4-wheeler, but money is definitely a BIG object these days :rolleyes:
    I am thinking maybe we can pick up an older riding mower and DH can modify it somehow to make it comfortable for me to get around with. Has anybody "created" a useful little cart for getting around the farm?

2. Wildoutdoorsmen

Wildoutdoorsmen Active Member

Get yourself a little old pick up and cut with a grinder the parts you don't need off. Then put on a flat bed. It is the cheapest way I can think of. Also, lawnmowers are so loud. At least golf carts are battery operated and quiet. But, they have little power around the farm. You can normally find a little pickup for around a few hundred to $1000 and they are easy to work on or get parts for.

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My cuz sold me his Jeep YJ for just this task. Much more rugged than a gator and at $650 its hard to go wrong

4. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd probably choose a small farm tractor for the task, but they can get pricey.

5. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I use a small rider mower without the cutting deck. Good ground clearance in the hilly and rocky vistas of the Ozarks. Yep, it IS noisy, but I guess I could be/should be using hearing protection. I have a several-years-old dump cart hooked up to the rider, and it is extremely useful. Cheap, too.

NeHi Mama

6. DixyDoodle

DixyDoodle stranger than fiction

I would love a larger cc ATV, but they are not very practical in comparison to a reliable tractor. We don't own either at this point, but are looking! I have to admit I would take a sort of evil pleasure in driving an ATV up and down the road at all hours, to get back at some of the neighbours, or better yet, just parking in their driveway at midnight and revving that baby up! Maybe toss a few empty beer bottles in the yard for good measure. :D

If it's a toss-up between a riding mower or an old beater truck, go for the truck. Ride-ons are not built for driving on uneven ground (or if you've mowed on a slope, you know what I mean), and a truck has a higher axle. **picturing a ride-on stuck up to the wheel wells in mud **

DD

7. nehimama

Yep, DixieDoodle! I've had the rider stuck in the mud before - LOL! I've learned since where NOT to take it, and to keep an eye on what the ground might be like.

NeHi Mama

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Given the rising price of gas, I'd go with a pony or goat cart!

Kathleen

9. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Now that's an intriguing solution.

10. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

when I tore up my knee, I took the old lawn tractor and put a basket on the back of it, bolted a lever on the clutch, (the side my knee was messed up) so I could hand operate the clutch, and I put rubber straps on the basket, (old milk crate), so I could keep the crutches handy,

I used it for about 6 months, build electric fence off the thing one winter, use to go get the mail about 1/4 mile down the road, it was a great all terrain wheel chair, no ti was not fast but it was sturdy and good, and if I would have needed to I could have pulled a wagon as well and I think i did when I was putting up electric fence,

11. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I use a riding mower with the mowing deck removed. I also have a small cart for it and we just love it! Plus, should the other mower break down we have a back-up...which is needed around here! Miss a week of mowing and it's time to get the bush-hog out!

12. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use the riding mower if you have any rough terrain to cover. Ours hangs up on part of our yard. Maybe if the mowing deck were removed, though, you'd do okay. Still, they're not made for very rough terrain. A lawn tractor would be better, and an ATV better yet. I know, they're $$

13. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We bought a two wheel drive ATV 4 years ago for 800.00 dollars used(we now have two used two wheel drive ATVs) and have put little money into it. Tires oil and a spark plug. More comfortable than a lawn mower. I also have a lawn mower (no deck) but here on rough terrain it can murder a back quickly.

14. nehimama

And then I missed the POINT of the OP! Sheesh. Needs a way to get around the place following a knee injury. And here I rambled on & on about using the deckless rider for hauling stuff and working. Sorry if that wasn't too helpful. I was thinking as a person with two good, working knees. I hope you have a complete and painless recovery, and that it's soon.

NeHi Mama

15. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the ideas -
    I have been watching the papers, I can't find a golf cart or ATV for less than $1000, and a used small pickup or jeep is even more.
    Nehimama - that's OK, what you are using is what I have in mind. We have 2 rider mowers, I am thinking take off the mower, maybe get a new seat that has a good shock-absorber. I would also like some kind of basket attached maybe on the back. As far as noise, I can wear a headset radio that I have, I have used it when mowing. One of the things I hope to be able to do is go out into the big pasture with our dogs, and ride around to keep an eye on them while they have a run. I also need something to ride back and forth from house down to the barnyard and back when gathering eggs, etc. My leg is going to take awhile to build up to being able to do those things again. Our ground is pretty flat, so hills aren't a problem. As far as a rough ride, even a 4-wheeler will bump around if the ground is rough, so I will wear my knee brace and just go slow if it is bumpy.
    (And by the way, I have also gotten a mower sunk into the mud before, at least they aren't to heavy to push/pull out!)

16. Tarot Farm

Tarot Farm Well-Known Member

This past year I have used both goat and pony/Miniature horse power to get around. I used the goat first to move some firewood (before I get rattled on, he was a very big South African Boer buck) from the woodile to the house. Later on, when I found a good 'using cart' for the Mini stallion, I used him; that is where he really learned what 'whoa, left turn and right turn' mean....he also knows what 'gee and haw' means too...but I sorta think that those commands are more for the mules, drafts, donks and did I say mules? :rolleyes:

I also use the mini horse power to haul other things...such as hay, water, produce and I sometimes hitch up to make the 6 mile round trip into town to mail letters and packages.

It is quite relaxing to take a nice ride with a 'well trained Mini or goat'. They do not get stuck in the mud (as a rule) and are not noisy!

Just remember to put a 'slow moving vehicle emblem' on the back of the cart!
    You can get a ticket from the ole law dogs if you do not have one on there.
    I just like the idea that I do not have to WEAR SEAT BELTS! (Not yet anyways.....but giv'm time... :grump: )

Most of the gas lawn mowers do not get that great of 'mileage'...plus, they are very noisy, plus they pollute the air more than most other vehicles do.

Another advantage of goat or pony power is that you get organic fertilizer in return for that garden! :p Plus, they help mow the grass and the goats are great for weed control.

17. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

call me dumb, but I don't quite understand the question. do you mean to just transport yourself from point A to point B or does it involve hauling stuff? and how big are your spreads? that makes a difference. we only have 40 acres, so we use our two feet to get around and carry stuff that is not too heavy.

18. chuckhole

chuckhole Born city, love country

I bought my DW the Kubota RTV900 for getting around, hauling and just plain fun. It is 4-wheel drive and the dump bed is hydraulic so it is excellent for working. The seating is a single bench seat and it is comfortable at a top speed of 24mph. The windshield makes it warmer in the winter and the top is enough to keep you pretty dry in the rain. In know that with a diesel engine, it will last forever.

19. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Had a 4 wheeler, but a Electric/battery Golf-Cart is what I would get and its what I have been using for 12 years on my farm. Its quiet, smooth riding, low mantainance, pulls smaller trailers with ease, like a small boat on a trailer. I use mine Every Day, and I can drive up to my solar panels and recharge it when needed. The one I have now------I did pay $1500 for it, but I paid $500 for the first one and used it 11 years, and it is still going, and it was old when I bought it. I have my golfcart set-up with a power inverter so I can use my electric chain saws, saws, drills, tools, small air compressor etc---its a Big help. Keep your eyes open---U might find one at a good price in your area, my neighbor has a older one that needs a little work(seat replaced and needs 2 batteries)----for $100 right now with a charger. Good Luck!! Randy

20. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

With my Hips.ATV's and Horses won't work with having to stradle them.My Jeep is really difficult to get in and out of.Pickup for me is the best way to go.Its still hard to get in and out.

big rockpile