What TV service to get?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have cable and don't know much about other options. I am moving and need to get some kind of dish thing. Am I correct that there are many different companies that offer satellite TV? I always here about directtv and dish network. Are those the biggest? Are there others worth checking into?

I know I have to have all the junk installed, but that they usually have specials to get that part free. Then there's the programming charge every month...isn't there an activation charge like once a year or something?

I generally watch the weather channel and movie channels. I guess I might be watching more TV so add PBS and those types of things. I'd rather just have really good pay per view than all the movie channels as I get tired of watching movies bits at a time.

Which one has that rural channel everyone talks about?

Anything I ought to know before I order?

Jena

2. bare

bare Head Muderator

There's just the two Jenna. I've had 'em both and to my mind it's just about a toss up.

3. Rod Torgeson

Rod Torgeson Well-Known Member

Jena.....I have Dish Network and have had it for about 5 years. I get 50 or 60 channels plus the local channels(ABC, CBS, NBC plus a few more) from Portland, Oregon. The package I have includes the RFDTV or the rural channel which I think you are asking about. The price is $31.99 a month. Without the satellite dish I would not get very good reception and only a couple channels. I believe they(Dish network) has three different packages depending on how many channels you want to receive. And of course the more channels the more money. Hope this helps. Rod in Appleton, WA

4. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I have experienced both, and would NOT recomend Dish network.
    Scott

5. Polly in NNY

Polly in NNY Well-Known Member

I personally agree with Scott. We've had both DirecTV and Dish. DirecTV allowed us more options in choosing the programming that we wanted. We bought a basic package and then added some ala carte channels. Dish only allows you to buy from pre-made packages.
    You specifically asked about RFDTV, that channel is available on both Dish and DirecTV.