What type of strawberries do you have and why?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by 5TR-Apiary, Feb 7, 2004.

1. 5TR-Apiary

5TR-Apiary Active Member

Now that my orchard is doing so well and I have things under control there, I would like to plant a raised strawberry patch. I would like your opinions of strawberries. The variety and what type of soil you have would be a great help. Thanks Debbie

2. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I have Ozark Beauties and LOVE 'EM! Huge, very sweet berries..... don't even use sugar on them.

Soil? I live in Ohio. So-so soil. Not clay, not sandy. I have never added anything other than a layer of straw or woodchips to pathways between the rows.

3. KrisW

KrisW Well-Known Member

Wish I could remember what my strawberries are called, starts with a Q.
    I got them because they don't sent out runners, have enought to do around here without beating the berry patch back with a stick. :haha:
    They never make it into the house, just stand there and eat em!!!

They are in 2 long planter boxes on the back porch to keep the birds at bay.
    Soil, I'm in California so anything grows here, including WEEDS, lots and lots of weeds.

Kris

4. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

Hi We have Camarosa, Ozarl Beauty & Gurney's Whoopers Camarosa is by far the largest berry good tasting ( silver dollar size) Ozark is smaller but produce very well & the Gurneys we jsut planted last year were a little smaller than the Camarosa but still big berrys
    Bigdog

5. 5TR-Apiary

5TR-Apiary Active Member

6. I have Sequoias, got them from www.SpringHillNursery.com last year. They had a special on... 25 strawberry plants for $9.99 and a free strawberry jar. The jar holds about 15-17 plants, leaving some to plant in 2 quart containers to sell separately. I got $24 for the planted jars and $4 each for the single plants in separate pots. They are VERY prolific. I bought 25 orders of them. Go to their site and sign up for the e-newsletter to get notice of their specials.