Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that my orchard is doing so well and I have things under control there, I would like to plant a raised strawberry patch. I would like your opinions of strawberries. The variety and what type of soil you have would be a great help. Thanks Debbie

·
Baroness of TisaWee Farm
2,166 Posts
5TR-Apiary said:
Now that my orchard is doing so well and I have things under control there, I would like to plant a raised strawberry patch. I would like your opinions of strawberries. The variety and what type of soil you have would be a great help. Thanks Debbie
I have Ozark Beauties and LOVE 'EM! Huge, very sweet berries..... don't even use sugar on them.

Soil? I live in Ohio. So-so soil. Not clay, not sandy. I have never added anything other than a layer of straw or woodchips to pathways between the rows.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Wish I could remember what my strawberries are called, starts with a Q.
I got them because they don't sent out runners, have enought to do around here without beating the berry patch back with a stick. :haha:
They never make it into the house, just stand there and eat em!!!

They are in 2 long planter boxes on the back porch to keep the birds at bay.
Soil, I'm in California so anything grows here, including WEEDS, lots and lots of weeds.

Kris

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi We have Camarosa, Ozarl Beauty & Gurney's Whoopers Camarosa is by far the largest berry good tasting ( silver dollar size) Ozark is smaller but produce very well & the Gurneys we jsut planted last year were a little smaller than the Camarosa but still big berrys
Bigdog

L

·
0 Posts
I have Sequoias, got them from www.SpringHillNursery.com last year. They had a special on... 25 strawberry plants for $9.99 and a free strawberry jar. The jar holds about 15-17 plants, leaving some to plant in 2 quart containers to sell separately. I got $24 for the planted jars and $4 each for the single plants in separate pots. They are VERY prolific. I bought 25 orders of them. Go to their site and sign up for the e-newsletter to get notice of their specials.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts