What type of watering system do you use?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by MillsFarmFamily, Dec 28, 2005.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

We are currently using a 5 gallon bucket for watering our 4 goats + 2 kids. This past week they have managed to turn it over every a.m. What do you all use to water your "herd"?

2. GeorgiaberryM

GeorgiaberryM Well-Known Member

We do the same - but I have 2 or 3 buckets for 3 goats. If you put the bucket down in the center of an old tire it is harder to overturn. Also put in as many buckets as it takes to keep them full of water. My goats prefer white or light colored buckets - anyone else noticed this? Maybe they just don't like sticking their heads in a dark hole . . .

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I use six 40 gallon black rubber water tubs that the feedstore/farmstore carries for my herd of 80-100 goats. They are low enough that kids can drink from them and small enough I can dump them even when they are full. I love them! And I have never had a goat dump them, not even a rambunctious buck.... :) They are also easy to scrub clean a few times during the course of the summer.

4. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We have a stock tank, a couple of buckets that hang on the side of the stall, and couple of the black hard rubber water pans. The stock tank makes life easy in warm weather.

5. jim/se kansas

jim/se kansas Well-Known Member

I use molasses lick tubs, they are about 25 gallons and work real well. I have twelve does and keep it filled each morning. I also have a electric water heater that keeps it from freezing.
    Blessings, Jim

6. stoneymom

stoneymom Well-Known Member

We have several of the big black "feed tubs" that we have water in. Also during the winter months I use the heated blue buckets from the feed store. I have never had trouble with the goats tipping them over.

7. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

Any danger of the kids jumping into the lower "feed tub" type water containers?

8. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I use the 40 gallon water tubs in the larger pens and a smaller black water tub in the smaller pen. They can't tip over. The really little babies are too small to fall into them. The only goats I've ever found in mine were the older kids (4-5 months old) who were playing around and they were too big to drown in them. They just jumped right out. Goats hate being wet. These are the right size for the stock heaters I use in winter. When I have had to use a bucket, I clip the handle to the cattle panel so the goats don't tip it.

9. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I just use a bucket, one for the babies and one for the big girls. I've almost never found it tipped over.
    The Alapaca farmer down the hill from me has large heated water buckets for his animals. They hang from a hook that has a circle of metal over it. I think this prevents the animals from dislodging the buckets and flipping them.

10. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

My dam-raised kids have never gotten into my 40 gallon tubs. It "could" happen though, so I put a flat rock or concrete block in the middle of the 40 gallon tubs when the kids are small. That way if one did manage to get in, it could also get out.
    For my bottle babies I use a bucket placed inside an upside down milk crate, when they are small, and a 6 gallon rubber tub as they get older.

11. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

We use one of those 19 gal. plastic utility sinks they sell at Lowes/Home Depot. We set it on the ground without the legs on a slight slope and dig out a little trench just below the drain hole. Then use one of those rubber covered metal stoppers, with a wing nut, that tightens into the drain hole---I think they're called "test plugs."

What I like is you can empty it and clean it out without having to turn it over. May be too tall for kids, but just the right height for adult goats. If you have a perfectly flat barnyard it probably wouldn't drain very well.

BTW, we have 13 goats.

Nancy

12. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

In the main pens I use 50 gallon Rubbermaid stock tanks (the shortest ones). In the stock trailer I use the $5 blue tubs from Dollar General when it is warm and in the winter I have a five gallon flat backed heated water bucket.
    The stock tanks can take more punishment when I am breaking ice up in the wintertime than the plastic tubs that shatter or break easily.

13. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

unbelievable. RIGHT AFTER I read your post, I went out to let my goats out and they had tipped over their 5 gallon bucket! (for the first time in 2 years!)

funny, funny world....

14. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

I have a 200 gallon stock tank that we already had for the horses when we got the goats, I just put two cinderblocks on the ground to the side of the tank and the goats stand on them and drink.

15. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Our goats came able to use a automatic Lixit type waterer. They taught the new ones this method so no more bucket hauling.

16. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

I only have two Goats at the moment. I use a White Bucket for out in their pasture. As long as its full I have never had any problems with them dumping it over. For in the barn I use smaller Blue metal handled buckets that I can carry to and from the house to fill.

17. Misty

Misty Misty Gonzales

It could happen, but I had a doe deliver a kid in her 5 gallon bucket when we were gone...so they are dangerous. Sometimes they jump in and goats are just not swimmers. Anything can happen really.
    I have a couple of large water tubs for the large goats and we use the mineral tubs for the smaller goats.

18. mamagoose

mamagoose Well-Known Member

We have used the 50 gal rubbermaid tank for several years outside. In pens, we hang buckets.