what tree has puffballs?

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by droit, Mar 26, 2005.

1. droit

droit New Member

Hi, I live in East Texas and wondered about this tree that has gumball size puffballs on it, they are golden, and break up into fly-a-aways...is this what they call Cottonwood? the tree itsself looks kinf of light-barked like a sycamore or birch.

any help would be appreciated , thanks

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

nope not cotton wood
    soft fluffy balls falling off in spring time would be sycamore, inside those puffballs is the actual seed

3. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

We call them cottonwood trees in our area. The ball is golden in color after it is dry, then bursts open, and has cotton looking fibers/seeds which go everywhere.

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

The boys and I call those puffy seed balls "bommyknockers" but agree the tree is a Sycamore :)

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

We call them Monkey Droppings, but alas, Sycamore is correct. Have them things by the millions, here, and they plant them at every new thing they build around here. Messy, messy things, and ugly, in my opinion.

6. kmrouse

kmrouse New Member

Yep, that's a Sycamore. Scalely bark that looks a lot like a Maple tree, large
    leaves that resemble Maple leaves. I'm told the wood is often used as a substitue for Maple to make butcher block cutting boards.

When we moved onto our place in Liberty Co. 4 yrs ago, I thought they were Maples. Cottonwoods, I believe, put forth a white bloom much like the dogwoods do, only later in the season.

By chance do you have any Pecan trees? I was wondering if yours have started
    blooming or putting foliage on. Mine haven't started yet, and the locals tell me it's a possible sign that more cool weather may still be in the works......

Mike in SE Tx

7. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

sycomore tree. Have pictures?
    tnborn