Homesteading Forum banner

What type of doors do you prefer on your cages/hutches?

• Swing in (swings to inside top of cage)

• Swing out (hinged on side)

• Lift up (top lifts up)

• Other (anything I have not though of)?

• Combination 1 (2 doors-swing out and lift up)

• Combination 2 (2 doors- swing in and lift up)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK the previous thread got me thinking. I posted my own reasons for my preference of swing out doors...but would like to see what other people think.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
Swing out, definitely. I've always had swing outs hinged on one side and I like that I can move the door out of my way. This time around, I bought 2 four hole cage banks that have swing in doors and I can't STAND them. Even with the little clips on the top that hold the doors open, I still end up snagging on them if I have to reach in far enough that my shoulder catches on one of the door corners. I've got bunnies that love to stand at the door for smooching, and it's quite difficult to open a swing in door when a rabbit stands there insisting on a good head rub. I would LOVE to convert them to swing out, but the opening is WAY too large, and I wouldn't have enough room for the waterer and feeder on the front of the cage with the doors mounted that way.

All the cages I'm building have swing out doors.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
I voted "other". My doors swing out and down and occupy nearly the whole front of the cage. I really like the full access this gives me. Since I don't use water bottles and seldom use the feed hoppers (I really prefer crocks) this style works great for me.

Now if I could have my dream cage, I think I'd go for two half size doors, one that opens down and one that is hinged to the side. More flexibility when being mobbed by pyranhas. Er- I mean hungry fryers. :D

·
Premium Member
27,965 Posts
My doors swing out and down like an oven door. There is a door on the top of the cage too but since the cages are stacked and taller than waist high I don't use them. We use the door like a ramp when putting the rabbits back. The big breeding cage has a door that swings in and up, I hate it. It always falls down when I'm taking a rabbit out.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I bought my original cages with doors that swing out, hinged on the left. I have built all the rest of my cages the same way. I seem to like that best although I like the idea of Danaus29's doors and using them like a ramp to get the rabbits back in the cage. I like that the doors hinged on the left swing right out of the way and they're easy to close when I"m being attacked by a bunch of furry beasts trying to eat my lumberjacket!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I hope I voted right. Combination 1. I built my first two cages (36w/24d/24h). I put a door that swings open to the left on the front and the lid lifts up on the top. I looove them. They were pricey to build, so the next two I bought and the door swings in to the top. Hate them. :( I bought two other cages that the door is suppose to swing out to the top and thought 'What a PITA!', so I turned them sideways so they swing out to the left.

Can't remember where I heard it, but someone said they turn all their cages upside down, so the door is on the left and opens to the right cuz they're left-handed. LOL

·
Registered
157 Posts
I definitely like the swing out cage doors. We have extra-large grow out cages that have the doors that swing in and up, and the kits had a habit of jumping onto the door as I opened it.

·
winding down
3,471 Posts
Mine open down and out, too. Big doors that I can fit head and shoulders into if need be, with a good overlap on the cage wall. I really hate the ones that swing in...and they scare the rabbits, too! (Well, my rabbits, they do!)

Meg

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I only have a couple cage, but they are huge hutchs that the top lifts up. I love it as I can easily reach every inch of the hutchs to clean.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
It looks like I'm in the minority here -- I have doors that swing in and up, and I like them. I've had other kinds, and wasn't happy with them for one reason or another. My doors stay hooked up when I want them to because I use snaps (like on a dog leash) to fasten them either closed or open. I do have to nudge rabbits out of the way sometimes when opening the doors, but on the other hand, the rabbits are much less likely to push the door open themselves and escape, something they can do with a door that opens out.

I do like the idea of having the whole front of the cage open, though -- I may try that with the next cages I build. Tops that open would be good except that I hang my cages high and wouldn't be able to reach them.

The biggest problem I used to have with the doors of my cages was getting scratched on the opening sides, so when I made the ones I have now, I left long stubs of wire and bent them all back. It was more work but I don't get scratched up. (I do have some of the rubber/plastic strips that are supposed to go on the edges of the door openings, but decided to try this instead.)

Kathleen

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
It really depends on the cage. I have all three. My favorite is the swing in, but they only work on my brood cages. The way my drop boxes are positioned, either the doe is in the box or out the way, so no worries there. I like the top openings second best. My show cages are 10X18(please don't say this is too small, I've been doing this for a long time and know what is roomy enough and what isn't), so by the time I put the feeder and water line on there was no room for a door. They work well through. The main thing about these two types are if you don't latch them the rabbits rarely get out. With the swing doors they always get out if you forget to latch. On my growout cages I have swing out doors, as I need to be able to put a feeder on the door. If it wasn't for that I'd have swing in. My bucks have swing out doors because that set of cages is very old and thats what I used then. They are 14X24 and have the feeder on the door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts