What to wear

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

This might be a dumb question, but what should I wear when I go to talk to store owners about carrying my chickens in their store?

I can do anything from trailer trash (no offense to those who live in trailers...being trailer trash is an art form) appearance to corporate ladder climber.

I usually would opt for nice jeans and a sweater, but I wonder if dressing up more would make me appear more credible, or if going the bibs and straw hat route would make me appear more farm-credible.

I'm also considering a change of appearance when selling my meat on the corner (yeah, I know I'm asking for jokes on that one). It's been going ok, but not as good as I would like. I'm thinking if I can make myself look as much like a "real" meat store as possible, I'll get more folks to stop. Set up a canopy and table, put my hair up, wear a nice clean apron. I sure wish I could fire up a BBQ, but I don't have the license for that.

I also have the opportunity to set up my trailer at a bar. I've avoided this because I was afraid my little old chicken ladies would not be caught dead at a bar. On the other hand, drunks are the best impulse buyers going and the owner just loves my stuff. Free advertising. I'm thinking of doing "happy hour" at the bar one day a week, from like 3 to 7. What do you all think?

I had posted about this before and I did talk to the meat store owner who has his shop a block from the bar. He said he had no problem with it and he sort of laughed that I was checking with him. It made me feel better about it though.

Jena

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I would do jeans, a very nice top and nice (but casual) shoes. I wouldn't dress up TOO much --- definitely keep it kind of casual --- but make it thoughtful and apparent you care about your appearance.

You likely have very nice tops but, if you don't, I cleaned up on a mess of them on eBay the last few months --- very high dollar shirts and sweaters for $5-10 each. Some of the best money I've spent in a long time.

The apron idea is right on target. :)

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Its that FIRST impression that counts.

If I were buying chicken I'd be more confident of a good, clean product if the seller looked like he was clean enough to be cooking in a very nice restaurant.

Clean jeans, white shirt, hair up-----simple but very clean.
    You gotta look like you care enough about the fine details of your personal self so the customer gets the feeling you also care about the fine details of processing his food.

4. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    In the immortal words of the girls in "Gypsy" ...You gotta have a gimmick.... I think I got a big yellow chicken suit in the store room....Let me go look. :haha: :p Seriously, clean casual clothes are the way to go. Store owners wont be impressed by the corporate look.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've never tried anything except casual clean jeans or shorts and a polo shirt/ good T shirt. A lady who sold trout (packaged) would slip on rubber gloves before handling the packages. It was a nice touch I countered with waterless handcleaner. We had two big time veggie growers selling at the market one would dress work clothes clean, and the other work clothes dirty. City folk could only handle so much country near their food work clothes clean outsold the other handily, although I would have said his stuff was inferior.
    Selling at a bar! Cool!! If sales suck you can drown your sorrows! Seriously what have you got to loose?? its the odd stuff that works sometimes! The only real sales tactic I use is a profesional (legal for trade cert.) deli scale so the meat is weighed before sale and priced competatively but slightly higher than store prices, and then I arbitrarily round down a few cents off the total. You'd be surprised how many people love the gesture! I rarely put back anything that hits the scale.

6. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

I would go for the clean and neat look, with hair up. Especially as your selling a food product.
    Just a laugh..... last night after being at a rabbit show since 4:00am My husband tells me that the "Wine & Cheese" event we had to be at was "Business Casual" Yikes what to wear. I wear scrubs clothes at work all week, jeans and t-shirts at home. He wears heavy duty work clothes as he works in a paper mill. Neither one of us have much in "business wear" He found his one pair of slacks and a nice shirt. I manage to find a casual suit I hadn't worn in ages......luckily the closet didn't shrink it. The real laugh though is neither one of us really care for wine....but the rest of the goodies tasted good! Guess I better think about finding a sale and getting us a business outfit!
    Denise