What Truck

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jeffinmaine, Feb 21, 2005.

1. jeffinmaine

jeffinmaine Member

I'm just curious to see what you all have for trucks....

I drive a 94 F-150 4x4, that I also plow snow with here at the farm. I'm trying to get a larger truck to haul hay and firewood with. What are you using?

2. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

for now the nissian lifeboat... till the engine work is done on my 65 f-250.
    he better hurry the exaust felloff the nissan the other day now it sounds like a farm tractor.

3. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

92 f150. I'm in a similar boat as you. It's a nice truck but for hauling hay (or any quantity of firewood) a larger truck would be nice. I'm thinking that down the road I would like a small one (ranger or s10) for general running around and a larger one (f250, f350 or a chevy 1500 maybe) for the bigger jobs.

Mike

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

93 Toyota T-100. lots of mileage. Reliable. Showing some rust now around the rear wheel wells. I've been generally please for the use of this vehicle over it's life so far, and hope to get a few more years out of it.

5. Vera

Vera Well-Known Member

'91 Ford F150, extended cab, camper shell. Perfect for my needs and reliable to a fault. The only thing I get a hankering for once in a while is the option of 4WD for the occasional bad winter road conditions... but I'd want it in this truck :D

6. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

DH has an '86 F150 4x4. Love it but could do with a bigger truck with more seating, hate having to take two vehicles if everyone wants to go to the feed store etc.

7. OD

OD Well-Known Member

I drive a 93 F-350 4 door. Dh has a 78 F-150 with over 500k miles on it that he bought new. He's bought something newer a few times to replace it, but always sells the newer one & keeps on driving the old one. He says that it just can't be replaced. :)

8. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

2004 F-150 with 4.6L V-8. Prior to this one, I had a 2000 model with the 5.4 V-8. It was the best truck I ever owned; no problems whatsoever. Had a 1996 almost as good. Before that I had a 1978 that I kept for sentimental reasons since it was my Dad's. I had a couple of late 70's and early 80's GM models without any luck at all.

"I'm a Ford Truck Man. That's all I drive."

My stepson loves his new 2005 Toyota Tacoma. I was impressed with it looks-wise; but it's just too small for my needs.

9. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Dodge Ram diesel - long bed 4x4
    Best homesteading investment we've made after the land and the tractor...

10. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Hubby drives a 2002 GMC 4x4 with about 70K miles (100+ per day).

I drive a 1999 Chevy Blazer 4x4.

Farm truck is a 1974 Chevy 1 ton Dump. Affectionately known as Big Blue. Looked long & hard for one of these and very glad we found it. Hauls hay & straw, cattle panels, calf hutches. With the sides up we can haul grains and stone.

11. xbeeman412

xbeeman412 Well-Known Member

2000 F 550 4 door 4 x 4 and 2002 F150 single cab 8 ft bed.
    Pull a 40 ft trailer total weight truck and trailer 39k with the F550. GVW 17500 for the F550.

God Bless.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Mike,I got 9 years of high miles out of my s10 with the small V6.VERY reliable truck,speedo went out at 70,000 miles or so after a couple years,did brakes/batteries and tires,oh,and a clutch I let the niece burn up teaching her to drive a stick(wife a bit unhappy,oops!)THATS IT! Awesome reliability,even the paint and seats/interior held up and looked new when I gave it to nephew.Hope the new ones are as good,if so,you just cant go wrong.

BooBoo

13. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

1990 D250 Cummins diesel 4X4 and a 1993 F250 ext cab 2WD. Anything smaller than a 3/4 ton is just too small for our needs.

14. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............First Ford truck was a 1976 F250 Supercab that i traded a friend out of for my 1970 pontiac . My next truck , and the one that i miss the most is a 1978 F350 , Super Camper Special with 460\Auto . That truck was very special and If I could rotate my foot 180 degrees I'd kick my own grits for ever getting rid of it . Currently , I've got a 1999 PSD diesel , f250 , 4x4 with 84k miles . I bought it new at the Smallest Ford Dealership in the state of Texas at Gordon , texas which is 75 miles west of ft. Worth . If they didn't have a sign up you'd never know that they're even there cause the town is so small . But , if you want to kick back with a few cold beers you've got to Drive about 5 miles west over to MINGUS , which is well known for the Rowdy folks who play Dodge Ball with Beer Bottles :eek: . My next Love is my 1977 , f250 Hiboy which I've been kinda restoring for the last 3 years. I bought it with a flatbed but eventually I'd like to restore it with a Regular pickup bed , but that's alittle further down the road . If , i was going to buy a New Diesel truck....I'd buy a Dodge....The 6.0 liter engine currently used by Ford , which was introduced in '03 continues to have major problems and I just wouldn't want Anything to do with that engine as long as Ford keeps putting it in their trucks . Sorry Ford but I'm just stating the Truth , ..fordy.. :eek: :)

15. D

D Well-Known Member

I've heard that the Cummins Diesel engine will outlast everything else on your rig. I don't know if that bias holds for northern states; you have to warm them up longer for sure. My ex had a 3/4 ton 4WhDrv 1980 Chevy with a dumpbed and homemade winch that went anywhere and hauled minilogs. My favorite truck was a Toyota 4WhDrv but that's probably too small for you...

16. Lolly-Dolly

Lolly-Dolly Well-Known Member

This Driveway is like a redneck Rodeo

'79 Ford F-100 Explorer Package, short wheel base, fleetside (374,000 miles). '65 Ford F-100 Long wheel Base Stepside (170,000 miles),(both of those DH has been driving since High school). The new baby is a 2000 Ford F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 Longbed Diesel. Each of those are driven at least once a week. he's also working on fixing up a '63 ford truck, but right now it's a buncha parts...

While we're at it the tractors are Ford's too, '41 Model 9N, and '48 Model 8N.

I'm the only rebel here, I drive a '98 Jeep Cherokee sport 4x4, but I'll prolly get a ford F-150 next

17. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I lust for the F150, with an extended cab. Not looking for a newer one, because (no offense to drivers with brand new trucks) all the plastic panels on the newer models make them look sort of bloated or something to me. <shrug> But I probably don't have any room to talk, since all I have right now is a CJ-7 and a CJ-8 with the bed pulled off and plywood put down.

Still, they're better than nothing, and they'll do for now. :)

18. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I drive a 94 F150 shortbed. Hubby drives a 98 Chevy Silverado long bed. Neither has 4-wheel drive (Only the Man-Child's Jeep does).

I love my truck!
    Meg

19. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Had a 95 ex cab 4X4 short bed red F-150. Plan to get another F-150 when I return to US but have $2500 GM card discount if I get a GM... Might make DH get a GM sedan for his commuter car!

20. RMShepp

RMShepp Active Member

2002 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel 4 x 4 extended cab, 8' bed