Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a space heater or an electric blanket? I say the space heater but a friend of mine says they'll use about the same amount of power. I was thinking about trying to get electric blankets for the kids since their rooms seem to be the coldest.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Can't answer your question but I do have a suggestion.
Get the heated mattress pads. They are wonderful!

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
why not get one of those sheepskin (real or fake)mattress pads and a down comforter? Much cheaper in the long run than electric. AND not to mention I believe electric blankets for kids turn them into cold wusses. Here's my proof :D heh

My hub was raised in CA with an electric blanket. He is so cold when he sleeps, he needs two dogs and a down comforter AND two sleeping bags to keep from freezing(note I am not calling it "warm"). Me (and my kids) were raised sleeping in cold rooms with just enough blankets, and we all are total furnaces(and no, we aren't covered with blubber either!). SO I say spend your money on good bedding and long johns, AND you never have to worry about the eletricity going out. I also wrap a hot brick warmed on top the woodstove to put at my feet when it gets really cold, feels awesome. (or you can use a hotwater bottle)

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I agree layering is the way to go. Our sleeping rooms are top floor kept about 50-58 degress. I pile on blankets and usually stick a part out to keep from getting to hot. Hubby was raised in hot house with no coivers aand it has taken me years to get him acclimitized to colder lioving. However he seems to have finally made the adjustment and not once this year has he complained yet about the temps even though the house averages about 64 degrees at the warmest unless I am doing a lot of cooking!

·
tryna be His
2,199 Posts
I'm really trying to get used to sleeping in a cooler home, but it isn't easy at all. Our temp is going down to 19 tonight, so we'll see if I can make it without the heater on.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have not used an electric blanket since the winter of 85 when I awoke in the middle of the night to the sight of burning flames at the foot of my bed. The end of the blanket closest to the cord caught on fire and I woke up just before the fire spread far enough to burn me.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
We got these oil-filled space heaters for our house. They really work good and don't use much electricity.

http://www.heatershop.com/oil_filled_radiators.html

We actually got ours off of Amazon with free shipping. I recommend the small ones. We got three, one large and three small.

Our cabin is in snow country and everybody in our home town is using them now to supplement wood heat.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well right now I'm just using a fan to blow heat from the woodstove in their rooms. I'm not going out and getting anything....just playing with ideas. They also tend to pile up in the same bed together if its really cold. We'll have some nights down in the 20's this week and they've been sick so I'm just trying to come up with ideas to keep them warm enough and keep the power bill down. maybe next year I can request down comforters from my mil for them but I'm sure she's already bought their presents for this year.

·
Registered
432 Posts
An electric blanket will use far far less electricity as you're heating a tiny air space under the covers, and you have all the insulation of the blankets holding the heat in. With the space heater you're bringing an entire room up to temperature.

Having said that if you want to save money then pile on the blankets and warm the bed with a hot water bottle before they get in.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I, too, would skip all electrical options. We use flannel sheets (you know the heavy kind that are flat, with the stripes at the top and bottom), quilts/cotton blankets/comforters, and warm jammies. The fabric on most mattresses is synthetic, and will cause sweating and chilling, so either one or two flannel bottom sheets, or flannel sheet and then a natural (ie. cotton or bamboo) mattress cover will stop that problem. And if the beds need to be warmed before getting in, I would use hot water bottles before getting in, but not leaving for long, or moving it down to the foot. When it cools, it won't be comfortable to sleep with.

Using all of these things would be a one-time expense, not a monthly electric bill, and not a possible fire hazard.

·
Premium Member
42,759 Posts
The elec blanket will be cheaper to operate, especially if you only turn it on a few minuteds before bedtime, then once the bed is preheated let them hop in and you turn it off, with a good quilt or down filled comforter over them they will be warm as toast all night.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
why not get one of those sheepskin (real or fake)mattress pads and a down comforter? Much cheaper in the long run than electric. AND not to mention I believe electric blankets for kids turn them into cold wusses. Here's my proof :D heh

My hub was raised in CA with an electric blanket. He is so cold when he sleeps, he needs two dogs and a down comforter AND two sleeping bags to keep from freezing(note I am not calling it "warm"). Me (and my kids) were raised sleeping in cold rooms with just enough blankets, and we all are total furnaces(and no, we aren't covered with blubber either!). SO I say spend your money on good bedding and long johns, AND you never have to worry about the eletricity going out. I also wrap a hot brick warmed on top the woodstove to put at my feet when it gets really cold, feels awesome. (or you can use a hotwater bottle)
I'll counter. ;)

I grew up with an electric blanket. DH grew up in a drafty attic with no heat. He's always cold. I'm always hot. lol

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have not used an electric blanket since the winter of 85 when I awoke in the middle of the night to the sight of burning flames at the foot of my bed. The end of the blanket closest to the cord caught on fire and I woke up just before the fire spread far enough to burn me.
Exactly how did it catch fire?....I'll never be able to sleep tonight worrying that my elec. blanket will catch fire! :eek:

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Compare the watt ratings of the 2. The higher the rating the more it will use.

Typically small heaters are in the 1000 to 1500watt range while electric blankets are in th 150 to 300watt range.

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
haha ErinP--well yeah there are always exceptions to every rule :D

I forgot to add--you can put one of those rectangular flannel lined sleeping bags(open it all the way up and spread it out, flannel side up) on the mattress, then put a flannel fitted sheet over the top of it, then your other stuff. It feels like heaven :D

·
Registered
623 Posts
I am not sure where I read it; but somewhere I read that it is not good to sleep under electric blankets for health reasons/ Also, be careful if you have pets that sleep with you. We once had a dog that would burrow under the blankets when she was cold and would chew a little hole and stick her nose out when she got hot; not a good option with an electric blanket.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts