What trucks you like best?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bergere, May 4, 2004.

1. bergere

bergere Just living Life

OK,,, What trucks you like best? Ford, Chevy or?? What years have you found to be the most reliable? What do you like and don't like about them.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

you can't beat a flb/coe with a 13 sp. and 370 rears with a 400 cummins and air rid/sliding fifth wheel ,next would be the k-10 or k17 kenworth on an air ride suspension running 22.5 low profile tires. of course the standard frtlnr classic is still a good choice,but the the internation eagle is also a fair road truck, the ch613 mack and the new visons have a serious flaw there turning radius is lousey.but they get the job done, and the top of the line trucks on the market ,we can't forget the western star. but overall the coe is a cheaper design ,

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Hi Bergere!
    I know everyone has a favorite. Mine would be Chevy. I've had Fords and Chevy's over the years, but the Chevy's have been more reliable for me.
    (I know people can say the same thing about Ford's being better) :haha:
    I'm just telling you about my experience.

Also, I love my little Toyota pickup for an all round dependable, cheap on gas, piddle around the farm truck. It's not pretty anymore, but it keeps on going.

4. Jagger

Jagger Well-Known Member

Always been a chevy man. First car was a truck 1974 3/4 ton 4x4.
    These late model trucks are great. Parts are availble everywhere, easy to work on. Great off-road, easy to modify. All around truck. I currently own 1986 3/4 ton 4x4 wouldn't trade it for nothing. I only owned 1 ford, biggest mistake of my life. Oh well live and learn. There are no drawbacks to late model chevrolet trucks or 4x4's. At least in my eyes.

Jagger

5. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I had a toyota 4 wd for 11 years and absolutely loved it, had to have the transmission rebuilt but other than that put 160k miles on it with no problems. when I can afford it, I plan on buying another one. until then I am stuck driving a taurus, yuck, lol.

Mel-

6. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Fords handle the best, very comfortable to drive. I liked my old 77 Ford but I have my doubts about the current versions electricals. Chevy is the best all round gas truck but Dodge isn't far behind and is better looking. For a diesel its gotta be Dodge with the Cummins, preferably with a standard tranny. My SIL just bought a 2004 5.7 litre Hemi powered Dodge half ton. It's nice but we'll have to see how it ends up. Too much of a car at the moment, no dirt or scratches yet!

7. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I think it also depends on the year - some years are better than others. I had the same experience with later year Ford electrical stuff. Two years ago I got the Dogde half ton short cab. I like it because even though there is no back seat there is lots of room behind the seat for groceries, etc. It was the first year for that model.

So for the 70's I liked the Ford, then had a 1991 GMC that was great, now have the 2002 Dodge.

8. MomInGa

MomInGa Well-Known Member

Those driven by men in cowboy hats.......

(grins)

Gesh, I typed that out loud, didn't I.

9. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

225-6 Dodge with 4spd. 300-6 Ford with 4spd. 292-6 Chevy with 4 spd. In that order with single barrel carb, no computers. Perferably in a 3/4 ton. And I dont think much of Chevy/GMC bodies after 1972. If you needed to tow then either Chevy 454 or Dodge 440 big block. As to overall best truck, 3/4 ton Jeep pickup was most efficient design even if box very rust prone. Didnt really like AMC/Kaiser/Nash engines, best to graft in a slant six or 300Ford and of course with a 4 speed.

Course if you just want a grocery getter, I think '70s Datsun 620 was about best small truck. Also like 90's 4cyl Ford Ranger.

10. I like my Chevy s-10. It's been very reliable and I've only spent maybe $200 besides routine maintenence since we've had it (6 yrs)

The only two things I don't like about it. It's to small to do a lot of the work I want to do (Didn't realize I'd be moving to a homestead when we bought it). It doesn't have 4wd..

Other than that I love it. We've put about 100k on it since we've had it and it had 16k when we got it...

oh yea the other thing I like about it. It's paid for.

11. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

the post above was mine

12. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I love my 2000 Ford F-150. It now has 74,000 miles, and the only time it has seen the inside of a shop is for routine maintenance. It has the 5.7 litre V-8 and will pull a freight train. Quiet and comfortable inside. Best vehicle I've ever owned, and I've owned tons of cars and trucks. I had a 1978 F-150 that was almost as good. So I'm a Ford man for life. For the record, my stepson hates his 2001 Chevy truck. Seems it is in the shop more than in his garage.

13. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

After several Fords, (the last one caught on fire) I now have a Toyota Tundra. I've had it for 3 years without a problem. Will probably hang on to the truck for 10 years.

One of my buddies has a 99 Ford F350 and a 00 Ford F250. Both of them are starting to rust out already!!!

Frankly, I don't see a great deal of difference between the brands. The newcomers on the block (Toyota and Nissan) are certain to cut into Ford/Chevy/Dodge sales. The consumer wins......when competition forces manufacturers to build a better vehicle.

14. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Ford F-150, Crew Cab, 4 x 4, V-8, short box, pull anything. Very comfortable ride, which is what we use it for - riding about 700 miles each way, every other month to the farm, on all kinds of roads - very tough-nasty roads at times in the winter, most comfortable vehicle we ever had (which includes a jaguar '85 - usless piece of junk and expensive - lost my mind for a while - I guess).

Alex

15. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Thank you everyone,, that is a lot to sort through!

16. poppy

poppy Guest

Been carrying mail for 26 years and wore out a lot of vehicles. Also 3 other carriers in our office. We do have some rough roads. S10 pickups and blazers won't hold up at all. Ford rangers are more durable, but weak in the brake department. Nissan and toyota are much more reliable with fewer repairs, but parts can be more expensive.

17. ducktapehero

ducktapehero Active Member

Ford may have some issues with its cars but it knows how to build a decent truck. If you're looking for a used one I suggest getting an older full size model with the 300ci(4.9l) inline 6. This motor actually pulls better than some small V-8's and will run forever. Chevy and Dodge made good inline 6 motors but you'd have to buy a REAL old truck to get those.

18. mom,

there is this dealership in topeka ks that only sells pickups. whenever I'd drive by there, the parking lot would be full of cowboys (with the hat and boots) kicking the tires! was worth the drive just to watch ;)

I don't think I've seen a single cowboy hat or boot since moving back to indiana :(

Mel-

19. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

I like Chevy 4X4's best. We bought a new 2000 in '99. It is a z71 extended cab. We were going to trade last year but DH didn't like the looks of the new Chevy's hood. So we are waiting to see if the body design is changed. Ours only has about 39000 mi. We bought a 4X4 Tacoma Toyota the first of this year. It is a '96 model. We use it for errands and to run back and forth to the rental places.

We have had Chevy's since 1977.

20. scorpian5

scorpian5 Well-Known Member

I have a 99 f-150 and have never had any problems with it.