what tools do you like?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Terri in WV, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    I started putting down hardwood floor on Thanksgiving and I'm finally to the half way point! I think I might actually get it done. I could go a lot faster if I didn't have my little helpers helping me(and if I knew more about what I was doing). What I really, really like is the air gun. I'm looking around the house to see what other projects I can come up with to use it :D . My bro brought over the rouder(sp?) tonight for me to have a go at but I don'w think I'll like it as well as that air gun.

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Hmmmm, probably would be easier to ask what tools I don't like... :D

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Cordless sawsall and a variety of blades ----Don't leave home without it.

mikell

4. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't got time to prepare a list like this, isn't there some way I can just scan in the Sears tool catalog :confused:

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

"isn't there some way I can just scan in the Sears tool catalog"

Would that be Sears Sears or Kmart Sears?

6. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

They've always had good hand tools. Hope that doesn't change. Also the lifetime warranty. I've used that a couple times when I broke sockets abusing them (two foot breaker bar on a 3/8 drive socket :D )

7. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

A lot us have a mix of whatever we could afford at the time, what's lasted through the years. I built up a lot of my tools from auction sales.

For hand tools, I like S-K, but I have Craftsman, Diamond, Thorson, Wright, some Chinese combination wrenches over 1 1/2 inches for hyrdaulics, Curtiss-Wright and so on.

Power tools I've had good luck with Milwaukee and Bosch, I have some cordless DeWalt.

If money is no object, check out the Snap-On catalog. Just don't blame me if you have a heart attack from the prices.

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Be careful with those power tools.. they can bite you if you don't know how to use them.Power tools actually cause more injuries & deaths than guns.

9. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

That pretty much describes me to a T. I will say that if you're going to be using a particular tool often, buy good quality. For tools that you'll only use very rarely (perhaps an air nailer/stapler for hardwood floors), consider renting it or purchasing it and then flipping it on Ebay. Auctions are sometimes the perfect opportunity for things like compressors, cabinets, workbenchs, chains, chainfalls, air line and pipe, etc... more 'shop related' type stuff. Auctions are usually not a great place for hand tools and such.

cheers,

10. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Compressor and air tools. Skeptical at first, sold when I installed hardwood molding. Can't beat 'em. From nailers to impact wrenches to paint sprayers.

11. Terri in WV

Terri in WV Well-Known Member Supporter

south central Kentucky(finally out of all the snow
    My bro gets all his fun tools at the auction and is slowly bringing them over here to set up a shop in the garage. I'm glad he has them, I get to try them out and don't have to buy them. He's hunting up his compound miter saw to bring over and I know I can find lots of uses for it.

12. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

Milwaukee 18v cordless drill by far the most used tool since we moved here. We also got a makita 12v Impact Driver, but I dont like it as much as the drill. Its pretty slow for long screws. It is good for ladder work though. Also we have a 12" Makita Sliding Compund Mitre Saw (we got the driver on rebate with it) We have used that a lot also, it makes very clean cuts fast, where are our little cordless Milwaukee has trouble with 2x's some times, that is much better. Plus it requires 2 hands, instead of 4 like the circular one can require sometimes.

13. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

DH swears by DeWalt power tools and Craftsman hand tools. Last big investment was a DeWalt screw drive? circular saw. He was building a foaling stall for me with rough cut lumber and swore he couldn't do it without this saw. He has lots of them and they do last. A couple of years ago our oldest DD was short on cash and asked me what she could get Dad for Christmas. I told her to take all the Craftman hand tools that were damaged (dog chewed, bent, etc) back to Sears for replacement. He loved it! Me, I'm a screwdriver, steak knife, duct tape/baling twine type of gal. But I have asked for my own tool box, preferably with pink tools that no man would want to be caught dead with, that way I'll always know where they are.

Stacy in NY

14. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

I can see it now. . . Windy goes into Sears and gets told there's a 3-day waiting period. . .