Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LIVE YOUR LIFE...
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never done a fall garden before and was wanting suggestions on what to grow. I live in Oklahoma so we won't have frost until maybe the first of October. My tomatoes and cucumbers are about finished and it's time to pull them out and start over. I am not sure what to put in besides winter squash and maybe some beans. Any suggestions? Can I do more summer squash too? I mean Sept won't be like summer, but it won't be freezing either.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
I look at my seed packets, figure out how many days are left in the season, and go from there.

As Mistletoad noted, the early Spring crops make for good Fall crops. Just make sure that you water your seed diligently, and keep things shaded if you run into a hot spell.

That reminds me. I should be outside clearing out that last bed so I can get some beets into the ground...

Pony!

·
Registered
535 Posts
In the fall ,plant your garlic for next year's harvest. I started gathering my garlic from last fall's planting as I need it . YUMMY!! :angel:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Definitely lots to plant. However, I believe that winter squash will have to be in pretty soon to set a crop before frost(it may already be too late). Summer squash has plenty of time. By the way, winter squash is not a winter growing squash but merely the varieties that will store until winter.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Good topic Merrymedic, as I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the link, Pony! :)

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
This year I'm just going to plant peas, carrots and some kale, I think, maybe some broccoli if I can find decent transplants because I'm not doing those from seeds, I never have any luck with them. Maybe plant some onion sets.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wanting to do the same thing. Our spring garden was a disaster due to a 3 month drought this spring.

Most roots crops can grow year round here (Zone 8A) but I plan to use row covers here for the colder months (Jan, Feb)

My only question would be which month to start? Is August too early to compete with all the bugs?

GR

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Remember, crops planted in April or May mature when the insects are at their peak.

The same types of crops planted during mid to late July (I'm at the same latitude as Oklahoma) mature when the insects have largely gone away, so no Jap. beetles, no bean spots, etc..

Plus the shortening days of September prompt plants to go to fruit more quickly.

I guess this technically is a late-Summer thing although even greens and such need to be in by mid-August.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts