What Tools To Take?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Dec 14, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ok if your moving from a Farm to Nonfarm.How do you decide what Tools you don't need?

No Lawn,Garden.22X28 House,can't build any bigger.10X10 Shed can't build anymore.No animals other than Cats and Dogs.

I've never had this problem before.I know most my Shop Tools,Fencing Tools,Gardening Tools,Canning Stuff,some Butchering stuff,and Wood Cutting stuff I will not need.

But do I take like my Chainsaw,Grinder,Vise.Not that I have room to use them properly.

Ok what do you take?

big rockpile

2. tnhomestead

tnhomestead Well-Known Member

You dont move there????
    Store the tools till you get back to the country?

3. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

take em all every bit!

4. big rockpile

Quit that! I keep thinking this will be nicer :rolleyes: Don't know how but I do.

big rockpile

5. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I'd want to know more, like:
    -tiny little lot?
    -no room to build a deck, patio, etc.?
    -not even a tiny garden or lawn?
    -no hobbies where you could use the shop tools in the shed?

I have tons of tools I hardly ever use. A few, probably never again. But it's nice knowing they're around and I doubt that I've ever sold a tool, or will ever sell any unless I'm extremely disabled. My problem is having two places about 1.5 hours apart - the tool I need at the time is usually at the other place. :shrug:

This can't be you, Rock. Has to be someone else.

6. big rockpile

[​IMG]

I know! The Lot is 100'X100'.The only place I could put a small Garden is at the corner of the Drive.Everything I build has to be approved and I've just about did all I can on this Lot.

This place is about an hour from here.I don't need to move from here.Both places are about equal in likes and dislikes.Just in some ways makes no sence to keep both places.

big rockpile

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

You can never have too many tools. The ones you dont take will be the first ones youll need

8. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

9. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

So stay where you are at and sell the small place. No way would I sell my stuff to move someplace where I have to ask permission to do what I wish. Especially not with such a small lot. Don't you have 5 or 10 acres right now? :shrug:

10. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

Have an auction. Everyone will take your old stuff away. Get a Lowe's card and buy all new tools for every job as it comes up. This way, you won't have to look for your tools. You already will know where to look.

Man, this problem solving is easy!

What......what do you mean my problems. What are you all looking at.

11. big rockpile

Got 20 acres.Very Isolated.Year round spring.Close to State Forest.State Park.Close to 3 Lakes.No neighbors in sight.

big rockpile

12. Auric

Auric Registered Doofus

A guy without tools just ain't natural. And moving somewhere where you have no need to use your hands is even worse. Have you ever driven through town and seen a guy sitting in a folding chair in his garage just staring at the street? Always makes me real sad, cause I know he's got nothing to do, just time on his hands, and is waiting to die.

13. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

Why would you want to leave heaven on earth? Are you punishing yourself? :baby04:

14. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Well-Known Member

By some definitions, Man is the "Tool-Using Animal."

As above. Take every single tool. Heck, I moved halfway around the world, pared my possessions down to the bare minimum, but I brought ALL MY TOOLS. I'm about to do it again, and guess what?

Are you sure you are a man, rock? :p

15. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Do you have a garage? IF so, a set of shelves along one wall should do the trick.

When I lived in town, the projects were small and so hand tools worked fine.

I didn't get into things like power screw drivers until I moved out to when I could build something larger. For just the odd repair job in town, a handsaw, a manual screwdriver, and so forth was fine.

16. big rockpile

Well I would have all my Bills paid.Even though we're not have a problem paying them.Really the only reason. :shrug:

As far as what do Guys do there without Tools? They go Fishing from March to November.

big rockpile

17. Madame

Madame Well-Known Member Supporter

Bring all of them. After 18 months, look at what you have and decide what you do or don't need.
    Good luck with the move.

18. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

Send the tools to me, I'll keep them safe in case you need them again.

19. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

I guess that is true. After all November is deer hunting and December is for duck hunting. But the really good crappie fishing starts in January.

Why in the world would anyone move from 20 acres of freedom to BigBrotherville?

20. big rockpile

Adron my BIL said he caught 70 crappie up there day befor yesterday.Trout are suppose to be bitting by the House.

Hey go on down read my other Post The Boss Has Spoke.

big rockpile