What type of mushroom is this? (pic)

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, May 28, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I have these growing around here... any help?
    [​IMG]

2. seedspreader

I was sure someone on here would know what kind of mushroom. So I am bumping this.

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Maybe someone in the Plant Identification Forum could help.

4. poppy

poppy Guest

Bob, it is hard to identify on my computer. It looks kind of stringy on the edges' Is it that was underneath also? If so, I would say it is a strain of mushroom called a bear's head or lions mane. If it is, they are very tasty. I don't think there are any poisonous mushrooms resembling that which grow on trees.

5. seedspreader

6. poppy

poppy Guest

Thanks for the pic Bob. It is not what I thought it was. There are a lot of " shelf " mushrooms. Most common edible is the various species of oyster mushrooms. I am not sure what yours is. If it has small holes under the cap, it is one of the many types of polypores. Not many are very good to eat. If it has gills under the cap, It could be one of the many colorations of oyster mushrooms or something entirely different. Oyster mushrooms are usually rounded edged when fresh and as they age the edge turns up and splits sort of like your picture. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

7. Around here the injuns call them elephant ear mushrooms and they are suppose to be edible but I haven't tried them as I have never found one on my own. I was with another guy deer hunting when he found and took some home with him. That's how I found out about them. The guy is still living although I didn't witness him eating any.

8. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

It definately isn't one of the common ones. Most decent looking shelf shrooms seem to be OK to eat ... some down right delicious. Don't eat unless you're sure. I too don't know of any that are poisonus shelf shrooms either. Send to local ag extension office.

9. seedspreader

After looking a bit I don't think these are "elephant ears". The closest I can find so far (and what I believe it to be) is... Favolus

[​IMG]

10. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

I guess that's the underside... looks almost like Dryad's Saddle ... or Pheasant-back Polypore. Good to eat. Extremely common here in W. PA. It isn't quite though.