What type of wormer is safe for dairy goats?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MiriamD, Mar 9, 2004.

1. MiriamD

MiriamD Member

It has been several years since I had milking goats and, I'm embarassed to say, I have forgotten alot. I was sure that I used Ivermectin paste to worm my goats but now I am hearing that this is not a safe wormer for lactating does. I'd like to know what types of wormer is best for does who's milk is being cosumed by humans--us!

2. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

All wormers have a withdrawl time. Most will say on the labels. Paste wormer are not the most efficent way to worm and actually miss alot of them. Cattle injectable wormer given orally is more effective. The withdrawl time will be on the labels

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Ivomec injectable given orally is OK. I toss milk 3 days. Withdrawal is said to be longer, but in 3rd world countries it is used on humans.
    Safeguard has no withholding time.
    Valbazen has I believe a 3day withdrawal.
    Cydectin pour on given orally is I think 3 days too. I will try to find my notes & get back to you. I usually toss 3 days no matter what I use.

4. MiriamD

MiriamD Member

Thanks, Thanks, It won't be any problem to toss three days of milk since I have so much of it!

5. Can "tossed" milk be given to a veal calf or pig? or chickens?

6. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Sure can. All my tossed milk went to the pigs, cats, dogs, chickens, whatever.

7. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We use the herbal (wormwood) wormer sold by Hoegger year round. No holdback once their level is tritated (first 3 days)

8. Carol in Mich

Carol in Mich Active Member

Is it safe to worm a pregnant goat?

9. Lt. Wombat

Carol with the herbal you give it weekly, year around, no exceptions. We have had no ill effects in over 2 years useage.

10. missmouse

missmouse Member

Do your goats like the herbal wormer? I have one that thinks it is almost better than grain and two that HATE(!!!) it.

11. Lt. Wombat

At first we had to mix it with molassis but now they take it straight. Not feeding them too much the night before and making the grain/wormer the first food the next morning makes them gobble it down so fast they can't taste it anyway.