Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry I don't have a pic but today my neighbor gave me the best tasting tomato I ever had. It was green with just a few faint yellow stripes. He didn't know the name of it. I'd like to have some to plant next year but don't have any idea how to find out what they are called. can anyone give me some names of tomatoes that are green when they are ripe. thanks

·
In Memoriam
14,801 Posts
If small, 2" or less, Green Zebra would fit the bill except for the good taste part. If it were a big slicer, one of the best is Aunt Ruby's German Green.

Martin

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Paquebot said:
If small, 2" or less, Green Zebra would fit the bill except for the good taste part. If it were a big slicer, one of the best is Aunt Ruby's German Green.

Martin

Hey !!!
I like my green zebras....the Aunt Rubie's are good too.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hoosierdaddy said:
Go to www.tomatogrowers.com click on green tomatoes on the left side of the home page and see if you can identify from the pics. I love that site.
thanks, it looks the most like the green pineapple. I thought about saving the seed but figured since it was grown in among her other tomatoes that it was probably crossed with something

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
kyhippie said:
thanks, it looks the most like the green pineapple. I thought about saving the seed but figured since it was grown in among her other tomatoes that it was probably crossed with something
Why not save some and try them? You might be surprised. I grew about 15 different heirlooms VERY tightly in my tiny city garden; I didn't save seeds because I thought they'd cross. Volunteers the next year seemed to maintain traits from their parents. And those darned grape and currant volunteers this year are spot on to what they have been in the past or close enough.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
katydidonce said:
Why not save some and try them? You might be surprised.
I agree. I saved some Nyagous seeds from tomatoes purchased at a farm stand last summer. (No garden last year because of the move.) They were just so wonderful, I thought I'd try it. Well, they aren't ripe yet, but they are the same size, will obviously ripen dark (they are a "black" tomato), and the foliage is exhibiting what I understand to be a characteristic of Nyagous (and some other varieties) - the foliage looks perpetually wilty, like it needs water, but it doesn't, and water does nothing to improve how it looks. I wouldn't trade it with others as Nyagous, because I'm not 100% sure it didn't cross in the farmer's field, but if it tastes as good as those I had last summer, it'll be one I save for myself every year!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.