Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
they probably won't eat onions. nothing is guarenteed. i used to think they wouldn't touch tomatos...until i had 4 plants topped this spring. even so, no more of my tomatos have been touched by either deer or groundhogs. i know they love anything in the cabbage family...geesh. they will eat beans too.

·
Registered
429 Posts
My experience has been they don't eat garlic, onions, herbs, potatoes, radishes and arugula and mustards. Any really strong smelling thing. Not sure why not potatoes. Everything else is fair game. Carrots and beets they pull out of the ground or just chomp them off. Tomatoes they top them and eat the tomatoes or at least bite them. Lisa

·
Registered
289 Posts
One person suggested a bar of zest soap. That person had said to have a rope around the garden and, having a hole in the soap, run the soap along the rope every 4th day and just after a rain.

I thought the deer didn't like the zest soap smelll. No, I was told it is to fake them out so they think a human is actually in the garden, LOL, so they stay away. Hence, it wouldn't matter what you planted, only you have to be consistent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts