What type of bean trellis?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by JanaKaye, Feb 25, 2005.

1. JanaKaye

JanaKaye Active Member

I'm curious to learn what types of trellising you have tried for pole beans. What is your chosen method, and why? I'm hoping I can build one with things on hand and not have to purchase anything.

Thanks in advance, there's great wisdom on this board :)

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I've made oblisks from willow and tag alder before that worked well, this year though, since my gardens are alot bigger, I'm going to build a grid-like structure out of wood and attach it with bolts to rebar will be driven into the ground. The rebar will have holes drilled through to accept the bolts This will be my support system for all my climbing and vining veggies. I can leave the rebar in the ground and remove the grid for winter storage.

3. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

I use fence i don't know what you call it but its about 8" x 8" square kind they use for pasture around here put on t posts about 1 foot off the ground which makes it about 5 foot tall works really good If you could find some old fence it would not cost much to do at all We also use it for cukes and tomatoes

Bigdog :)

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We put up one 16' cattle panel each year...pole beans at one end and cukes at the other....usually plant late spinach/lettuce on the shady side and helps get a crop late into the hot Mo. summers. DEE

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

My Dad makes his out of cane, but I'm using willow as we have plenty of it and I don't want any cane on my place (his cane patch is taking over!).