What type of clippers does every one use??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chris30523, Apr 2, 2006.

1. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

I am wanting to purchase clippers that can be use to shave goats,horses,and my great pyr.I know you have to have different types of blades but I am confused by the different speeds???What brands and speeds does everyone use and which blades for what?Thanks

2. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an Oster A5 single speed clipper. You can buy different sized blades for it and they are easy to change out. I use it on my goats and my small dogs. I also have a Wahl adjustable animal clipper I like to use on udders and around hooves.

3. KimM

KimM Student of goatology.

I have used Oster Golden A5 and like them for small, delicate areas but they don't have enough power for body clipping without leaving marks. I have had Double K (cable driven) and they are powerful but the cable is very cumbersome and downright dangerous for delicate areas. (The weight of the cable will pull on the clipper)
    I now have the cordless Oster Power Pro. They are great for all areas and powerful enough for the rough thick coats. I have clipped the winter coat off a miniature horse with no trouble at all. It comes in a case with a charging unit and 2 batteries and one battery will charge completely, long before the other on is used up. The price was very reasonable but they have went up a bit since I bought mine through Valley Vet.