Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
economic envrionment?

Any ideas? Of course I realize that there may be some regional/economic differences between states and cities. What are you finding?

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I read an article this morning that said the jobs to be found are in the health industry, government jobs (40,000 currently open), and certain teaching positions, such as high school math and science.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I wouldn't bet on the government jobs. I work for the USDA and we just took a budget cut of 60%. I've been telling them at work not to be hiring new people because we're going to have to lay them off eventually. We didn't let anyone go this year, but their saying the budget for next year will be at least another 40%. I'm just glad that I have enough years in that I could bump someone if they eliminated my job.

Bob

·
In Memorium
15,516 Posts
The food industry. Not fast food either. The basic foods- dairy, meat, cereal, bread, etc.

People will always have to eat.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think that RRAD is still hiring people to work in Iraq and kuwait.
There are still some jobs down in the hurricane-affected areas too for construction

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
I have friends in Wyoming that say the oil and gas related jobs are hiring ... mostly central/eastern Wyoming and eastern Montana ... but there are jobs in almost everything else as well because the oil field jobs are highest paying so it pulls people out of other areas.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Around me the print industry is hiring in almost every department, Mc Donalds, The Gap, K-mart, dentists and hygienists, RN's LPN's and HHA's.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Went to a Law Enforcement job fair at the local Work Source a few weeks ago. Had recruiters from The Border Patrol, Customs, Corrections, State Patrol, Sheriffs Office & City Police. Other than the County & City they all said they were very short handed. Very good pay & benefits. I was to old but, for someone 39 or younger, there are some excellent opportunities in Law Enforcement.

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
We are in an Oil & Gas state, they are still hiring as is the Trucking industry here.
The new industry here is Wind Energy - they are training techs and such at the Vo-Techs too.

Plus - we have lots of road construction going on, so there are still plenty of those and of course the Medica Field is always hiring here - lots of jobs in Research, Nursing, etc.

PTL - we seem to still be holding our own at the moment. The government jobs are slowing down at the moment, but once the new Economic stimulus package is introduced in January, I figure that may cause things to pick up here too, like- Public Transportation, more Roads & Bridges work. We still seem to have lots of construction going on.

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
They're desperate for machinsts in Tulsa. I hear ads every day with starting pay $20 an hour for CNC and $24 for manual machinists, with a sign-on bonus. It's what my son does, and he says they're really hurting. Of course, with things drying up the way they are who knows how long that will last? :shrug:

·
Registered
293 Posts
My father works on computer programming for sonar and radar installations. (Or something like that.) His company is offering a $1000 bonus to any employee who refers a new hire to the company.

Kayleigh
I'll second that one on computer programming, most of them are still hiring, with the same salaries as pre-depression. The computer PROGRAMMING industry already went through it's recession aka the web 1.0 crash of 1999/2000. And without a single dime of bailout money. It only lasted about a year or two and we are back on our feet and wiser for it :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I read an article this morning that said the jobs to be found are in the health industry, government jobs (40,000 currently open), and certain teaching positions, such as high school math and science.

USG and Defense Contractors here, we're also adding another prison in a couple years.

I just submitted my resignation for my contractor job yesterday as I start work as a Department of the Army Civilian on 5 JAN. They've restructured our post HQs and quite a few positions have opened up.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
Healthcare, government and, sadly, anything associated with death - selling plots, funeral services etc. They actually say that more people die in an economic crisis because they are less likely to seek healthcare and general nutrition goes down.

There are also jobs to be had in communications - ie anything to do with cell phones, ISP's etc. as the access to instant communication seems to have become a need equal to food and oxygen. Fortunately, my company is fairly steeped in communications and healthcare so we look ok, so far.

·
joy seeker
1,482 Posts
The agriculture/seed business that husband o' mine works for is growing rapidly right now; hiring quite a few this year with more to follow in the upcoming year.

~~

·
Registered
405 Posts
My husband works for RollsRoyce on the west side of Indianapolis and they are hiring 100 new employees. There is a job fair this Saturday between 8-11am. You MUST have 1 year of machine experience to be considered. You also need to bring 3 copies of your resume. Testing will be done and you should plan to be there about 3 hours. It is being held at the testing center adjacent to plant 5 on Tibbs Ave. Starting pay is $17.26 with great benefits.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts