What veggies not to grow

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by perennial, Jan 6, 2005.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I'm going to increase my garden in a big way this year. It costs us too much for
    veggies. Are there any veggies you wouldn't grow because they are not worth it?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Only the ones I wouldn't eat. I used to refuse to grow potatoes because they are so cheap, but in the last few years it has become nearly impossible to find potatoes that aren't green. So I'll be growing my own.

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I'm not growing corn or storage potatoes, too many bigger producers here, so they're really cheap at harvest time . I will only grow a few potatoes for personal 'fresh' comsuption, you know, those little baby ones, ymmm!

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't plant carrotts as they are always cheap. Ditto Cabbage but I usually plant fall cabbage for kimchi and kraut. Onions are cheap all year,too but we plants lots as we like different varieties. This year we planted taters even though they are generally 10 cents a lb. year round here--had a fab crop and then the monsoon rains fell here in MO and at least half the crop is out there in the mud and well rotted by now, I'm sure. This year will plant in straw and hope for better luck...it was too early for them to store well here anyhow when we dug 'em--cold cellar not cold enough so will plant late this year. Every year a new adventure! DEE

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Wife says not to mess with Sweet Corn.She is always after me about planting too many Beans.I planted 35 pounds of Potatoes.Been giving them away,eating on them,gave 70 pounds for Christmas.Yes we were Blessed with them I will cut back.Like one of the women said one Potatoe is enough to feed a family.

Thing is with me I just can't see buying anything if I can raise it.And I don't like doing without.

big rockpile

6. desnri

desnri Well-Known Member

I'm with Big Rock Pile, if I can grow it, I will. The things I don't grow are either the things I don't like to eat or the things I don't know how to grow yet. (Emphasis on yet). Well, there is one thing I like that I don't grow...pinto beans. They are really, really cheap. But, I might change my mind about that, too.

7. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

Asparagus.

I love asparagus, mind you.

But asparagus is a perenial, and over the years, its roots get strong and massive underground.

A few years ago (before I got into gardening) I volunteered to go to my sister in law's garden and dig up her asparagus, because she decided she wanted to use the land for other things, and she was weakened herself from a bout with cancer.

Oh, how difficult it was to dig out those roots! It was like digging out the roots of a huge tree, I swear. That was 10 years ago, and I swear my back still aches when I think about it!

No thanks -- I don't want to ever plant asparagus, unless I have a piece of land that I am 100% sure I will never, ever, ever want to use for anything else.

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Anything is worth growing in my opinion :D , but things that aren't worth growing in the money area only are things like corn, potatoes, beans and shell peas.

9. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I don't grow sweet corn because I have a friend that grows acres of it and I trade potaotoes for it. I don't grow dried beans like pinto, navy, kidney etc. because it is so cheap to buy them. I grow just about everything else I can because I love freshness. I used to plant an abundance of everything and what ever I couldn't sell or give away, went to the hens or the compost bin. Now, I plant more variety and less in quanity.

10. Thoughthound

Thoughthound Well-Known Member

You also have to consider the cost of fresh out of the garden vs trucked across the country and left on shelves for a week or more.

Even the cheap vegetables taste much--much--better out of the garden.

That being said, and since I live in Iowa, I do not grow corn. But I also don't bother with squash. And I don't grow melons because of garden space vs. cost of buying considerations.

11. dakani

dakani Well-Known Member

Don't grow the vegetables that require a lot of water or care or whatever. Grow the easy-care stuff, the plant-it-and-let-it-do-its-own-thing sort of vegetable. Excess can go to friends, neighbours, chickens, or the compost heap. I like growing dried beans because I like to make meals that use ingredients that I grew. I know they're cheap, but if you have the space, grow them. Very easy. Plant, then ignore until harvestable. Most importantly though, don't bother with those things that you don't like, even if they are easy to grow.

12. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

"No thanks -- I don't want to ever plant asparagus, unless I have a piece of land that I am 100% sure I will never, ever, ever want to use for anything else."

Why advise someone not to plant asparagus just on the remote chance you would have to dig it up again??? That's like advising someone to not plant fruit trees for the same reason. Go ahead and plant asparagus, but use common sense and plant it on the edge of the garden out of the way.

By the way, you could have saved a lot of work by just harvesting the asparagus all summer and never let it grow up. Chances are it would have died over winter if it never got a chance to grow over summer-fall and those roots would have made good fertilizer after rotting off in the ground.

13. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Thanks for your advice.

I thought asparagus was a bienniel? I think my FIL just let his go to seed when he decided they didn't eat enough of it to keep growing it. I'll have to ask him. I might plant that next year. But is it so expensive and we eat it weekly. I grill it on my stove-top grill pan with a tiny bit of olive oil and salt. My kids devour it! So for that reason i'll grow it.

14. Bruce in NE

Bruce in NE Well-Known Member

Asparagus beds can last 20 years or longer. Plant plenty of it, you use more than you think, and it freezes nicely. I've got a 1/2 acre of it and sell it each year in town.

Don't buy your roots from the regular catalogs. They are a rip off. Go for the Jersey hybrids, much higher yields. I bought mine directly from a grower, jerseyasparagus.com -- a good company and crowns are at least half the cost of catalog bought crowns.

15. I don't plant any dried beans. They take up too much space and take too much time to make it worth it. Also there are some varities of veg. that I quit planting just cause I don't have a green thumb for. But, I'll keep on planting my taters and corn cause they taste a whole lot better than anything you buy in the store.

16. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

If you have the time and space it is worth growing any vegetable you eat (if it will grow where you are). Even the cheap stuff is cheaper and better if you grow it yourself and if you are into organic food you save even more.

17. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

The only thing I don't grow is peas....too much work for what you get....unless you also like to eat the young sprouts.

18. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Now peas are one thing I have to grow. The only peas I will eat are fresh, raw, straight from the pod - you can only do that if you grow them yourself.

19. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Peas are like beans, takes tons of plants.

20. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I grow stuff I willeat. if I wont eat it there isnt much point is there?
    my garden this year will be re engineeered back to the raised box beds i used to grow with and produced tones weed free, then i went to tilled field method and rows and havent gron a decent garden in years from the weeds.
    I tend to over produce stuff so for the moment ow I have way to much canned tomatosauce and deer meat. So this year I\ll grow something else.
    I have found an intersting game to play at the food bank... lots of people dont like the stuff they get, so trade off your high sugar stuff with them for stuff they dont like.
    I can trade the pudding candyt and cookies for caned carrots, beans and fruit. most people gag at the 2# Pound bags of powedered milk and stewed tomatoes, so I trade for those. I really dunno how people dont drop dead eating all that sugar and garbage but hey, I get what i want they get the garbage they like.

they are making me pay 60 bucks a month for sewage service i dont need, I want all the free food the community (wo is benifiting from my misery) will hand me.

they all got new paved roads too... I want extra peas and carrots for that.