Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im in Central Texas, none of my tomatoes or peppers germinated this season which left me with a lot of empty space in my garden. What could I plant in their place that it isnt too late for?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Why not try the tomatoes & peppers again?...Up here in Zone 4, we can't even set ours out for another 8 weeks.
I heard that. Just planted 2 dormant beech and sycamore trees and that's about it until May.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have extra tomato and pepper - we are zone 6-7 (microclimate). Let me know what you need and I can send you. PM me please if you can plant now they were started 3/15 indoors.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I'm in southern California. You should have enough time to start some more tomatoes at least - they don't have to be enormous monsters when you put them out and tomatoes grow fast. Maybe buy a few pepper starts? I got a late start this year on the tomatoes and they just went out last week ((tomatillos at the same time as tomatoes, just didn't do any this year). Peppers, and eggplants went in the ground as well, but this is the normal time of year for that here. Just started pole beans and zukes/summer squash seeds in the ground. If I had more room in my new garden I'd get winter squash and my cucumber succession planting going as well. Swiss chard and kale do just fine pretty much year round, even in the hottest weather if you keep them watered. Don't bother with any cool season stuff other than things like radishes that have a quick turnaround.

For you northerners, the problem in the southwest is that it gets so hot in the summer it can be just like winter, nothing grows or produces, and depending on the how extreme Mother Nature feels like being, she can kill plants. I don't worry about frost dates so much as worry about when the 110-120 weather is going to hit and cook everything. The early early start is to try to get the majority of the stuff up and producing well before the killing heat hits.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have extra tomato and pepper - we are zone 6-7 (microclimate). Let me know what you need and I can send you. PM me please if you can plant now they were started 3/15 indoors.
I would take you up on the offer but Im sitting on a whole lot of seeds that I was planning on lasting me til next spring planting but after seeing the terrible germination rate that Ive gotten from this seed company im not too willing to bet on their seeds keeping long. I got seeds for just about an entire grocery store. Im gonna put them all in the ground late august early september but if some will be able to reach production before the 120* days come id like to fill up the field a little better.

I guess ill give what mish said a shot and get more cukes and kale, and give the tomatoes one last try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sent an email yesterday to the seed company I spent $150 last Summer. Poor germination rate.
I've used seeds that were years old & had better success.
Maybe try soaking the seeds 1st ?
It's disheartening.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sent an email yesterday to the seed company I spent $150 last Summer. Poor germination rate.
I've used seeds that were years old & had better success.
Maybe try soaking the seeds 1st ?
It's disheartening.
Ill give that a shot. I spent a little more than that for all of these seeds and so far the only seeds to germinate are sunflower, corn, pumpkin, cukes and watermelon. And the only one that had the claimed germination rate was the corn. Which i ironically direct sowed and put only one seed per hole. Everything else got 3 seeds or more and the best germination was the pumpkins with 50%

·
Registered
25 Posts
Started the following seeds on 24th March from a N.Y. heirloom seed company in my general area (trying to support sm biz).
Piracicba Broccoli - planted 10 only 3 germinated 2 wks later.
Rainbow Chard - planted 6 only 1 germinated 2 wks later
Ping Tung Long Eggplant - planted 8 zero germinated.
30th March -
New York Early Yellow Onion - planted 48 only 30 germinated.
4th April -
Naples Tomatoes - planted 10 all germinated.

Interesting to note I planted 8 Yellow Tomatoes Seeds I saved from a store bought seedlings last year. Well actually a Resident who I had given a tomato to saved me the seeds on a paper towel. I just threw the towel in my seed bin crumbled up. All germinated.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
When my tomato/pepper/eggplant seeds get old and I start having poor germination, I just put a bunch onto a barely damp paper towel, fold it over the seeds, and place it in a ziplock bag (if it's cold in the house, I put the ziplock in a folded bathroom towel and set the whole shebang on top of a seed starting heat mat). Check it every day after a few days, and any seeds that have germinated, plop those into seed starting pots. Saves a bunch of waiting and wondering.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'm in Central Florida. Too late for tomatoes but peppers, sweet potatoes and beans are good. So are squash,, watermelon and Swiss chard.. Check with your County Extension to see what to plant when in your area.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
It's never too late for tomatoes in hot climates. Tomatoes are semi-succulents that don't like too much water, and do fairly well when it's dry. They do well in the heat if they are somewhat shaded from direct sun... Southern Italy is like S. CA or AZ and they always have bumper crops of tomatoes there.

Last yr, my indoor starts got hit with a cold snap in late April (Zone 4) when they were still in the garage. I lost many of them....When I finally set out the survivors in the garden in late May, I also direct seeded a row. They all germinated, did well and produced a good crop, maturing a month or so later than the indoor starts.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Make friends with your County Ag Extension Office. They can assist you with everything growing. And much more.

Reactions: doc-

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
41,181 Posts
We had several days last week with 93 degree temperatures. Today, it’s cold enough to enjoy a fire in the fire pit and bundle up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I always save a bunch of seed from the best of my home grown tomatos … mostly big beef style though lord knows what they are after 5 or 10 years of saving the seed from previous growth. I general have pretty good luck with germination but not last year but this post reminds me to get a few dug out and started, it will be another 4 to 6 weeks before it is (normal) time o set plants out to grow on and if we are lucky a good crop to be had before first frost end of September. Here in the great lakes area things are very variable from year to year depending upon ice coverage and lake temps!
I must go out to the (cold) greenhouse / back portch and seed a selection from my various collection and put in the heated propagator.....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ill give that a shot. I spent a little more than that for all of these seeds and so far the only seeds to germinate are sunflower, corn, pumpkin, cukes and watermelon. And the only one that had the claimed germination rate was the corn. Which i ironically direct sowed and put only one seed per hole. Everything else got 3 seeds or more and the best germination was the pumpkins with 50%
May I ask what company you ordered from ?

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Reactions: doc-

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
I am trying to get my peppers and tomatoes potted and noticed that the seeds from Baker Creek have had poor germination this year. The pepper and tomato seeds had about 50% germination. That is disappointing because I was hoping to sell some plants. I don't have room to grow hundreds, just a few of each variety I wanted.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I've had some hit or miss germination with Baker Seed as well. Tomatoes and squash type stuff. Also, some of the edible flowers.

This weekend we will do the direct plantings, and will see how the rest of the stuff goes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts